This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I Test My Breeding Luck?

#1ImThatGoodPosted 7/13/2014 11:28:57 AM
So I've spent the past 2 days trying to get a HA Venipede with IVs and the such. Today, I got my first ever shiny. To show how unlucky I've been, my first pokemon game was Yellow, and I still remember seeing the commercials for it. I've had a game from every generation and I just got my first shiny. I swear I've had over 1,000 hours just on GBA ports. So, its great that I got my shiny. It doesn't have the right stats or nature. So I kept on going until I got the right nature. I did...oh, and I also got another shiny venipede. Right nature, no HA, and only 4 IVs. Should I keep going? At this point, Im using my 6IV JPN Ditto and a 6IV HA Jolly Venipede. Is getting a battle ready shiny really gonna be possible?

TLDR; Got 2 shinys today, neither are battle ready. Should I keep going now that my setup is optimal?
---
3DS FC: 4313-1460-4115
#2MrPototoPosted 7/13/2014 11:39:38 AM(edited)
Are either of the breeding pair holding a Destiny Knot? If not, this might explain your tragic luck with IVs. Stick a Destiny Knot on one and a Power Item on the other, unless you want to retain the Jolly nature in which case use an Everstone on the Venipede. But I guess you wouldn't need to breed if you wanted a Jolly nature.

Still, congratulations on the two shinies. You've been very unfortunate to not have any hitherto. Here's hoping for many more to come!
---
"Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather."
3DS FC: 4184-2151-1414
#3Mr_PopelPosted 7/13/2014 12:02:08 PM
With two 6IV parents and Masuda method-ing it's actually not that unlikely to get something (at least to some extent) useable.

I already hatched shiny 5IV female galewings Fletchling (sadly its Att. is lacking approx. 10 points at lv.100), a shiny 5IV Koffing (sadly it's male, and it's Sp.Att is lacking), a shiny 5IV magicguard Abra (actually a good IV set with Def. being the bad stat ... sadly it's male, and i don't like males on my team ... and i'm afraid of getting scammed), a shiny 5IV Teddiursa (lacking HP IVs, and also male ... also that lime green is horrible) ... and just recently a shiny 5IV Fennekin (it actually has perfect IV spread ... but it's male once again :-/ ) ...

All of the above were side products of breeding for my precious 6IV females ... so if you're a little lucky you should be able to hatch some decent 5IV set (esp. as the shiny chance has been upped considerably this gen)... hatching shiny 6IVs is something entirely different though ...

Also iirc using d.knot and a poweritem doesn't pass down all 6IVs.
---
Hey i'm not camping ... i'm "tactically waiting" :-D
3DS friend Code: 5413 - 0087 - 2782
#4RikkuEcRudPosted 7/13/2014 12:12:56 PM
Also iirc using d.knot and a poweritem doesn't pass down all 6IVs.

That is correct, Destiny Knot and a Power Item passes 5 IVs with one of them guaranteed to be the stat of the Power Item.
---
Tuac yhoputo amca kad dra vaamehk dryd Rikku yht Paine yna macpeyhc fedr aylrudran? E tuipd E's dra uhmo uha...
3DS FC: 4227-2004-2467
#5MrPototoPosted 7/13/2014 2:51:21 PM
Oh right, I didn't know that about the Destiny Knot and Power Item. Thanks! :)
---
"Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather."
3DS FC: 4184-2151-1414