This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When you [were little and] played your first pokemon game...

#11NuzlinkPosted 8/1/2014 9:58:42 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#12wheeling_gamerPosted 8/1/2014 11:03:56 AM
I got Gold when I was five, and originally just beat up things with Chikorita/Bayleaf. Unfortunately, I got lost on Route 46. However, my parents got me a guide, and I read it while making my way to Cherrygrove. I also used it to learn about the basic mechanics, and once I realized I could beat my Rival's starter in one hit with Razor Leaf, I knew I had done something wrong. Needless to say, I restarted.

My second playthrough, I was a bit smarter. I read the guide through and through, making sure to not miss any events or get lost. I also made sure to do everything in order, so I could enjoy the game like it was supposed to be played. I only used one Pokémon (Typlosion), but I understood the concept of HMs and caught several Pokémon to use them. Since I decided I was going to play through the entire game, it was one of the two times I beat Red (later playthoughs stopped at 16 badges or lv. 50). My main fighter was a level 86 Typlosion whose final moveset included Thunderpunch and Flame Wheel. However, since beating Red did not autosave the game in Gen II, it was never recorded that I actually beat him.
---
You know you read too much when you dream about flying books.
#13ghost4812Posted 8/2/2014 9:06:10 PM
wheeling_gamer posted...
I got Gold when I was five, and originally just beat up things with Chikorita/Bayleaf. Unfortunately, I got lost on Route 46. However, my parents got me a guide, and I read it while making my way to Cherrygrove. I also used it to learn about the basic mechanics, and once I realized I could beat my Rival's starter in one hit with Razor Leaf, I knew I had done something wrong. Needless to say, I restarted.

My second playthrough, I was a bit smarter. I read the guide through and through, making sure to not miss any events or get lost. I also made sure to do everything in order, so I could enjoy the game like it was supposed to be played. I only used one Pokémon (Typlosion), but I understood the concept of HMs and caught several Pokémon to use them. Since I decided I was going to play through the entire game, it was one of the two times I beat Red (later playthoughs stopped at 16 badges or lv. 50). My main fighter was a level 86 Typlosion whose final moveset included Thunderpunch and Flame Wheel. However, since beating Red did not autosave the game in Gen II, it was never recorded that I actually beat him.

Interesting. I didn't know that the game doesn't save after beating Red. That would bother me so much!
#14RuwalkPosted 8/2/2014 9:21:41 PM
Agreed, not saving after Red would probably give me hives x_x

My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Yellow, so I had Pikachu following me around everywhere like the pokes do in HG/SS. I remember I got it on Christmas because I had brought it with me to my grandmother's Christmas party. I have two cousins that are twins, and they were both really into Pokemon and had Red/Blue respectively. I remember sitting there for hours in between them while they were teaching me what to do. I remember fighting the second gym on the car ride home.

Pikachu was a little twerp, I remember. I was constantly turning around to interact with it so it didn't like me for a looooong time. I think I got to Fuschia City and got stuck. Though before I stopped playing I would just constantly go to the Jigglypuff in one of the Pokemon centers and put Pikachu to sleep.
---
3DS FC: 3136-7024-5897 | Name: Twi
Pokemon Y IGN: Bunny
#15wantfastcarsPosted 8/2/2014 9:23:34 PM
I used my master ball on a chinchou assuming I'd be able to get more somewhere

