This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

OMG I love NPC comments and references in this game

#1HolyCookiePosted 8/2/2014 8:48:25 AM(edited)
So far, I've seen "over 9000", "stayin' alive", "barrel roll", the power ranger reference where a pokémon ranger says he is the red ranger and you could be the blue ranger...

Then there are things like "my emolga wants to shock your dedenne" XD.
I'm sure I've seen others, but I can't remember any (I've just met the Flare thug that says "stayin' alive, stayin' alive next to the laser flower of doom).

How many have you guys seen?
Also, were there this many in Black and White? (I only tried out Black briefly) I'm sure there weren't this many in older games (I remember "why so serious" in HG/SS though).
#2Lonta_Beans3Posted 8/2/2014 8:49:33 AM
You're not supposed to like them
#3MadameLuigi64Posted 8/2/2014 8:49:50 AM
"Can I haz battle, meow?
(I sound like such a fool, don't I?)"
---
Oh, really? You were just joking? Well, where I come from, jokes are funny.
#4CaptainZangoosePosted 8/2/2014 8:53:53 AM
MadameLuigi64 posted...
"Can I haz battle, meow?
(I sound like such a fool, don't I?)"

Do they actually spell "has" as "haz" fer that line? (I don't remember ever seeing it meself)
#5Nightstar1994Posted 8/2/2014 8:57:15 AM(edited)
Any idea if these exist in Japanese version? Over 9000 isn't any meme to them (not like it was ever funny to begin with).

I feel like the dialogue is the translators fault.
---
Pokemon Y: Schneizel
FC: 4124 - 5013 - 1344
#6XxMahnaMahnaxXPosted 8/2/2014 8:59:58 AM
they do
---
Why don't we show them the entire process including our breakdown.
http://i.imgur.com/Q0xhR.png?2?6330
#7EvilSaurusPosted 8/2/2014 9:02:02 AM
Nightstar1994 posted...
Any idea if these exist in Japanese version? Over 9000 isn't any meme to them (not like it was ever funny to begin with).

The Japanese versions have lots of references about the Japanese pop culture. There is this karate girl who says something about a Jet Stream Attack (not sure if it was in XY or BW2), a reference about Gundam.
#8HolyCookie(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 9:02:20 AM
Nightstar1994 posted...

I was also wondering about this, kind of. Does anyone know if these references are in the other languages?
For example, I don't think the Flare thug is going to say "stayin' alive" in French :/, hopefully they replaced them with appropriate references that make sense for each language, and didn't just not put any at all :(.
#9HolyCookie(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 9:13:05 AM
Okay, I've just run into a typo I think, a Team Flare admin just said "you've got another think coming" lol, I'm guessing this was an accident, and not a reference XD.
#10OctazPosted 8/2/2014 9:17:24 AM
this is actually really good bait, nicely done :^)
---
http://i.imgur.com/0hvN8AZ.gif
IGN: Dee FC: 1349-5268-6092. Electric Safari: Electrode, Pikachu, Galvantula