PSA: Coins are NOT added to your tally the second you grab them.

#61bladexdslPosted 6/5/2014 6:34:27 AM
really you need a prima guide to play this?
#62Steven-Chase(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2014 6:42:07 AM
bladexdsl posted...
really you need a prima guide to play this?

Oh. My. God.

Steven-Chase posted...
I have a feeling the official player's guide for this game is going to clear this all up.

www.crashwiki.com/mario-kart-8-spoilers-found-leaked-guide-photos-shows-simplified-gameplay/

These photos go into great detail about the game's mechanics, far more than I ever expected... so I can't help but think that something would be outlined about how coins work. Amazon says the guide is available now, so I'm going to run by GameStop after work and see if they have it in stock.

I'm trying to clean up a misconception on how coins work, and I have a feeling the Prima Guide already did.
---
http://www.steven-chase.com
http://www.megamanmonthly.com
#63bladexdslPosted 6/5/2014 6:43:22 AM
you don't need the guide the info is all in this thread. max 10 coins per race. there i saved you $$$
#64The_Shadow_LinkPosted 6/5/2014 6:47:00 AM
bladexdsl posted...
you don't need the guide the info is all in this thread. max 10 coins per race. there i saved you $$$

Max 10 Coins per racer, some people are trying to argue you can get more than 10 coins per race per racer though, which is what's trying to be disproved.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#65bladexdslPosted 6/5/2014 7:06:08 AM(edited)
you can get 10 coins per racer per race. we have done it me and 2 other guys we were unlocking an item every grand prix (4 tracks) each of us were getting 10 coins each so we got a total of 120 coins per cup. it's real we've done it.

i have also done tests in TT i got every single coin on the track and wrote it down. i did 4 tracks from the mushroom cup the total would have been over 100 but i did not get anything unlocked. 10 is the MAX you don't need the guide.

if you don't believe me wait till you get something unlocked than go into tt and do the same test i explained above for proof.
#66Steven-Chase(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2014 7:52:09 AM
@bladexdsl
Right. That's what this thread is trying to convince people of. 10 coins, per player, per race. No more are possible. I know this, you know this, and others know this, but several people are CONVINCED that you can get more. But some people do not take our personal experiments and grinding and testing into consideration and only rely on a vague recollection they had or the misconception that they're unlocking parts more quickly because they don't realize the notifications stack. I want to pick up the guide to further support what you and I already believe and as another piece of evidence against the naysayers. I appreciate you trying to save me a penny, but it's OK; I'll take one for the team and buy a strategy guide.
---
http://www.steven-chase.com
http://www.megamanmonthly.com
#67EchixirPosted 6/5/2014 4:47:55 PM
I just want to back up Pinxed's claims:

I also did a wipe of my save data to test how coins work. I went straight for Grand Prix mode and went out of my way to collect ~80 coins total while also coming in first each race.

No Kart part.
---
I can haz 5:11 tiem nao plz?
#68ShadowUmbreon42Posted 6/5/2014 5:08:58 PM
Pretty sure i immediately unlock some stuff after my first GP. Maybe you start with 10 coins?
---
If i'm nice to you on Gamefaqs, you either don't annoy me, aren't a jerk, or you're actually pretty cool. I like using my own sets.
2277-7277-6375 IGN: Patrick
#69PinxedPosted 6/5/2014 5:21:14 PM(edited)
Echixir posted...
I just want to back up Pinxed's claims:

I also did a wipe of my save data to test how coins work. I went straight for Grand Prix mode and went out of my way to collect ~80 coins total while also coming in first each race.

No Kart part.

Just for others (sorry to not mention this before...) you don't need to wipe your data. Just make a new account on your Wii U, then delete it after.

ShadowUmbreon42 posted...
Pretty sure i immediately unlock some stuff after my first GP. Maybe you start with 10 coins?

This has been discussed before. Were you in multiplayer mode? Did you do a time trial first? Did you start a cup, quit during the third race or so because you got second/dinnertime or something, then later try the cup again?

You do not start with ten coins, I tested that earlier in the topic. It's not even a hard test to do - make a new file, do 7 Time Trials (collecting 10, 10, 10, 10, 5, 3, 1, 1 coins) to prove that the game does not start you with a single coin. Now that you are exactly at 50 coins, do a Grand Prix collecting >10 coins per track and you will not get your part. REMEMBER: do NOT quit this GP at any point! Doing so will screw with your results, because despite quitting mid-GP, the coins collected from the previous completed tracks are already accounted for in the game.

TC, I'd suggest closing this topic and creating a new one with all of the info contained within the OP.
---
Chrom Chrobs the competition!
When you look closely, magic happens. | http://i.imgur.com/hC4LSuc.jpg
#70EchixirPosted 6/5/2014 9:08:54 PM
Pinxed posted...
Just for others (sorry to not mention this before...) you don't need to wipe your data. Just make a new account on your Wii U, then delete it after.

Oh, I backed up the data. No way I was gonna lose 50+ hours of work just to test this.
---
I can haz 5:11 tiem nao plz?