also I'm reminded of this: http://i.imgur.com/JJUa9.png
---
Now Playing: Pokemon Y Version, Bayonetta, One Piece: Unlimited World Red
i5-3570k | 8GB 1600MHz RAM | GeForce GTX670 FTW | Asus P8Z77-V LK | 1TB HDD
#16Missingno_MastrPosted 8/2/2014 9:26:14 PM
It was my 10th birthday. I received Yellow and Red and my very first Game Boy that morning, and Blue Version later that day. I had only recently gotten into Pokémon, so naturally I was thrilled to finally have the games. I started Yellow first, and I wanted to name Pikachu after Ritchie's Pikachu in the anime. Of course, it had been several weeks since I had seen that episode, and I didn't remember it perfectly, so Pikachu's nickname ended up Shockey instead of Sparky. I didn't realize my mistake until much later on, but in the meantime, I continued on, I caught a Pidgey I named Sandy, because it knew Sand Attack. I thought I was so clever. And then there was Hardhead the Metapod. And then I got stuck in Viridian Forest. The exit did not look like an exit to me, it looked like a long, winding, dead-end path. I found out it was the exit by sheer accident. By that time, I decided I sucked at nicknaming Pokémon, though, so I restarted Yellow, and didn't nickname a single Pokémon for over a decade (save for one- an Aerodactyl Skeleton Missingno. in Blue, named Skelefly).

However, in this next playthrough, I realized I still had a lot to learn. For one thing, I avoided other Trainers like the plague. Went around them, avoiding battles whenever I could. Somehow I made it to the S.S. Anne. There I got TM44. I tried it out, since back then I knew practically nothing about most moves. I didn't know what the hell Rest did, but since I was able to teach it to any of my Pokémon, I taught it to Pidgeotto and decided to try it out. Once I realized it allowed Pidgeotto to heal itself completely, my young self was beyond thrilled. I believed my Pidgeotto to be invincible since it could just heal off any damage it took, and opponents generally never dealt enough damage to it in the turns it spent sleeping. I ended up trying to solo the game with it, and I very well might have... were it not for Viridian Gym. By then, I had a level 60 Pidgeot, a level 30 Snorlax, a level 28 Tauros (how I managed to catch a Tauros back then, noob that I was, is a complete mystery to me), a level 14 Pikachu, a level 10 Bulbasaur, and a level 10 Squirtle. Pidgeot did pretty well at first, holding its own well enough against Rhyhorn, Persian, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking... and then came Rhydon. That Arceusdamn Rock Slide. I tried time and time again, but Pidgeot just never managed to defeat that menace. I wound up restarting the game, Rhydon proved to just be impossible for me to deal with.

Oh, and by the way, on that subject, at one point, just before the first time I tried battling Giovanni in his Gym, I healed up at the Pokémon Center, and then I checked my team, and Snorlax was asleep! Like, right after Nurse Joy handed me my Pokémon! I woke it up with the Poké Flute, but this still threw me. I mean, anything else, anything else at all, I'd have chalked it up to a random glitch. But Snorlax? The Sleeping Pokémon? I've never heard anything about Yellow that says that your Snorlax can randomly fall asleep outside of battle. I mean, I could see it being intentional, but I have never heard anything about it. Anyone else experience anything like that?
---
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9247960/1/404-Error
My Shiny Pokemon (not for trade): http://i.imgur.com/1utdapU.png
#17AsterixKingPosted 8/2/2014 9:37:57 PM
All fell before the magnificent power of Clefable! (Bubblebeam/Thunderbolt/Body Slam... and Metronome for amusement.)
---
Favorite RPG's: FF XII, Xenoblade Chronicles, Bravely Default, Tales of the Abyss
"Whatever I say is clothes becomes clothes!" - Sage Yulyana
#18mrballerswagginPosted 8/2/2014 9:47:03 PM
Kind of off-topic but I can't fall asleep. :/
Anyways, here's my story somewhere in here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/69016002
I wrote it a long time ago (yes, it feels like forever) so I don't even remember what I wrote.
---
Honestly, I see more people crying about people not crying enough than people actually crying because Aegislash is banned.
-FuneralCake
#19RayeMakerPosted 8/4/2014 2:30:09 PM
i never had a gba when the games got hyped up round where i'm from so i had to play on emulator. i remember i really wanted all the pokemon that evolved when traded like machamp, golem, alakazam and gengar. although, i remember that little girl who traded her machoke which evolved after in the vanilla game but it was nicknamed ricky or rocky or something and you couldnt change it so yea...