How was this game ever good

#1iiAxelForceiiPosted 2/7/2013 6:48:43 AM
Im not exactly sure when temple run was ever good and why so many people play it. They say #2 is better but all I see is temple run 1 with better graphics and a new map layout it's not really a new game and they didn't add anything new its still the same old game your run for as long as possible but for what you dot get rewarder for it so I don't understand how its such a great game theres no real achievements for it, all the power ups are still the same, and characters don't have any special abilities. People act if it deserves a reward but there's so many better games out there this is just my opinion and I'd have to give this game 1 star
#2Bigmac909Posted 2/7/2013 11:09:27 AM
Hate to break it to you, but there aren't any "real achievements" in any video games. They're games, after all.
---
Eh, it's like 2 or 3 people who post a lot, making it look like more people hate the game than is actually true. -LordRattergun
#3iiAxelForceii(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:53:46 PM
Bigmac909 posted...
Hate to break it to you, but there aren't any "real achievements" in any video games. They're games, after all.

So what the game could still use some achievements to make it have something to actually work for
#4Jackie_ChandlerPosted 2/7/2013 5:30:37 PM
iiAxelForceii posted...
So what the game could still use some achievements to make it have something to actually work for

It does. They're called Objectives. In the first Temple Run, they're all available from the beginning, and every Objective you accomplish adds one more number to your Score Multiplier for every following game. If you don't consider that worth working for, I don't know what you think is.

In Temple Run 2, Objectives still exist, but they work differently than they do in the first one. They still increase your Score Multiplier for each one earned, but you can only work towards three at a time, the order of which is decided by the game. In addition, a Level system has been tied to Objectives, each Level of which adds another point to your Score Multiplier, and allows you to purchase certain Power-ups in the Shop. Again, very useful and worthwhile things to work towards.

My problem with it is that the focus on accomplishing those Objectives is too much of the game. In an arcade style survival game, the focus should be on surviving the longest- about testing your skill and reflexes as a player, perhaps against others by using the Leaderboards or scores of your friends. But when you say that my run of thirty minutes is equivalent to my friend's run of one minute just because he accomplished thirty arbitrary challenges when I hadn't accomplished any, that's dumb. And when you say that my friend, who's played the game long enough to earn a preposterous amount of total Lifetime Meters/Coins, is more deserving of the incredible advantage from the resulting Gem Bonus Power-up than me, that's still dumb. If he has hours (days?) more time invested in the game than me, he's probably going to be a more experienced player than I am anyway- the last thing I want to do is waste my time to accomplish the same goals he did just so I can hope to compete with his scores.

Anyway, to answer your initial questions, the game is widely considered "good" because it's easy to pick up and play right away, people like to see their scores increase drastically the more they play the game, and because people see the replayability as high, so they can earn more Objectives/collect more Coins to buff their Power-ups/compete with friends/etc. Honestly, though, this series (particularly the second one) is riddled with poor design choices, especially with its mentality of rewarding investment of time over display of skill.
---
XBL: Jackie Chandler | PSN: Jackie_Chandler
Pokemon White: 3525-2142-9932
#5iiAxelForceii(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 5:42:03 PM
Jackie_Chandler posted...
iiAxelForceii posted...

It does. They're called Objectives. In the first Temple Run, they're all available from the beginning, and every Objective you accomplish adds one more number to your Score Multiplier for every following game. If you don't consider that worth working for, I don't know what you think is.

In Temple Run 2, Objectives still exist, but they work differently than they do in the first one. They still increase your Score Multiplier for each one earned, but you can only work towards three at a time, the order of which is decided by the game. In addition, a Level system has been tied to Objectives, each Level of which adds another point to your Score Multiplier, and allows you to purchase certain Power-ups in the Shop. Again, very useful and worthwhile things to work towards.

My problem with it is that the focus on accomplishing those Objectives is too much of the game. In an arcade style survival game, the focus should be on surviving the longest- about testing your skill and reflexes as a player, perhaps against others by using the Leaderboards or scores of your friends. But when you say that my run of thirty minutes is equivalent to my friend's run of one minute just because he accomplished thirty arbitrary challenges when I hadn't accomplished any, that's dumb. And when you say that my friend, who's played the game long enough to earn a preposterous amount of total Lifetime Meters/Coins, is more deserving of the incredible advantage from the resulting Gem Bonus Power-up than me, that's still dumb. If he has hours (days?) more time invested in the game than me, he's probably going to be a more experienced player than I am anyway- the last thing I want to do is waste my time to accomplish the same goals he did just so I can hope to compete with his scores.

Anyway, to answer your initial questions, the game is widely considered "good" because it's easy to pick up and play right away, people like to see their scores increase drastically the more they play the game, and because people see the replayability as high, so they can earn more Objectives/collect more Coins to buff their Power-ups/compete with friends/etc. Honestly, though, this series (particularly the second one) is riddled with poor design choices, especially with its mentality of rewarding investment of time over display of skill.

The objective thing is alot like jet pack joyride I think they could've made better adjustments to the game cause I don't see really any major diffrence looks like #1 just with an update. There are still very many games better than temple run 2 I'd rather see temple run 1 get more credit than #2 though I really don't like either
#6steve_juneauPosted 2/9/2013 2:21:09 AM
iiAxelForceii posted...
Jackie_Chandler posted...
iiAxelForceii posted...

The objective thing is alot like jet pack joyride I think they could've made better adjustments to the game cause I don't see really any major diffrence looks like #1 just with an update. There are still very many games better than temple run 2 I'd rather see temple run 1 get more credit than #2 though I really don't like either

If you don't like either then I'm struggling to find the reason why you're here....

I don't like COD but I don't go on the COD boards moaning how I don't like it. I don't like Indian food but I don't go to Indian restaurants to tell them I don't like it.

Maybe you need to find a better use for your time.
#7mignoncurieuxPosted 3/1/2013 12:42:26 PM
Wow you people need to learn to quote better in topics.

I've been playing this for a little while, and I think I like the first one a lot more. I came here to see what others are saying about it, maybe that's why the TC came here
---
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/sickoftheotherme/MeChristy.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/sickoftheotherme/mignoncurieux-1.jpg