I tried defending this item distribution, but it really is terrible.

#1AROCK86Posted 6/10/2014 6:52:14 PM
First off, let me say I wrote the item management sticky for MKW message board on this site, so I have studied the items in MK games quite a bit.

I've tried to give this games items a chance. After the improvements they continued to make in each game, I simply could not accept them making the items so random. I figured there must be some kind of rhyme or reason to it. Some way to predict it, but it truly is random.

I have heard theories the items are based on how far behind you from the leader, or how far behind you are from the nearest racer, or even what lap you are on, but after watching carefully the last few days I've played, these are all not true.

Tonight, after getting pummeled by items, I was in dead last on Moo Moo Meadow. The leader was nearly half a lap ahead of me, and the nearest racer in front of me was not close at all. I was halfway through lap 2 and I got two single green shells. The next race, halfway through the final lap, I was again in 12th place and got a blooper.

I'll deal with it, but this really does cut down a lot of strategy from the game. Item management was one of my favorite things from MKW. I think it did take skill working with the item system to get in position to win. You were not always able to predict what you would get, and sometimes you would get burned, but if you were in last place, you could expect at least a little help. Single green shells and bloopers? There is no explanation for this.
---
Mini Mii
The only time the word incorrectly isn't spelled incorrectly is when it's spelled incorrectly.
#2aerosmith5Posted 6/10/2014 7:08:15 PM
Stop leaving when I try to join you lol

Also, the item distribution reminds me more of MK64 than anything else . . . you make very valid points but I kind of like the way it is haha.
---
http://backloggery.com/aerosmith5
http://www.youtube.com/user/aerosmithgamer
#3Foolish_Banana2Posted 6/10/2014 7:15:46 PM
I have full trust in Mini's opinion, especially considering he's responsible for that very informative and helpful sticky topic on the MKW board.

That being said, he's right. This game's item distribution is something I'm not entirely fond of. While MKW was a complete cluster f*** with how the items worked, at least you could usually count on getting something helpful in lower positions (thundercloud and blooper be damned). In MK8, there's no such luxury. The fact that 12th place can get a single green shell while 4th can get a lightning bolt or bullet bill just wreaks of ass.

I too want to give this item distribution a chance, but I just can't because of the facts that Mini previously stated.
---
Wii U NNID: Banana_Mew
3DS friend code: 3153-5426-5994
#4Chagen46Posted 6/10/2014 7:20:30 PM
>Getting this salty over one item distribution screwup

Get good.

Also I'm glad this game doesn't allow for comebacks all the time, no more "scrub gets first becsause Item Jesus blessed them with lightning and bullet bill"

TL;DR git gud
---
Baby Rosalina and Baby Daisy fanboy for life. Respect our adorable princesses!
#5Foolish_Banana2Posted 6/10/2014 7:23:36 PM
Chagen46 posted...
>Getting this salty over one item distribution screwup

Get good.

Also I'm glad this game doesn't allow for comebacks all the time, no more "scrub gets first becsause Item Jesus blessed them with lightning and bullet bill"

TL;DR git gud

Someone hasn't raced against Mini. If you did, then you would know he's one of the best Mario Kart players I personally have ever raced against. You can ask Aero as well. He knows just as well as I do. Your argument is invalid.

In other words, git gud argumentz.
---
#6Chagen46Posted 6/10/2014 7:30:15 PM(edited)
My point still stands.

MK8 is about knowing the track and racing with the best lines possible, only sometimes bolstered with items. MKW is just nothing but dumb item-spam and blue shells punishing skill all around. In 8 you usually can pull out a win no matter what you get if you have good lines and the like whereas in Wii you have to pray to Item Jesus to have a chance at winning.
---
#7Foolish_Banana2Posted 6/10/2014 7:31:31 PM
Chagen46 posted...
My point still stands.

MK8 is about knowing the track and racing with the best lines possible, only sometimes bolstered with items. MKW is just nothing but dumb item-spam and blue shells punishing skill all around.

Okay, I can't argue with you there because you're right. Personally, I just prefer MKW's style of items despite being punishing. I know, I'm masochistic. >.>

I love your sig by the way. Glad I'm not the only Baby Daisy fan on the board. :D
---
#8super_luigi16(Moderator)Posted 6/10/2014 7:34:42 PM(edited)
Chagen46 posted...
My point still stands.

MK8 is about knowing the track and racing with the best lines possible, only sometimes bolstered with items. MKW is just nothing but dumb item-spam and blue shells punishing skill all around. In 8 you usually can pull out a win no matter what you get if you have good lines and the like whereas in Wii you have to pray to Item Jesus to have a chance at winning.

This is so far off of the mark that it's not even funny. MKW had a better item meta by far, and it's not because you had to rely exclusively on them to win. It's because you could actually catch up with reasonable strategic efforts. In Mario Kart 8, you're actually praying to the MK Gods in order to get good items throughout the race.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/942008-mario-kart-wii/53677082

As opposed to...

super_luigi16 posted... | http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/700050-mario-kart-8/reviews/review-158228
It's so blatantly obvious that the game has decided to screw someone over now that one can simply walk away from a race knowing that they have no shot because the arbiter of fateóMario Kart 8's random number generatoródecided to give the five people in front of him or her significantly better items. First place is not as sheltered as before (background: first place has the best item situation because no one is in front of first to hit him or her), but it's ridiculous for tenth place to fare worse than fourth place on the item roulette. I admit, perhaps tenth should not always get better items than fourth, but tenth should generally get better items than fourth; in Mario Kart 8 this is not the case. It's basically a craps shoot as to what your item will be if you're below second place.

---
Luigi > Mario
http://www.facebook.com/SLFAQS | Current - MK8 FAQ/Walkthrough - MGWT FAQ/Walkthrough
#9Chagen46Posted 6/10/2014 7:39:04 PM(edited)
That's a gigantic exaggeration. Yes, sometimes you get mushrooms in twelfth and Crazy 8's in second. It's happened to me before. But you generally still get powerful items in lower places. And in first you don't have to count down till a blue stabs you in the butt like with Wii.

Wii had a "better item meta"? Good! I don't want items to be the main determining factor, I want track knowledge and good skill at turns to be the main determining factor. In 8 items HELP you, but you can't just coast on them like in Wii, playing like crap yet knowing you'll win because Item Jesus'll bless you with a lightning.

The fact that sandbagging was an actual tactic in Wii says a lot.
---
#10meowpikPosted 6/10/2014 7:44:18 PM
Chagen46 posted...

Except you completely missed the point. If I've been in first lap-and-a-half, but get combo'd into last or close to last, there's no way to redeem yourself. You can play perfectly, getting every drift down to a science, but, more often than not, you'll still end up in fifth or worse, because the items that the computers get and the items that you get will not allow you to.
---
"HACKER! HACKER! When has kirby had the ability to shoot... power!?!?"
-LuizPrower