This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you think of cloning, genning and powersaves?

#251Inferno05Posted 7/14/2014 6:18:50 PM
Wyndetal posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
Except that cheating isn't a subjective issue. It is wrong, and obtaining something through an external method is cheating

Personally I don't think it matters since everyone has done it, I bet even you probably have cheated. I mean for example, you probably read strategy guides to get an edge on a boss that you can't beat, that's technically cheating, no?

Yeah, I've used walkthroughs as an example of why RNG Abuse isn't cheating, or at least no more so than walkthroughs. Since RNG (to the user) is little more than a walkthrough to the desired Pokemon than no-one who frequents GameFAQs has a reason to count it as cheating because this site is dedicated to walkthroughs.
---
Pokemon X 1676-4937-5079 IGN: Reaga SV: 1734
#252WyndetalPosted 7/14/2014 6:22:11 PM
Inferno05 posted...
Wyndetal posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
Except that cheating isn't a subjective issue. It is wrong, and obtaining something through an external method is cheating

Personally I don't think it matters since everyone has done it, I bet even you probably have cheated. I mean for example, you probably read strategy guides to get an edge on a boss that you can't beat, that's technically cheating, no?

Yeah, I've used walkthroughs as an example of why RNG Abuse isn't cheating, or at least no more so than walkthroughs. Since RNG (to the user) is little more than a walkthrough to the desired Pokemon than no-one who frequents GameFAQs has a reason to count it as cheating because this site is dedicated to walkthroughs.

I'll have to take your word for it; not that I don't agree with your statement, it's just that out of all my experiences playing Pokemon I don't even know what RNG is! XD
---
3DS FC: 3539-9733-7070 IGN: Wyndetal Official Good Trader/Cloners/Non-Scammers Guild Breeder/Cloner Shiny List: http://tinyurl.com/mj5ov8v
#253FireMage7777Posted 7/14/2014 6:25:33 PM
Inferno05 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

No, taking that something to a competition that expressly forbids it is cheating. But what you do with single player is up to you. It's subjective. And breeding is a single-player experience from the moment you put the Pokemon into the day-care and until you pick up the egg.

Just because that competition allows offspring of hacks is irrelevant to the fact that said offspring is cheating
---
I'm so awesome Gavirulax uses alts and forged PMs to try and troll me
Licensed troll slayer
#254rojsePosted 7/14/2014 6:26:45 PM
FireMage7777 posted...
Inferno05 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

No, taking that something to a competition that expressly forbids it is cheating. But what you do with single player is up to you. It's subjective. And breeding is a single-player experience from the moment you put the Pokemon into the day-care and until you pick up the egg.

Just because that competition allows offspring of hacks is irrelevant to the fact that said offspring is cheating

No, no, cheating is where you break the rules you are required to play by. Breeding hacked pokemon is not breaking the rules.
---
The Adventure of Miss Jocelyn, Ace Trainer Model Fashionista Extraordinaire:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/69366760
#255Inferno05Posted 7/14/2014 6:27:49 PM
Wyndetal posted...
Inferno05 posted...
Wyndetal posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

I'll have to take your word for it; not that I don't agree with your statement, it's just that out of all my experiences playing Pokemon I don't even know what RNG is! XD

RNG Abuse is the process of manipulating the game's seed and frames (which determine what will happen). It's unfeasible to do in battle due to rapid frame advancement, but has great applications in obtaining Pokemon. It does technically use a program (usually RNG reporter) but this program does not touch your game, and in fact does not even see that you're using your game at the same time. It's pretty much a glorified spread-sheet of frames and seeds, and the times to get those seeds (not going into detail on that). In other words, by knowing how to advance the frame, you can use that information to achieve that frame and pick up/capture the desired Pokemon.
---
#256Inferno05Posted 7/14/2014 6:30:44 PM
rojse posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
Inferno05 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

No, no, cheating is where you break the rules you are required to play by. Breeding hacked pokemon is not breaking the rules.

Yeah, that's what I've been telling him everytime he pops up. But he has his own definition of cheating and his own moral standpoint (thereby proving the subjectivity of the matter).

The only reason I'm even still talking to him is that he's entertaining (like Ed from Ed, Edd, and Eddy) and that for once, there is actually an objective piece of information for one side of the hacking argument (those rules set by the company that logically mean he's wrong)
---
#257German_koffingPosted 7/14/2014 6:31:30 PM
Wyndetal posted...
Inferno05 posted...
Wyndetal posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

RNG is the random number generator HOWEVER the way it works for pokemon it isn't a true RNG
Evert time you start the game a 'seed' is chosen and there are 'frames' that dictate what pokemon you can find what attack is used shiny or not what Hp/ivs/nature/lvl etc
There are various ways to advance this frame

Once you know how the seed is generated you can use that to 'Rng' a pokemon by chosing what seed you start. Then advancing the frame to get a pokemon that you want COMPETELY LEGIT no checks etc ( as least as much as a walk though)

That's basically it :)

I do good?
---
I AM THE BEST POISON TYPE ALL OTHERS SUCK! (but my evo is cool 2)
best quote 2014 http://puu.sh/7kzSc.png
#258Inferno05Posted 7/14/2014 6:33:05 PM
German_koffing posted...
Wyndetal posted...
Inferno05 posted...
Wyndetal posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

RNG is the random number generator HOWEVER the way it works for pokemon it isn't a true RNG
Evert time you start the game a 'seed' is chosen and there are 'frames' that dictate what pokemon you can find what attack is used shiny or not what Hp/ivs/nature/lvl etc
There are various ways to advance this frame

Once you know how the seed is generated you can use that to 'Rng' a pokemon by chosing what seed you start. Then advancing the frame to get a pokemon that you want COMPETELY LEGIT no checks etc ( as least as much as a walk though)

That's basically it :)

I do good?

You explained it better than I did, good job sir.
---
#259FireMage7777Posted 7/14/2014 6:34:25 PM
rojse posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
Inferno05 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

Those hacks were breaking the rules, therefore all results from said hack is just as much cheating as the hack
---
I'm so awesome Gavirulax uses alts and forged PMs to try and troll me
Licensed troll slayer
#260Inferno05Posted 7/14/2014 6:37:23 PM
FireMage7777 posted...
rojse posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
Inferno05 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

Those hacks were breaking the rules, therefore all results from said hack is just as much cheating as the hack

Nope, you see that's where you're wrong. The hacks aren't prohibited from existing, just from taking place in the VGC competition. In other words, they can't be in the team being used. If you use their children, then you're not using the hacks, and therefore not breaking the rules.

It even doubles as following the recommendation under the rules: Using Pokemon you caught or bred yourself. So the Pokemon was not modified or created by external methods and it's even yours by its birth.
---