PSA: Coins are NOT added to your tally the second you grab them.

#71Steven-Chase(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2014 5:59:36 AM
Pinxed posted...
TC, I'd suggest closing this topic and creating a new one with all of the info contained within the OP.

Will do! I'll work on that in a little while.
---
http://www.steven-chase.com
http://www.megamanmonthly.com
#72FFMaster1212Posted 6/8/2014 8:51:10 AM(edited)
From what a few other gamefaqs members and I put together on another board

You get a max of 10 coins Per Person on your wii u system racing per race
Say you make an excellent run and collect all the coins you can never getting hit you still only get 10 coins for that player even if you are playing multiplayer, if playing multiplayer do it co-op wise and share the coins while everybody protects the one person in first place.

Don't attack players attack CPU's

Unlock the 1 star gold part first, then go after the time trials gold tires, then work on getting the 10000 coin gold part

the method to grind coins is vs mode COINS ONLY

Above is the FASTEST WAY TO UNLOCK EVERYTHING.

ONLINE MODE CAN ONLY HAVE 2 Players on your WII U so only a MAX of 20 Coins Per Race YOU DO NOT GET COINS OF THE OTHER RACERS Besides those PLAYING ON YOUR WII U.
---
accf 1721-5215-5431 name:Aaron town:homely;
3ds friend code:1590-4706-8328
#73Jacob46719Posted 6/8/2014 8:51:37 AM
Steven-Chase posted...
But I will say this to everyone who is pointing to something like this as definitive proof that coins are earned instantly...

Go try and grind for them then.

Because it doesn't work.

grind for them AND finish the freakin race.
---
I am a Lucid Dreamer.
#74TheDarkNerdPosted 6/8/2014 9:52:06 AM
Question for Pinxed:

When you did these Grand Prix, how many stars did you finish the race with? I'm wondering if maybe 3-starring a cup gives you a bonus 10 coins, or some other possibility.
---
http://i.imgur.com/WKp3kfx.gif
#75CyberSturmPosted 6/8/2014 9:59:50 AM
What are the chances we'll get Gold Mario as a DLC character and just racing as him gives us a boat load of coins and he'd be the only character to bend the 10 max coins only rule per track XD?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#76koggxPosted 6/12/2014 12:37:23 AM(edited)
a thought here but maybe the Coin item adds coins to the wallet & total of 10 while course collected coins just go to your total of 10 and to the wallet at the end of the race

it would explain how people could have possibly unlocked parts on there first GP if they got enough of the coin item while the testers didn't get any unlocks as maybe they didn't go for items and thus didn't encounter coin items

anyway just posting something that came to mind
---
www.freewebs.com/kingofgamesgx
#77bladexdslPosted 6/12/2014 1:46:31 AM
koggx posted...
a thought here but maybe the Coin item adds coins to the wallet & total of 10 while course collected coins just go to your total of 10 and to the wallet at the end of the race

it would explain how people could have possibly unlocked parts on there first GP if they got enough of the coin item while the testers didn't get any unlocks as maybe they didn't go for items and thus didn't encounter coin items

anyway just posting something that came to mind

they don't i've tried it
#78Cy-coPosted 6/12/2014 3:28:27 AM
Just tried the "Toad's Harbor" coin farming method on a new profile. It DOES NOT work. I can confirm that it is only possible for a single player to get 10coins/race.

Seems to me the best way to get coins is local multiplayer.

You can youtube/google "Mario Kart 8 coin grind" to see the "tutorial" I used. Seems legit, but it doesn't work.

I don't really mind because I'm usually always playing with friends in local multiplayer....but it really bugs me that I cannot see how many coins we've earned and that there's no way to exploit it if you only ever play single player.

I just want that damn glider!! (I'm a 100% complete OCD guy)
#79bladexdslPosted 6/12/2014 3:38:15 AM(edited)
Cy-co posted...

Seems to me the best way to get coins is local multiplayer.

that's what we've been trying to tell everyone. and as for the glider it's nothing special just a clone of the original one.
#80ShadowUmbreon42Posted 6/12/2014 4:13:27 AM(edited)
Steven-Chase posted...
Thank you, Pinxed!! I'm glad to see some that others are willing to experiment with the coin system instead of just vaguely recalling an experience and declaring a conclusion based on that. =)

So... It basically works the same way as Mario Kart 7, it seems.

As my own update... My local GameStop didn't have the MK8 Prima guide in stock, but I'll keep looking. The photos of the guide that I found online are extremely in-depth with the gameplay mechanics, so if there's some elaborate coin system, I'm confident it will address it. Otherwise, I think it's safe to assume that the coins work the same as they did in MK7.

And really... If everyone would just stop and crunch some numbers for a second, they'd realize how ridiculous it would be if you banked coins instantly.

Even if you don't consciously try to pick up "extra" coins on a race, most coins are in line with the path you take during the course, so grabbing them accidentally while drifting and what-not is pretty typical. And if you're leading most races, you're going to get inundated with the coin item. I can easily grab about 50 coins a race, yet I'm not unlocking multiple parts per GP. If I was banking them instantly, I would have the Gold Glider already. Instead, I'm only at the 1,800 coin unlock.

Except i didn't touch a single game mode before it. I hopped into a 50cc GP.

Your "facts" aren't completely correct clearly -_- stop assuming so much about our experiences.

Edit: Well there still is that possible unknown variable we still don't know about yet so IDK
---
G.Faqs is full of rocks. Nintendo ID: blackbeartic
2277-7277-6375 IGN: Patrick