This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this a good idea for a Wii U Pokemon game?

#1SlungoPosted 7/3/2014 8:23:01 PM(edited)
I'm not the biggest Pokemon fan, so I have no idea if an idea like this has already been shared. Either way, I'd like to see a game like this.

It's a Pokemon MMO. However, it's not one of those active 24/7 MMOs with a bunch of players running about at once. It's single player, but with a large community you interact with through constant immersive connectivity throughout the campaign, similar to Dark Souls and its blood stains feature. Of course, you'll still have the Pokemon experience whether online or offline, but definitely online connectivity is the selling point.

You start off choosing your customized character. There are 3 different classes: Trainer, Breeder, and Researcher. Each one has different goals in the game. The Trainer aims to get all badges and complete the Pokedex, the Breeder aims to hatch and raise the best Pokemon as well as nurse them a la Pokemon-Amie, and the Researcher aims to study pokemon and conduct the best medications, TMs, and stat boosts so it can perform at max power. With different goals it makes the experience unique and fun.

The game has all 6 regions from past Pokemon games available and connected to each other in one big universe (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos). After selecting your class, you get to choose what region you want to live in. It's designed so that people who have a preference to their favorite generation gets to choose and represent their region (e.g: If Gen 1 is your favorite, you would choose to live in Kanto). In this game, pokemon are exclusive to the region they originally came from, so gen 1 pokemon are only found in Kanto and so on. It should be noted that not all 151 pokemon of that gen can be found in your game/server (it's random), so you're still going to have to trade with others online. After some experience in your own region, you're free to travel to other regions anytime if you have the money for a boat/plane ticket.

The game is fully 3D, and has even more free roaming than X&Y. You have the option of having the camera top-down or in third person. When you play through the game, the online interactivity is subtle. For instance, the trainer NPCs, when you're connected online, are based off of real online players who live in the same region. So a trainer NPC's appearance, name, and pokemon party is the exact same as another player who is currently online. However, since it is still an NPC, it will be a nerfed AI version of the player it is based on depending on how far you are in the game. It is little things like this that make the game feel like an MMO when it's really single player. In offline mode, the NPC will be a generic trainer like in past games.

But if you want to interact with players in a full MMO fashion, there are plazas, fields, safaris, and other dedicated areas for this. Here you can interact with dozens of players online in one large setting and offer battle, trade, and sell requests to your heart's content. Official online calender events will happen too. In the case of friends, you can invite them to visit your region/server if they're online in your friend's list to do the same things mentioned above, with the addition of being able to catch wild pokemon exclusive to your server. This online play is very similar to how it is in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

With a huge online community of 6 regions and 3 classes, I can imagine there being a large economy of trade and battle. I can also imagine having group tournaments where the 6 regions compete each other to show their region pride.

There's a lot more I want to discuss, like how the classes will work, but I guess I can just reserve that for an ask me anything. If you guys have more ideas you want to add to this, go right ahead. I'd love to hear 'em.

So yeah, is this a good idea? If not, that's okay. I'm mostly curious if something like this has been thought up before.
#2mrballerswagginPosted 7/3/2014 8:20:50 PM
Yes
---
FC: 1478-4162-6801 IGN: Ariel
Poetry: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8dmKzLhHYY
#3porygon_z_129Posted 7/3/2014 8:23:15 PM
tl;dr
---
FC:3539-9813-2428 IGN:James TSV:0444 | List:http://tinyurl.com/z-129shinylist
Serperior and Porygon-Z is better than any of your opinions.
#4DigiWillpowerPosted 7/3/2014 8:24:37 PM
Slungo posted...
You start off choosing your customized character. There are 3 different classes: Trainer, Breeder, and Researcher. Each one has different goals in the game. The Trainer aims to get all badges and complete the Pokedex, the Breeder aims to hatch and raise the best Pokemon as well as nurse them a la Pokemon-Amie, and the Researcher aims to study pokemon and conduct the best medications and stat boosts so the pokemon can perform at max power. With different goals it makes the experience unique and fun.

Depends. Can you switch classes mid-playthrough in the same profile or no? Otherwise we'd just be better off playing the full game with slightly less customization options.
---
I might look like a total troll, but trust me, I only troll when I feel like it.
#5Slungo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 8:37:06 PM(edited)
DigiWillpower posted...
Slungo posted...
You start off choosing your customized character. There are 3 different classes: Trainer, Breeder, and Researcher. Each one has different goals in the game. The Trainer aims to get all badges and complete the Pokedex, the Breeder aims to hatch and raise the best Pokemon as well as nurse them a la Pokemon-Amie, and the Researcher aims to study pokemon and conduct the best medications and stat boosts so the pokemon can perform at max power. With different goals it makes the experience unique and fun.

Depends. Can you switch classes mid-playthrough in the same profile or no? Otherwise we'd just be better off playing the full game with slightly less customization options.

Each of the 3 classes have a completely unique experience. The story, gameplay, and leveling system is different depending on the class. In this game there's more than one profile at the start menu, allowing you to try all 3 at once. You can save, restart, and play another profile whenever you'd like.
#6SuperLuigi9624Posted 7/4/2014 9:22:44 AM
HOW ABOUT

Pokémon Battle Revolution.

Instead of Wii and DS,
let's get Wii U and 3DS.
#7SpammySpammingtPosted 7/4/2014 9:27:39 AM
SuperLuigi9624 posted...
HOW ABOUT

Pokémon Battle Revolution.

Instead of Wii and DS,
let's get Wii U and 3DS.

10/10 would by.
---
OU has the most sp00ky pokemons evar.
#8sting__artPosted 7/4/2014 9:35:21 AM
Pokemon Snap 2
Pokemon Stadium 3

Bam, instant money.
#9BabyTiggglzPosted 7/5/2014 7:56:34 AM
The sad reality is that Pokemon's 'main' games have always been hand held based. Some say it is the reason Nintendo is still in business. Any major title will most likely be on their hand held and a game like that couldn't exist w Nintendo's hardware. I've thought of an MMO PokeGame many a time but never expect them to go that route or even consider it. TC, you have good ideas and never stop thinking outside the box, especially the critically small one Nintendo has. I have a love hate relationship w Nintendo and will always respect them for their contribution to the VGworld but sadly I don't expect much from them anymore. BTW don't care about paragraphing rt now
#10LegoTechnicPosted 7/5/2014 8:04:30 AM
Pokemon is a very light-hearted and basic game. You do not want to give it any meat to speak of, because then you might actually start to look at it, and what you see may give you pause. Keep it simple, encourage pick-up-and-play, support mindless monotony in action, and keep the focus on move planning and type coverage. Don't do anything to draw attention to the fact that you're abducting wild animals for the virtual equivalent of a dog-fight and then breeding them with more exclusionary abuse than the most disgusting of puppy mills.

When you play a game on a console you commit to it. When you play a game on a handheld you do it in between activity. And if you truly commit to Pokemon, don't think too hard about it.

This is not really a serious post
---
Bane even prayed for Dick when he became Batman. -- Frostbite_Zero