This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does the Mega Evolution stat distribution work?

#1pikmintaroPosted 8/23/2014 2:34:45 PM
I'm just wondering because I've heard that certain Pokemon are actually WORSE when Mega evolved than in their normal form, and I'm wondering how is that possible?

I'm just asking because I thought that Mega Evolution added extra stat points so how could it be worse? or does it just redistribute the stat points that the Pokemon already has and make them incredibly strong in one area while being incredibly weak in another? I'm not a competitive player (Although I like to watch competitive players play.) but I would like to know the specifics about how a Mega evolved Pokemon could be made worse than normal.
---
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
#2RikashiPosted 8/23/2014 2:36:13 PM
Mega Garchomp for example gets a boost in Attack but loses Speed, which makes him unable to outspeed certain threats thus losing usefulness. Some like Alakazam also get a worse ability (IMO) upon evolving.
---
Best old Dutch commercial ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpS2D0HhID4
#3pikmintaro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2014 2:37:09 PM
Rikashi posted...
Mega Garchomp for example gets a boost in Attack but loses Speed, which makes him unable to outspeed certain threats thus losing usefulness. Some like Alakazam also get a worse ability (IMO) upon evolving.

So does mega evolution simply redistribute the stats the Pokemon already has? I had heard they get stats added on so I wasn't sure, I can understand the thing about the abilities though.
---
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
#4Matthew3DSGamerPosted 8/23/2014 2:39:43 PM
Most Pokemon become much better with their Mega, but there are a few Pokemon that don't, like these:

Garchomp: It's Mega loses Speed to buff it's attack, and most people like Speed.

Alakazam: Most people use Magic Guard + Focus Sash, and Megas can't hold items
---
VGC master race
#5Zabie_WPosted 8/23/2014 2:40:24 PM
pikmintaro posted...
Rikashi posted...

So does mega evolution simply redistribute the stats the Pokemon already has? I had heard they get stats added on so I wasn't sure, I can understand the thing about the abilities though.

Mega evolution works like normal evolution, they get higher stats (although in some cases some stats might be lower) and a new ability (see Magikarp Swift Swim -> Gyarados Intimidate)

Garchomp, while gains attack power, becomes slower and that makes him more vulnerable to being killed before he can even attack.. Alakazam, while it gets pretty awesome stats, it loses his ability (Magic Guard is the best) for a one that is worse (Trace)
#6Singerperson80Posted 8/23/2014 2:40:56 PM
I have a HILAROUS story about alakazam. Want to know? Too bad!

Gengar + alazam

Vs

Zebstrika

I mega evolve the alazam,and it traces motor drive. Stupid zebstrika uses wild charge lol
---
Dash Friend Code 1779-0959-7191 Combee,Masquerain,Heracross. ---
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vp/image/1371/26/1371267752299.jpg
#7pikmintaro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2014 2:41:23 PM
Ok so stats are added on, but some are taken away depending on the Pokemon? thanks for the answers I was just curious.
---
#8InhaledCornPosted 8/23/2014 2:49:10 PM
In general, mega evolution adds 100 stat points total. But, sometimes, some stats are redistributed as well. Like others have said, Garchomp loses 10 points of speed for extra sp.atk. That speed loss hurt its effectiveness in singles as it can't outspeed certain threats and can't tank many hits since it has no means of recovery but Rest-talk. I hear it's more effective in doubles since Tyranitar can activate its Sand Force and Mega Garchomp takes a lot less damage.

Mega Alakazam loss of Magic Guard is just too great since it doesn't really have the bulk to set up, and Trace is situational at best.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
Welcome to Gamefaqs - where leaks are considered fact until proven otherwise. :/
#9pikmintaro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2014 3:02:31 PM
InhaledCorn posted...
In general, mega evolution adds 100 stat points total. But, sometimes, some stats are redistributed as well. Like others have said, Garchomp loses 10 points of speed for extra sp.atk. That speed loss hurt its effectiveness in singles as it can't outspeed certain threats and can't tank many hits since it has no means of recovery but Rest-talk. I hear it's more effective in doubles since Tyranitar can activate its Sand Force and Mega Garchomp takes a lot less damage.

Mega Alakazam loss of Magic Guard is just too great since it doesn't really have the bulk to set up, and Trace is situational at best.

Ok thanks for clearing it up for me.
---
#10archiebold12Posted 8/23/2014 3:20:12 PM
Singerperson80 posted...
I have a HILAROUS story about alakazam. Want to know? Too bad!

Gengar + alazam

Vs

Zebstrika

I mega evolve the alazam,and it traces motor drive. Stupid zebstrika uses wild charge lol

Similer story

Mega evolved on a raichu, traced lightning rod, he used thunder and the rest is history lol but it doesn't justify evolving ally, that focus sash loss is harsh
---
FC: 4957 3504 4351
Ign: tyrant 009