This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon game selection

#1VeneficusDracoPosted 8/3/2014 2:44:20 PM
Long story short...I'm old.

I haven't played Pokemon since Red when it came out, liked it a lot.

Fast forward x years, my kids dig the Pokemon reruns on Netflix, so I want to surprise them with a DS and a Pokemon game.

I can see much has changed since 1998 (sigh), but I would like to play with/against them on a separate DS because I kinda miss Pokemon too.

So..I just wanted to ask which of the games is the "best" for an old player and a new one.

I know new ones are coming out in November, wait for them or pick X/Y or some other version?

Help from current players is GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

I think there was like 150 Pokemon back then, now there's 700+, that's nuts!
#2FuneralCakePosted 8/3/2014 2:46:08 PM
Wait, are you planning on getting DS games or 3DS games?

If you're getting 3DS games, it's probably worth waiting for ORAS in November. XY aren't terrible, but there's a lot missing that ORAS will end up adding. Plus, ORAS will just have more content in general.

If you're getting DS games, get Black 2 or White 2. One for you, one for your kid(s).
---
UNlCORN BLOOD UNlCORN BLOOD UNICORN BLOOD UNlCORN BLOOD
#3VeneficusDraco(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 2:47:01 PM
It'd be 2DS, but I understand that can play any of them.
#4FuneralCakePosted 8/3/2014 2:48:40 PM
Well, not any of them, but anything from Diamond and Pearl and up. Older games won't work on a 2DS.
---
UNlCORN BLOOD UNlCORN BLOOD UNICORN BLOOD UNlCORN BLOOD
#5rojsePosted 8/3/2014 2:57:25 PM(edited)
If you want to do this on a budget, you can just buy something like Black 2 and White 2 and two used DS consoles (seeing as though you want to versus battle your kids).

If you want to play the newest and shiniest games on a current-gen console, I'd wait for ORAS - as a general rule, the second set of games in any gen is better than the first set of games, so most likely, ORAS will be better than X/Y. Alternatively, you can try to look for X/Y secondhand for cheap, but good luck with that.

Last note - pokemon games tend not to drop in price much even as future games release, so waiting for ORAS to release to get cheap copies of X/Y probably won't work.
---
MissJocelyn: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/69712152
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000300-pokemon-emerald-social/69775480
#6EmiArtsPosted 8/3/2014 3:07:08 PM
FuneralCake posted...
Well, not any of them, but anything from Diamond and Pearl and up. Older games won't work on a 2DS.

Hi Cake!
---
FC- 3067-4379-4862- IGN is Emily :) Proud OSG Member! :D
~Soul~Spirit~Superior~