This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So like why do people not use Toxic Spikes?

#11Tsukasa1891Posted 7/19/2014 2:07:43 AM
Some also find it has no use on their team do to wanting to use other status like burn on strong physical attackers or thunder wave on fast things/choice scarf pokemon. A paralyzed pokemon with a choice scarf is almost useless.
---
I was going to post a long and well thought out message ending the argument in this topic, but it would of either been ignored or just go over your head.
#12Adam_Ace(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 2:10:37 AM
djayk85 posted...
If a Poison-type Pokémon that is not also a Flying-type or has the Ability Levitate is switched in, it will absorb Toxic Spikes and the effect of Toxic Spikes will end.

Source - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Toxic_Spikes_(move)

Oh I'm not saying I don't believe you I'm just saying why is that the case? Still this stuff is very helpful. Thanks guys.
#13ClassyOldHatPosted 7/19/2014 4:15:26 AM
As I've said in topics about how broken Stealth Rock is, ti's rather laughable how many ways there are around Toxic Spikes compared to Stealth Rock. In fact, I'll just quote that earlier post. (Note: the post was made during Gen 5, before the Defog buff, but it still largely applies to the current meta.)

Spikes:
Three turns of Set Up for full effect.
Flying type, Levitate, and Magic Guard Pokemon are immune.
No Pokemon benefits from contact with it.
Available to a decent variety of Pokemon of varying types.

Toxic Spikes:
Two Turns of Set Up for full effect.
Flying type, Steel type, Poison type, Levitate, Magic Gaurd, and Immunity Pokemon are immune, as are those under the effects of a different Status Condition.
Poison Heal Pokemon are effectively immune to it and benefit from it. Guts, Marvel Scale, Quick Feet, and Toxic Boost Pokemon gain both advantages and disadvantages from it.
Available almost exclusively to Poison types.

Stealth Rock:
One turn of set up for full effect.
Magic Guard Pokemon are immune. Three (relatively rare)* Pokemon types take reduced damage from it, four (relatively common) types take increased damage from it.
No Pokemon benefits from contact with it.
A TM available to just about every Pokemon and their mother.

Now, of these three moves, which do you feel would most deserve to be nerfed by being removed from play simply because your opponent had a Pokemon of a certain type on their team, in addition to being removed by Rapid Spin? Apparently, GF felt it was the second.

*(There are more legendary Pokemon than there are Pokemon of either Steel or Fighting type. Let that sink in for a minute.)

Now that Defog is buffed, Spinblockers are no longer guaranteed to work, and there's even less incentive to use Spikes or Toxic Spikes. Why spend all that time carefully deciding which turn you can and can't afford to lay down spikes on to get the full effect if they can be blown away in a single turn, while also making Fire Blast more accurate? It's much easier to mindlessly vomit up Stealth Rock onto the field in a single turn for huge dividends if the opponent decided to use a certain type.
---
Pokemon X Grass Safari (Oddish, Sawsbuck, Gogoat) FC: 4124-5539-4848 IGN: Zach