This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Garchomp in doubles.....

#1TheWhiskazPosted 6/19/2014 12:42:37 PM
...in a sun team. Looking to replace Staraptor (zard Y, Venusaur, Meowstic, Meliolisk, Conkeldurr, Staraptor- standard stuff really) for one of two roles of physical attacker that doesn't really care whether the sun is up or not (Conkeldurr's Flame Orbed if you wanna know- I like it to be hole-punchy)

Anyway, what I'm asking is: Choice Scarf or Life Orb? I've been battling in doubles for a decent chunk of time now, but I haven't ever known: is speed as important in doubles as it is in singles? Could I forgo the speed boost from the scarf to add extra power with Life Orb? Also, Dragon Claw or Outrage? can I afford to be locked into Outrage, or is it better to use Dragon Claw and be able to switch moves after a single Dragon type attack? The planned set is fairly standard stuff:

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf/Life Orb
Jolly
Rough Skin
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Rock Slide

I was doubting whether or not to go for EQ, but upon looking through the sets of the other members, every single other member except for Meowstic has Protect (except for Detect on conkeldurr, which I'll probably replace for Protect for more PP), and zard is part Flying, so yeah. And Meowstic is physically defensive, and: 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meowstic: 55-66 (30.3 - 36.4%) -- 50% chance to 3HKO (levels set to 50 for calculations- not factoring in Life Orb in case Choice Scarf is decided on- but with Life Orb, it's only a "guaranteed 3HKO"). Based on that, I shouldn't have too many problems running Earthquake. If this were for singles, Rock Slide would be Stone Edge, but in doubles Rock Slide hits all opponents (as you probably know), so it'd be more useful overall imo.
This time I've posted this in the correct board
---
Official Furfrou of the Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Boards
Unless what you're talking about is either food or something bad, it needs more Furfrou
#2The_Sol_BladerPosted 6/19/2014 12:44:04 PM
You should use Fire Blast instead of Fire Fang
---
R - Official Matador of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board - Rose_Mage's loving husband
3DS FC: 4682-9838-9692 TSV: 841
#3SaintValiancePosted 6/19/2014 2:27:05 PM
The_Sol_Blader posted...
You should use Fire Blast instead of Fire Fang

Disagrees

You should however have Iron Head instead of Rock Slide. You can one hit KO most Flying threats like Charizard & Talonflame with an Outrage anyway. Have Iron Head for Fairies.
---
3DS FC : 3840-6563-7931 Trainer Name - Dillon
Friend Safari : Water, with Frogadier, Wartortle, & the ALMIGHTY BIBAREELL!!!
#4The_Sol_BladerPosted 6/19/2014 2:50:24 PM
SaintValiance posted...
Disagrees

Do you even know what is it for
---
R - Official Matador of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board - Rose_Mage's loving husband
#5acerola-orionPosted 6/19/2014 2:51:14 PM
you should use protect instead of fire fang
---
Now Playing: censorship: the game
#6SaintValiancePosted 6/19/2014 3:00:36 PM
The_Sol_Blader posted...
SaintValiance posted...
Disagrees

Do you even know what is it for

Scizor & Ferrothorn Check. Despite them having better Defense, Garchomp's nuclear attack combined with the x4 weakness will OHKO them anyway. Only thing Fire Blast checks better than Fire Fang is Skarmory.
---
3DS FC : 3840-6563-7931 Trainer Name - Dillon
Friend Safari : Water, with Frogadier, Wartortle, & the ALMIGHTY BIBAREELL!!!
#7The_Sol_BladerPosted 6/19/2014 3:04:12 PM
Ferrothorn is not guaranteed to be KOd by Fire Fang even in the sun, not even with Life Orb. Fire Fang only beats Scizor every time
---
#8Jayroach2Posted 6/19/2014 3:08:06 PM
Garchomp can't afford to forego any speed at all unless it's not a garchomp but a mega garchomp. Personally though I run the EV spread 12 HP/ 180 Atk/ 4 Def/ 60 Sp Def/ 252 Speed
---
Official May of the ORAS Board FC: 3909-8065-9532 IGN: Jarod
ElderOmnivore: "Jayroach, I feel your sarcasm. I got it and like it."
#9shining_SabataPosted 6/19/2014 3:50:22 PM
Is this VGC or everything but ubers doubles?

I have experience with VGC, so if this isn't for VGC take my advice with a grain of salt. (If it adds anything, I also have a lot of experience with/against Garchomp within VGC)

general things:
-max speed so you don't lose speed ties with other garchomps
-rock slide is probably one of garchomp's most important moves (spread+flinch+rock type)
-definitely keep earthquake too for the type coverage (hitting steel+rock usually)
-dragon claw over outrage (you can't choose your target with outrage)

item:
-life orb most notably(imo) lets you ohko other garchomps with dragon claw (of course it gives a general power boost, but that's what I noticed most in trying out items)
-choice scarf gives a huge surprise factor against opposing garchomps and scarf salamences (unfortunately, you won't be able to ohko garchomps or salamences through their intimidate)
-lum berry is great for absorbing will-o-wisp without having to switch out and gives your team something to absorb a sleep
-focus sash/yache berry/haban berry also options if you wanted some potential extended longevity

In VGC, the standard has typically been:
Garchomp@Lum Berry/Focus Sash/other
Jolly
Rough Skin
252atk/252spe/4hp
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Protect

Personally, I always found the lum berry most useful in general. But you may be confident in your status absorbing ability with Meowstic on the team, so the life orb power boost could be great.

Choice scarf always took me by surprise the most, but it never really scared me since it would then be locked into an easy resist/immunity. I would run this if you need to knock out/cripple opposing salamences/dragons.

And if you want to extend its lifespan, I'd go focus sash before the berries. I never liked the sash too much though, because I always found my garchomps taking plenty of chip damage because it does have great resistances that I liked to take advantage of.

TLDR:
You can't choose your target with outrage.

---
3DS FC: 1607 1875 1029
Pokemon X Name: Jim
#10Jayroach2Posted 6/19/2014 4:11:43 PM(edited)
True. For my set I was assuming you were talking about VGC since my set is designed to take Mega Manectrics HP Ice and 50:50 with Pyroars Life orb HP Ice while OHKOing Char Y with rock slide
---
Official May of the ORAS Board FC: 3909-8065-9532 IGN: Jarod
ElderOmnivore: "Jayroach, I feel your sarcasm. I got it and like it."