This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would this board specifically consider a "good" pokemon anime?

#41iKhanicPosted 8/17/2014 11:45:22 PM
Lexifox posted...
I wouldn't change much beyond stopping making characters as one-dimensional and trying to keep things more authentic to the games. The anime is good as is. It's very popular and does its job of selling the games well.

It's basically unpopular with people here, who are all older than the target audience. It's like watching a kid show and then deciding that it needs to be retooled so adults will like it.

If the point isn't education, yes, a show aimed at kids SHOULD be retooled so adults would like it. Hell, some educational shows aimed at kids are more entertaining to adults than Pokemon is (see Arthur)

TV Shows like Teen Titans and Batman TAS are really fun for kids, but they are also really fun for adults. Then you have shows like Ultimate Spider-man that are critically panned, because they are aimed exclusively to kids. They don't try to have intelligent or mature content. They just cater to this market fantasy of a stupid ignorant kid who ONLY wants to see mindless action and slapstick.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#42iKhanicPosted 8/17/2014 11:47:01 PM
supremeblaster posted...
Lexifox posted...
I wouldn't change much beyond stopping making characters as one-dimensional and trying to keep things more authentic to the games. The anime is good as is. It's very popular and does its job of selling the games well.

It's basically unpopular with people here, who are all older than the target audience. It's like watching a kid show and then deciding that it needs to be retooled so adults will like it.

It's bad as a kids show and it's just bad in general. I can still watch regular kids shows and enjoy them. I can't enjoy this even though it's pokemon.

It really says something when you can't enjoy a show based on something you love.

Yeah this explains it perfectly. I can go back and watch Static Shock and even the 4kids dub of Yu-Gi-Oh and have fun with it. I can barely sit through an episode of Pokemon.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#43Shadow_StarWolfPosted 8/18/2014 12:00:55 AM
ITT a bunch of people who never watched XY or only watched dub XY.

The anime is fine, it is saved by based director.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
#44LexifoxPosted 8/18/2014 12:03:40 AM
supremeblaster posted...
It's bad as a kids show and it's just bad in general. I can still watch regular kids shows and enjoy them. I can't enjoy this even though it's pokemon.

It really says something when you can't enjoy a show based on something you love.

Not really. It's pretty common for adaptations to be sufficiently different from source material that people take issue with it. It's why "The book is better than the movie" is so commonly said.

And Regular Show isn't Pokemon. RS is made for a certain audience and really does push the line for what people would consider appropriate for children. Pokemon is made for an audience that's still learning to read, and has to be as non-offensive as possible because they want it to air pretty much around the world without upsetting anyone.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#45LockDeltzPosted 8/18/2014 12:08:51 AM
Raroia posted...
The horrible formulaic episodes are why it (was) so bad. I don't know if they still do it since I haven't watched it in ages, but man that got old fast.

-ash and co. meet some random filler character and their random new pokemon
-ash and co. decide to help them with their random problem
-team rocket shows up and tries to capture pikachu (seriously, why pikachu? who would want it?)
-team rocket gets rekt
-they all lived happily ever after

And speaking of ash, that guy has to get killed off. He's just a terrible in every way.

lol the writers were probably on crack every time they write a new episode, they have to be. The show absolutely makes no sense.
---
"Ha! They locked us up in a house made of candy." Gibari, Baten Kaitos
#46iKhanicPosted 8/18/2014 12:13:33 AM
LockDeltz posted...
Raroia posted...
The horrible formulaic episodes are why it (was) so bad. I don't know if they still do it since I haven't watched it in ages, but man that got old fast.

-ash and co. meet some random filler character and their random new pokemon
-ash and co. decide to help them with their random problem
-team rocket shows up and tries to capture pikachu (seriously, why pikachu? who would want it?)
-team rocket gets rekt
-they all lived happily ever after

And speaking of ash, that guy has to get killed off. He's just a terrible in every way.

lol the writers were probably on crack every time they write a new episode, they have to be. The show absolutely makes no sense.

Just wait for Ash vs. Smogon Ep. 7. Let's hope.
---
#47LockDeltzPosted 8/18/2014 12:14:24 AM
I would just get rid of Ash, he should have been cut off after gen 3. In gen 4 I would replace Ash with a new protagonist and his signature Pokemon would be a male Gardevoir. We all have our ideas, and it would most likely be better than what the writers in Japan can come up with.

KyrieIrving posted...
make it hentai

Yes and there would be sex scenes too.
---
"Ha! They locked us up in a house made of candy." Gibari, Baten Kaitos
#48MilenninPosted 8/18/2014 12:16:46 AM
While I don't view the anime as great, it apparently is good enough to keep going for 10+ years now, so I don't see why they would change it now.

Though in my opinion; what I would like to see from a Pokémon anime:
-New protagonist at the start of every new generation (like Yu-Gi-Oh anime)
-Storyline being much closer to what the games have, but also go much more indepth (drop all the stupid, useless fillers, and work on fleshing out the story and characters instead)
-Characters that have some depth and develop throughout the story.
-No Team Rocket.

They could do all this while still keeping it kid-friendly.
---
3DS FC: 3351 - 4188 - 0149
Pokemon Y IGN: Roth
#49fedartzPosted 8/18/2014 12:22:47 AM
Milennin posted...
While I don't view the anime as great, it apparently is good enough to keep going for 10+ years now, so I don't see why they would change it now.

Though in my opinion; what I would like to see from a Pokémon anime:
-New protagonist at the start of every new generation (like Yu-Gi-Oh anime)
-Storyline being much closer to what the games have, but also go much more indepth (drop all the stupid, useless fillers, and work on fleshing out the story and characters instead)
-Characters that have some depth and develop throughout the story.
-No Team Rocket.

They could do all this while still keeping it kid-friendly.

Why team rocket is bad, they help the story progress and exciting don't they?
---
1478-5012-5198 ign Fedora
http://tinyurl.com/kv4x25c
#50XavuuPosted 8/18/2014 12:24:42 AM
Nothing. This board hates everything, tbh.
---
STAB Quick Attack. Staraptor.