This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Never played Pokemon before, which one should I start with?

#1sm0kiEPosted 8/4/2014 12:56:31 PM
I never played a real Pokemon game in my life. I've played Pokemon snap and Smash Bros. Can anyone recommend a good one to start out with?
#2shin609Posted 8/4/2014 1:06:18 PM
If I were you I would start with Soul silver/ Heart Gold for the DS. Thn move on to black/white then black/white 2. Skip X unless you want to play online with others....

BTW...your Karma....,Sugoi...
---
PSN: shin609
Currently playing: Fire Emblem:Awekening(3ds),Xblaze:Code Embroy (Vita), Demon's Gaze (Vita), Grisaia no Kaijutsu(Great PC Visual Novel)
#3Alpha218Posted 8/4/2014 1:07:07 PM
HeartGold/SoulSilver are very expensive and rare from what I've seen so
---
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite user on the Citadel.
3DS FC: 5429-8904-8022 (Andrew) Friend Safari: Flying - Pidgey, Tranquill, Hawlcuha
#4GhetsisPosted 8/4/2014 1:25:03 PM
Red/Blue/Yellow on Game Boy.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene? TSV: 1885
#5RavingSwoobatPosted 8/4/2014 1:26:38 PM
Just start with XY. It's very accessible and as easy as any other gen to get started.
#6zelionxPosted 8/4/2014 1:27:51 PM
Wait for Omega ruby and alpha sapphire next fall and start there
---
3DS: 5412-9925-4803 Everything else: ZelionX
http://i.imgur.com/goiB66H.jpg
#7FinalInsanityPosted 8/4/2014 1:28:26 PM
zelionx posted...
Wait for Omega ruby and alpha sapphire next fall and start there

I was gonna post something but this is the actual correct opinion
#8DetroitLolcatPosted 8/4/2014 1:31:36 PM
X if you want to play now, ORAS if you want to wait until November.
---
Pre-Hooktail Pit of 100 Trials Run Completed Sunday April 22nd 2012 @ 3:43 AM
Only BP, No Badge, No Leveled Partners Pit Run Completed Monday June 3 at 2:56 AM
#9SlakmeoffPosted 8/4/2014 1:35:18 PM
I would wait for the new games coming out soon, Omega Ruby & Alpha Saphire. Their remakes of Gen 3, my first Pokèmon game. Their is going to be a lot of new mega evolutions and it should be really good.

I got X & Y just a few months ago and it's really not worth it. The story mode was boring and I find the online on it really annoying. (The Battle Spot only let's you use 3 Pokes at a time and everyone on there just uses a full team of legendaries against you.)

I recently got into pokemon showdown, if you don't know it's an online battle simulator. You can pick out any pokemon you want so basically you have the ability to make whatever teams you want and battle people, it's pretty fun. Just google it if you haven't heard of it
#10RAcastBlasterPosted 8/4/2014 1:37:30 PM(edited)
XY are accessible and available...but pretty subpar in the grand scheme of things.

I'd heavily suggest Heart Gold, Soul Silver, or Platinum as your first game, but keep in mind that there's a bit of hassle in transferring from gen 4 to 5.

You can do Pokemon Black/White 2, they're pretty good. Make sure it's the sequel though, the original Black/White are just awful. Unova is just awful... but they didn't do any remakes last gen, so it's all you've got for gen 5.

Alternatively, you can just wait for ORAS, which are remakes of the Gen 3 games, two of the best in the series by a large margin. They'll be fantastic.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Y (Name: Ensei), Xenoblade Chronicles, 3DS FC: 2277-7562-5299 FS: Ghost @ Drfiblim, Lampent, Pumpkaboo
Steel types! MegaMeta!