This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

All dog pokemon

#113DSRecPosted 12/10/2013 8:02:20 AM
GRankbowhunter posted...
sorry to say you are wrong there alot foodog is the actual name for them and here is some info on it

Foo Dog
From Encyclopedia online
Foo Dog, Fu Dog or Lion Dog refers to:
In figurines or statues:
Chinese guardian ( Shishi)
Komainu, Japanese statues
In dog breeds, which resemble the figurines:
Chow Chow, referred in China as Songshi Quan or "puffy-lion dog"
Japanese Chin
Pekingese
Pug
Shar Pei
Shih Tzu, referred in China as Shi,zi Gou, or "lion dog"
Tibetan Spaniel

So at worse the legendary dogs are lion dogs

Entei is based on Chinese guardian lions, or Lions of Foo, creatures that resemble fully grown male lions. They are often confused with canines and incorrectly called "Foo Dogs" by Westerners.

You didn't even READ the effing post
---
3DS: 0602-6260-1153. Pokemon Safari: Boldore, Shuckle, and Onix
Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AggressionSsbb
#12BourbonStPosted 12/10/2013 8:18:50 AM
Legendary Dogs is a mistranslation. They're beasts. Shi, Raiju, Qilin, all of which are mythical creatures from Asian culture. They lean more towards feline inspiration, though. The Shi is otherwise known as a Guardian Lion (they are different than Shisa/FooDogs). Raiju come in many forms, including tigers, which Raikou clearly is.
But 3DSRec did a fine job of already explaining this.

Also, bark was edited to roar in later games. Again, a mistranslation, and technically "barking" is just a loud noise that any creature can do. Play HG/SS? Any of your Pokemon will bark at you if you talk to it.

Luxray is a lion. I'll give you Mightyena, since he seems to be a mix of both wolf and hyena.

You also need Smeargle, Furfrou, and Slurpuff.
#13Celticsman13Posted 12/10/2013 8:49:02 AM
i want the legendary CATS
---
friend code 3625-9179-8880
#14EddMarioPosted 12/10/2013 9:15:50 AM
Alright, so we know why they're called the Legendary Dogs, but why do some people call them the Legendary Gerbils/Hamsters?

I'm referring to http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/918916-pokemon-leafgreen-version/faqs/45052 specifically BTW
---
"Responsibilities are an SMG dropped by the BNK3R." - VicVega26
#15gamemaster712Posted 12/10/2013 9:29:54 AM
Furfrou
---
Lord of gaming!!! (probably) 3DS FC: 3411-1747-3961 IGN: Sean
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.
#16BourbonStPosted 12/10/2013 1:51:21 PM
EddMario posted...
Alright, so we know why they're called the Legendary Dogs, but why do some people call them the Legendary Gerbils/Hamsters?

I'm referring to http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/918916-pokemon-leafgreen-version/faqs/45052 specifically BTW

It's an old joke. People got sick of the cat/dog feud and so call them gerbils/hamsters/etc.
#17legendriderPosted 12/10/2013 2:00:03 PM
They're technically the legendary beasts and their forms are not that of dogs

Entei resembles a Male Lion
Raimon is a Sabertooth Tiger
And Suicune is said to be a Cheetah

So they're more cats really. But they're known as Legendary Beasts.
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196
#18GRankbowhunter(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 2:16:39 PM
doesn't matter what you "THINK" they look like they are referred to as dogs and foodog is not an improper translation which is why I posted that.

Only thing worse then a know it all is a know it all who gets their facts from pokemon websites bulbasaur.com or what ever lol.
#19legendriderPosted 12/10/2013 2:27:52 PM
GRankbowhunter posted...
doesn't matter what you "THINK" they look like they are referred to as dogs and foodog is not an improper translation which is why I posted that.

Only thing worse then a know it all is a know it all who gets their facts from pokemon websites bulbasaur.com or what ever lol.

A-are you referring to me?

I hardly think myself to be a know it all
Are they not known as the 3 sacred beasts?
I was sure it was that.
I don't really use Pokemon websites, so I'm not too sure what you mean...

Raimon doesn't seem dog like to me, in all honesty.
And I thought that....dog of that lore of was Stoutland. Though i suppose Entei could certainly fit the bill.
Suicune is just what I've heard others say, and in me thinking Sabertooth and Lion, Cheetah seemed plausible.
No need for any confrontation
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196
#20BourbonStPosted 12/10/2013 2:36:12 PM
GRankbowhunter posted...

You created a topic asking for doglike Pokemon, so you have to deal with the backlash when you post Pokemon that aren't dogs and deny all reasoning.

Only thing worse than a know-it-all is a know-it-all who invalidates actual fact and research because it conflicts with their personal opinion, lol.