This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would this board specifically consider a "good" pokemon anime?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. What would this board specifically consider a "good" pokemon anime?
1 year ago#11
Lexifox posted...
I wouldn't change much beyond stopping making characters as one-dimensional and trying to keep things more authentic to the games. The anime is good as is. It's very popular and does its job of selling the games well.

It's basically unpopular with people here, who are all older than the target audience. It's like watching a kid show and then deciding that it needs to be retooled so adults will like it.

An animation can appeal to a more mature crowd at the same time as kids.

Example: Most Disney movies.
---
Tales of Xillia 2... here I come!
Dissidia 012: Main:Terra Subs:Squall,WoL,Cloud and Kain.
1 year ago#12
Prevent the super happy seizure time episode by reducing/eliminating all that flashing. Other than that, leave the anime as-is because it's good.
---
3DS: 2406-5192-8968 | Lv. 30 Pokemon battles ONLY | Safari: Electric (Pikachu/Dedenne)
1 year ago#13
Gogito4 posted...
I'd adapt Pokémon Adventures, the manga.

There, done. Pokémon Anime saved.

Not really. Adventures isn't that popular in Japan, so you kind of killed it.

Gogito4 posted...
An animation can appeal to a more mature crowd at the same time as kids.

Example: Most Disney movies.

Yes, but most people are overly critical of the anime. Their views aren't so much "This isn't good" so much as "I don't like X", if that makes sense. It's less "This isn't good because..." and most people who criticize it seem to preface things with "I haven't watched it since X, but..." or complain about stuff that hasn't been true or relevant in ages.

also most recent disney stuff is bad
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
1 year ago#14
Here's what I think a proverbial "good" pokemon anime might contain:

Battling
- Type matchups always matter
- Pokemon stats always matter. Damage is reasonably consistent with a damage calculator using same-level pokemon.
- All pokemon have four move slots only. These moves may change between various battles but it will never have more than four moves.
if someone says "Dodge it!", that means nothing
- Top-tier trainers use legitimate strategies

Main Character
- The main character acts as a stand-in for a young audience, so he needs to explain type matchups and stuff like that to a young viewer, but it doesn't mean he shouldn't understand these matchups before they happen.
- Secondary and ancillary characters get multiple appearances so we can spend more time with them and so they can have characterization.
- The main character can have a Pikachu because Japan loves their mascot pokemon, but please give it some coverage moves and maybe a special electric priority move exclusive to the pikachu line (in future games) to make it a less terrible pokemon competitively.
- Main character is allowed to lose. I actually don't have a problem with a mid-tier pokemon trainer being the MC, it should be okay for MC to lose.
- Any female main character in the anime is treated as a legitimate trainer in their own right, even if they are starting out on their pokemon adventure, and is not there merely to be the obligatory moe girl.

General stuff.
- People at top level make legit six-poke teams. These teams are built with certain strategies in mind and can include gimmicky strategies to allow niche pokemon to be used to fit the "pokemon of the week formula"
- People use TMs to teach their pokemon various moves for different match formats (say, to play a doubles match or a singles match). Players do mainly doubles matches so the lack of switching makes sense.
- Have episodes that legitimately expands the world of pokemon and don't involve battling whatsoever. Maybe MC does some volunteer work at a pokemon centre or daycare, for example.
- The anime could include possible cameos of RL players from, say, Worlds or the like. They use their own team from Worlds too.
---
MissJocelyn goes on adventure, stuff happens: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/69712152
Want avatars, visible pictures and more? Send me a PM.
1 year ago#15
I don't know. IMO, Frozen *alone* was good. What came after from both the fans and Disney kind of took away the novelty, and then some...

And then some...

And then some...

And then some...

And then some...

A Candy crush clone!? Really!?
---
RIP in this sig: Origins reference, SPM reference, Jim Sterling quote, and other random stuff.
Join the Pantheons RP on Emerald social!
1 year ago#16
ReaccuringExtra posted...
I don't know. IMO, Frozen *alone* was good. What came after from both the fans and Disney kind of took away the novelty, and then some...

It was one of the best movies I've seen in a while, but it still had a lot of faults. The whole early thing with the trolls or whatever was weird, and then after the giant ice monster thing the trolls showed up to do an asinine song and dance, etc.

Olaf was pleasantly more enjoyable than I expected, though.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
1 year ago#17
I agree with him. That guy. The one that hates the looker missions. He made MissJocylen. Hmmm...
---
RIP in this sig: Origins reference, SPM reference, Jim Sterling quote, and other random stuff.
1 year ago#18
Lexifox posted...
most recent disney stuff is bad

Most Disney stuff is enjoyable for a variety of audiences, not merely young kids who buy the associated merchandise. It might have had a bit of a slump recently (exempting "Frozen") but it does not negate the point that a lot of their catalog is quite good.

If we're going into companies that do good all-ages viewing, we could also Studio Ghibli, for example. Making good all-ages viewing is not impossible.
---
MissJocelyn goes on adventure, stuff happens: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/69712152
1 year ago#19
ReaccuringExtra posted...
I agree with him. That guy. The one that hates the looker missions. He made MissJocylen. Hmmm...

Ah, good, I'm glad to know I typed that text wall and wasn't being a complete simpleton while I did it.
---
1 year ago#20
A tool for what? .... .... .... A handkerchief? A... Screwdriver?

hmmmm...
---
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. What would this board specifically consider a "good" pokemon anime?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived