This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon Amie - A Primer

#21Caidryn(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 2:44:37 PMmessage detail(edited)
Segmented Odin posted...
Axel7174 posted...
I guess it's still too early after the game's release to be sure, but I'm really wondering if this minigame affects friendship at all. I'm trying to evolve my Budew into Roselia as soon as possible and it's at level 17 right now.

From what I've seen here and on the X Board, there is no general consensus. Some people think it does help, others say it doesn't. I wish we know so I could decide whether to invest my time in this or not.

I never bothered with Poke Amie and my Riolu evolved decently early (19 or so). I don't think it matters in friendship evolutions.

@TC - Does Enjoyment count as affection as well, ie should you try to keep it maxed as well as Hearts? Or is it just something that can easily be converted into hearts (petting). Also, does affection decrease over time or does it stay where it was?

I think enjoyment really is just for converting into hearts, but I max it after the hearts are maxed anyway, just for personal satisfaction. enjoyment only seems to decrease when you pet your pokemon, as far as I can tell. At the very least, it isn't time or walk sensitive.

Basically, my recommendation for maxing quickly is to play two games with your pokemon, then feed it and pet it four times, in whatever order you like, then repeat, switching over to take care of the others that appeared in your games as well. likely easiest to max affection in groups of 3, as you automatically control which 3 are used in the minigames.

As for whether or not affection boosts happiness, which is a different stat mind you, I haven't the slightest clue. If it does, it isn't directly. Return dealt the same general damage before and after I maxed my Pokemon's Affection, because it is powered by happiness.

I have a hypothesis, but I can't prove it, of course. I think you get a point of happiness each time you make a heart appear in battle, like when you auto dodge, auto crit, shake off an ailment, or heal a low hp pokemon. this should be in addition to the normal gains for the healing, etc.

At max affection you can also rub the bottom screen just after KO'ing a pokemon on the other team, which pets your pokemon in battle. It only works right after the faint message, and if you miss the chance it's gone. Doing so also gives a heart, which again I assume is an extra point of happiness.

I have no real way to test any of this, of course, but it seems plausible to me.
---
3DS FC: 4339-3331-2595
#22Caidryn(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 2:46:43 PMmessage detail
FFFanatic1234 posted...
Tap later than you think you should. The hit box is actually quite a bit smaller than the yarn itself.

Also, looking at this, I'm guessing it's pointless to ever pet your 'mons. Just raise the heart through other means that don't involve lowering the notes, that about right?

On the contrary, I recommend converting them as often as possible until affection is maxed, preferably converting them in pairs, as you gain two from each minigame.
---
#23FFFanatic1234Posted 10/16/2013 3:46:51 PMmessage detail
So having notes gives you extra hearts when petting? Huh.
---
Official Sabin of the Final Fantasy XV board.
3DS Friend Code: 2019-9677-1839
#24Caidryn(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 5:03:06 PMmessage detail
FFFanatic1234 posted...
So having notes gives you extra hearts when petting? Huh.

Each note is worth three hearts. If you have no notes left, you get no hearts at all. That's when you just get a thought bubble with a music note in it after petting. That's the game's way of letting you know you ran out of enjoyment.
---
#25FFFanatic1234Posted 10/16/2013 5:54:38 PMmessage detail
Does performing those auto-crits and auto-dodges consume hearts?

Or is it that once I've gotten a mon to say, 4 hearts, it will be at four hearts and reap the benefits of such forever?
---
Official Sabin of the Final Fantasy XV board.
3DS Friend Code: 2019-9677-1839
#26Caidryn(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 6:36:01 PMmessage detail
FFFanatic1234 posted...
Does performing those auto-crits and auto-dodges consume hearts?

Or is it that once I've gotten a mon to say, 4 hearts, it will be at four hearts and reap the benefits of such forever?

As far as I know, it's forever. Rather than consuming hearts, I believe you actually gain happiness. Nothing is lost, that much I know for certain.
---
#27naterkixPosted 10/16/2013 7:06:43 PMmessage detail
Does skating affect anything? I notice it looks like the Pokémon is tumbling around the screen rather than walking when I do, so I was wondering if that makes them unhappy or anything?
---
http://wheelednerd.wordpress.com/
PSN and XBL: Naterkix | 3DS FC: 4639-8973-3593
#28Caidryn(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 7:10:46 PMmessage detail
naterkix posted...
Does skating affect anything? I notice it looks like the Pokémon is tumbling around the screen rather than walking when I do, so I was wondering if that makes them unhappy or anything?

I've wondered the exact same thing honestly. I haven't noticed a drop, but I don't usually have Pokemon Amie up while riding or skating. For now, I believe it doesn't, but I'll give it a thorough test real quick.
---
#29Caidryn(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 7:22:24 PMmessage detail
After biking the strip in front of the daycare 50 or so times, I noticed no change in my pokemon's affection. I'd wager the downside is that you can't see the little thought bubbles that tell you they're hungry, which isn't a worry if they already have maxed affection anyway.
---
#30MistleQuillPosted 10/16/2013 8:30:15 PMmessage detail
Has anyone tested whether the effects also apply to link battles?
---
Friend Code : 1805 2438 9730 (Ally from Kadsapaw) ^ ^