This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anyone else think the multi-rival thing was terrible?

#1geno21Posted 8/15/2014 4:40:15 PM
I actually liked having 2 rivals in gen 5 (even though they were some of the worst rivals), but in gen 6 having so many "rivals" just incited rage whenever any of them was shown on screen.

First we have the other character (calem or serena) who is probably the only one of the bunch that I can take even close to seriously.

Next we have shauna, probably the most annoying character I've ever seen. I'm sorry but if this was real pokemon, no one would let her tag along in the group. Arguably the worst trainer in the history of pokemon (until a few spots lower in the list).

Next up is tierno, the resident joke of the generation. I assume they made him with comic relief in mind, but what they actually got was comic grief. Whats worse is that he's in the top 2 most likable characters in this list.

And now we're scraping the bottom of the barrel that is pokemon character. Trevor is without a doubt, the worst character that has ever been made in a pokemon game. He's portrayed as a "rival" but never even battles. Instead we get his horrifying pokedex battles. Despite ONLY using his pokedex and spending every waking minute he could be battling, pokedexing, he STILL LOSES EVERY POKEDEX BATTLE. I thought gen 3 rival was awful since they didn't even get their starter to its highest evolution, but this guy didn't even get his starter past level 5. I can't remember the story about him exactly but I think he was an orphan or abadoned by his parents or something, and frankly I think he had it coming.
---
Unintentionally following in the footsteps of The_Great_Geno
#2GhostlyCrowPosted 8/15/2014 4:40:55 PM
I just wanted them to stop bothering me on seemingly every route.
---
Whichever mod delete my posts [...] is pretty smug for a volunteer. He probably tells girls that he's a gamefaqs moderator ~ Drunk_Quid
#3ThornAernoughtPosted 8/15/2014 4:42:21 PM
You only have one real rival. The rest is just a group of friends.
---
"It's a f***ing chaos snake, Glove!"
#4Tytanium18Posted 8/15/2014 4:45:07 PM
GhostlyCrow posted...
I just wanted them to stop bothering me on seemingly every route.

This. I didn't realize how ridiculously frequent the interruptions were until I did a speedrun of X in under 6 hours. You get stopped by them ALL THE TIME.
#5LexifoxPosted 8/15/2014 4:48:09 PM
Honestly, it's not the number that bugged me so much as the fact that they have little to no meaning.

Trevor does nothing except battle you twice or so and his Pokedex quest goes nowhere.
"Oh hay NAME let's compare Pokedexes! Oh wow you caught 3 Pokemon? I lost!"
You could write him out of the game entirely and it would have almost literally no impact save for the fact that he gives you a Pokedex. The fact that he also craps all over Tierno just makes him worse.

Tierno is at least funny, but again, he pops up and "HAY I'M GONNA DANCE BATTLE!", then uses a Pokemon that knows Swords Dance and Bubble and that's it.

Shauna at least has a somewhat strong team (for X/Y anyway) by the endgame and contributes to the story by luring Flare members away and using her deus ex machina to open the door.

BW1 had multiple rival characters with Cheren, Bianca, and N, and managed to give them all interesting characters and stories. This isn't a case of too many characters as much as it is a case of awful writing.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#6shin609Posted 8/15/2014 4:48:12 PM
ThornAernought posted...
You only have one real rival. The rest is just a group of friends.

---
PSN: shin609
Currently playing: Fire Emblem:Awekening(3ds),Xblaze:Code Embroy (Vita), Demon's Gaze (Vita), Grisaia no Kaijutsu(Great PC Visual Novel)
#7RaroiaPosted 8/15/2014 4:52:56 PM
I feel like the game would benefit a lot by giving the player the option to assume a Gary Oakian persona, allowing you to smell them later and walk away from their terrible sequences.
---
Official Waluigi of Smash 4 Wii U Boards
#8Tytanium18Posted 8/15/2014 5:04:43 PM
Raroia posted...
I feel like the game would benefit a lot by giving the player the option to assume a Gary Oakian persona, allowing you to smell them later and walk away from their terrible sequences.

Having Gary Oak in place of the player character would be hilarious!
#9Not_NuzlinkPosted 8/15/2014 6:04:16 PM
Raroia posted...

So this time, we'd name ourselves A**hat?
---
WHO IS THIS MYSTERIOUS MASKED HIPSTER?!
#10FinalXemnasPosted 8/15/2014 6:07:29 PM
Not_Nuzlink posted...
Raroia posted...

So this time, we'd name ourselves A**hat?

http://static.tumblr.com/sruweug/c9Fm7ae53/douche.png
---
"No more eternal than that radiance of yours."
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/DBZ_Freak21.png