This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to tell if a Pokemon on the GTS is hacked before you trade?

#1JimmyEatWorldPosted 7/2/2014 4:04:46 PM
Hey everyone.

This is probably a noob question but I'm interested in using the GTS, is there a way to tell if a Pokemon somebody has put up for trade is hacked or not? I'm not even close to being a Pokemon expert so I don't know what telltale signs I should be looking for.

Thanks for any help!
---
---
#2FuneralCakePosted 7/2/2014 4:07:35 PM
If it's shiny, there's about a 90% chance it's hacked, so keep that in mind.

Otherwise, no, it's really not possible to tell. You're only going to be able to see most of the information that would tell you it's hacked after you do the trade, not before. The only tip-off I can think of would be inconsistent levels (like a level 1 Mewtwo).
---
everything sucks
| 3DS FC: 3437 - 4335 - 3104 | | Friend Safari: Panpour, Wartortle, Frogadier |
#3Lich_SandroPosted 7/2/2014 4:08:41 PM
No way to tell AFAIK

A perfectly hacked poke is the same as a regular poke, and I'm not sure if badly hacked ones can be traded away.

I remember a few pokes with illegal moves/natures (usually for events) going through the pokebank check, but I don't know if they can be GTS'd.
---
Natwaf congratulates raytan, Winner of the CB IX Guru contest!
And not an anthropomorphic personification
#4vermillion719Posted 7/2/2014 4:13:08 PM
Not really, unless it's an obvious hack. But honestly, if it's not obvious enough that you can tell just looking at it, then you don't really need to worry about it anyway.
---
FC: 0345-0681-3179 (Mienfoo, Pancham, Riolu)
"corn salad is mai waifu" -NME_Enterprises
#5Lich_SandroPosted 7/2/2014 4:20:16 PM
Though really, the problem with GTS isn't hacked pokemon being given away like candy

It's the awful demands for the pokemon
---
Natwaf congratulates raytan, Winner of the CB IX Guru contest!
And not an anthropomorphic personification
#6SuperLuigi9624Posted 7/4/2014 9:04:45 AM
There's an actual way to tell if it's hacked.
To the left of the name, there's a blue hexagon. That's verification that it's legit. If it isn't there, it's probably hacked. Though, they could have traded it from an illegal version of the game, in that case it technically is legit, but you should only trust blue hexagon names.
#7HozuPosted 7/4/2014 9:06:07 AM
SuperLuigi9624 posted...
To the left of the name, there's a blue hexagon. That's verification that it's legit. If it isn't there, it's probably hacked. Though, they could have traded it from an illegal version of the game, in that case it technically is legit, but you should only trust blue hexagon names.

Uh, the pentagon only means it originated in 6th gen. Nothing more, nothing less.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qCo47.png http://i.imgur.com/Q7Q8S.png
#8ShlikithPosted 7/4/2014 9:07:24 AM
SuperLuigi9624 posted...

Technically, blue hexagon just means it was caught or born in Kalos. I have plenty of pokes without it, but I transferred them from the bank myself and they are legit....
---
3DS FC: 3093-7070-8430 - Mii: Ian - PM your FC if you add me!! :)
Pokemon X Trainer:Tyson - Safari: 1 - Gabite, 2 - Noibat, 3 - Sliggoo
#9Inferno05Posted 7/5/2014 10:19:25 AM
Shlikith posted...
SuperLuigi9624 posted...

Technically, blue hexagon just means it was caught or born in Kalos. I have plenty of pokes without it, but I transferred them from the bank myself and they are legit....

This. Also, if you're looking for Pokemon in the GTS, you're likely either looking for dex fillers or parents. Unless it's a legend, you probably weren't going to use it in combat and therefore whether it's a hack shouldn't matter to you.
---
Pokemon X 1676-4937-5079 IGN: Reaga SV: 1734