This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody wanna help me workshop my Maison Super Doubles team?

#1XxMahnaMahnaxXPosted 8/16/2014 12:42:19 PM(edited)
It seems like a pretty decent team. I've made it to the mid twenties twice and lost because of poor decisions on my part, so it's kind of hard to tell where exactly the team could be improved and how good it really is.

Mienshao @ Wide Lens
(Regenerator)
-----------------
Fake Out
High Jump Kick
Rock Slide
U-Turn

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
(Sand Veil)
----------------
Swords Dance
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Rock Slide

Gengar @ Gengarite
(Levitate)
--------------
Shadow Ball
Dazzling Gleam
Giga Drain
Destiny Bond

Gyarados @ Life Orb
(Intimidate)
--------------
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Earthquake

Pretty straightforward. I lead with Mienshao and Garchomp. Mien either Fakes Out or outright kills one of the opposing pokemon (usually which ever one I feel could be the biggest threat to Gar). Garchomp Swords Dances so he can sweep. Gengar and Gyarados are back up support. They're both immune to Earthquake and Gyara's Intimidate support can be helpful.

I'm not all too certain on the items. I would probably give Gyarados its mega item if I had it (and I'll probably go get it tonight); the first run through I did Gyara had Expert Belt but I just went ahead and gave him the Life Orb because idk which is better really. Gengarite is kind of just filler. I haven't really used Mega Gengar that much as it eliminates the Earthquake immunity, but occasionally the slight power boost has been helpful (and if I'd used it correctly it could have saved my last streak from ending early. Lum Berry on Chomp has saved him from being crippled a couple times so I'm fine with that. Wide Lens on Mien helps with HJK and Rock Slide accuracy but is kind of just filler like Gengarite.

I've had some problems with Fairy, Poison, and Ice (obviously) but generally the team works together pretty well (so long as I make the right calls). I contemplated putting Poison Jab on Mienshao but i don't know what I would replace. Maybe U-Turn. The one thing that bothers me about U-Turn/Mienshao is how she gets outsped by Garchomp. I need to get a reset bag to give her some more speed evs. When I first started using this team I can't tell you how many times I wasn't paying attention and let her die to Earthquake as she was trying to U-Turn out.(it was like two)

So thoughts? It's a pretty simple team; i just feel like maybe it could be a little better, but I think that mostly the faults in it are me not playing it to the best of its ability.
---
Why don't we show them the entire process including our breakdown.
http://i.imgur.com/Q0xhR.png?2?6330
#2XxMahnaMahnaxX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2014 6:48:07 AM
I guess not =(
---
#3olduser2000Posted 8/17/2014 4:49:05 PM
You'll definitely get better with practice, but you're team does need a little work.

I think you should use Protect on Mienshao instead of U-Turn. It might seem strange to use Protect against an unpredictable AI, but the AI will often double up on weakened targets, where Protect yields free turns. It would also save you from Gale Wings Talonflame while Garchomp drops rocks.

Secondly, it's hard to make Destiny Bond work in Doubles, even against the AI.

I think you're team has too many set-up moves (SD, DD). It's a risky play in doubles. You're better off being fully aggressive from turn one. That's just my opinion though, which comes with a recommendation of Mega Kangaskhan if you want to get to 50 a little more easily.

Finally, besides Mienshao's Fake-Out, you have no priority moves on your team. That's risky business when you'll be going up against a bunch of Scarfmons surprise outspeeding Garchomp.

I'd recommend Kangaskhan as Mega and Fake-Out user and Choice Band Talonflame for priority. It's good to have multiple flying pokemon and/or Protect users so you can spam Earthquake when you need too. If you use Zapdos too, you'll be using my doubles maison team. (I did a low 200's streak a few days ago, I've played too much Maison).
#4ThornAernoughtPosted 8/17/2014 4:50:59 PM
Swords dance is no fun in doubles. Put some bulk on that chomp. Lead with gyarados and intimidate cycle as needed.
---
"It's a f***ing chaos snake, Glove!"
#5XxMahnaMahnaxX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2014 5:13:10 PM
olduser2000 posted...
You'll definitely get better with practice, but you're team does need a little work.

I think you should use Protect on Mienshao instead of U-Turn. It might seem strange to use Protect against an unpredictable AI, but the AI will often double up on weakened targets, where Protect yields free turns. It would also save you from Gale Wings Talonflame while Garchomp drops rocks.

Secondly, it's hard to make Destiny Bond work in Doubles, even against the AI.

I think you're team has too many set-up moves (SD, DD). It's a risky play in doubles. You're better off being fully aggressive from turn one. That's just my opinion though, which comes with a recommendation of Mega Kangaskhan if you want to get to 50 a little more easily.

Finally, besides Mienshao's Fake-Out, you have no priority moves on your team. That's risky business when you'll be going up against a bunch of Scarfmons surprise outspeeding Garchomp.

I'd recommend Kangaskhan as Mega and Fake-Out user and Choice Band Talonflame for priority. It's good to have multiple flying pokemon and/or Protect users so you can spam Earthquake when you need too. If you use Zapdos too, you'll be using my doubles maison team. (I did a low 200's streak a few days ago, I've played too much Maison).

Yeah there are a lot of things I've been wanting to try out (Mega-Kang, Scizor) but I just haven't had all of the materials to make them work. I was just able to throw this team together with what I had. Once I get better at doubles I'll definitely start constructing teams from scratch. Thanks so much for your advice.

I hardly ever do use Dragon Dance and Destiny Bond so they probably would be worth dropping.

And you're right about the AI ganging up; so many times poor Shao gets double teamed and I just let it happen for the free turn, but yeah you never want to make the call to sacrifice a pokemon or not. U-Turn has come in handy a couple times but like I said in the initial post it hasn't been nearly as useful as I'd like it to be.

Really I just want to be able to set up (or not) and just wreck things without having to worry; which is why I've been running Gar because it's decently strong and after a SD it can usually cut through most things with varying degrees of ease; but yeah as I get higher my wins become less cut and dry and I end up having to deviate from relying solely on Chomp for the win.

Right now I'm at 30 something so I'll see how far I can go and workshop the team or actually start over from scratch and devote time to making competitive teams again (haven't really done it since gen 4)
---