I tried defending this item distribution, but it really is terrible.

#111BottlesTheMolePosted 6/11/2014 8:41:27 PM
I absolutely hate the "git gud" response because it's just a cop out. I had 9600+ VR when I stopped playing MKW (and it was still going up with every race, mind you), so I'm by no means bad at Mario Kart.
I will admit that MKW's item generator was much more frantic than MK8's; however, it was also much more reliable. I could count on defense when I needed it and offense when I needed it. I can only assume that the people who whine about the item system in MKW are butt-hurt because they couldn't prep for blue shells properly (either with a lead, or with a dodge). lol Ironically, they're the ones who needed to "git gud", and now they're defending this new item system that actually allows them to win.
#112A_MAZ_INGPosted 6/11/2014 8:52:16 PM
super_luigi16 posted...
A_MAZ_ING posted...
I've honestly never had it happen to me or my friends this much. I think it's a product of bunching, meaning in most races a lot of drivers will be very close together letting them all bomb me at once.

Even if it's not, I'm not delusional. Getting chained by items happens a lot more in this game, at least to me and my friends.

The lack of invincibility frames doesn't help. :P

Chagen46 posted...
Yeah, people are crammed together in this game. They tend to seperate into groups like this:

1st

2-3rd

4-10th

11-12th

Sometimes first breaks away into their own little group. Generally second and third are battling each other, eleventh and twelfth are limping along or rushing like mad to catch up, but fourth through tenth are engaged in a completely insane maelstrom of a war where everyone's hitting each other so much that they really can never catch up to the top three because everyone's hitting everyone else.

No invincibility frames! Ugh yep, that's a big factor. Can't believe I forgot about those.

And honestly, that's a pretty accurate description Chagen46. The bunching in this game is crazy. It's almost like they travel in herds.
It's worse when when 2nd -4th/5th is one big herd and you get chained on the last lap. I can (pending how much track is left) overcome dropping to 2nd or 3rd, but 4th -6th is usually a death kiss in the last lap.
#113Stanger5150Posted 6/11/2014 9:23:30 PM
Personally, I love the way it works this time around. 6th-12th should not automatically be entitled to the best items. That's like saying the last place driver in a NASCAR race is entitled to restart the race in first after a caution flag.

You're not entitled to an item-based lucky comback in this game, and I couldn't be happier.
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
#114DragoncometPosted 6/11/2014 9:51:28 PM
Everyone has the chance to win
---
"Elapsen semel occasionem non ipse potent lupiter reprehendere."
#115annie_na_mousePosted 6/11/2014 10:22:24 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
Personally, I love the way it works this time around. 6th-12th should not automatically be entitled to the best items. That's like saying the last place driver in a NASCAR race is entitled to restart the race in first after a caution flag.

You're not entitled to an item-based lucky comback in this game, and I couldn't be happier.

1) Whenever there is a caution flag in NASCAR, a random occurrence if you're not a conspiracy theorist, the field gets bunched up - i.e. everyone gets to catch up to the leader - and one "lucky dog" gets his (or her) lap back - i.e. he (or she) gets to catch up and then some. A great deal of strategy is built around the random occurrences that lead to caution flags, and races are often won and lost based primarily on the decisions made during those caution periods. While he was technically never last - he "only" made it as far back as 27/33 - Jacques Villeneuve was able to recover from a 2-lap deficit to win the 1995 Indy 500, primarily by strategically taking advantage of caution-period rules not dissimilar to those used in both the NASCAR and Indy Racing League series today (minus the "lucky dog" rule). Mario Kart is a lot more like "real" racing than most people on this board realize or would be comfortable admitting.

2) No one here is talking about entitlement but you. TC is just asking that the game give him a reasonable chance, by strategically using items given to him by the game, to recover from a setback that was likely caused by the items given by the game to other racers.
#116MetalgaidenPosted 6/11/2014 10:40:09 PM
Guys! Item Jesus is the reason Mario cart exists in the first place! So that each game is fun and different. If you want to follow the best lines, then get gran turismo and stop whining.
---
Balthier: I'm only here to see how the story unfolds. Any self-respecting leading man would do the same.
#117LightsasoriPosted 6/11/2014 11:01:49 PM
Yeah, this game is seriously screwy. I mean I got a bullet bill in 4th-5th place while the other guy behind me got a coin. If that isn't a big gigantic lol I don't know what is. MKW was frantic and getting hit by items suck, but this game makes it so that once you're in first place you basically have a safe spot up until you get hit by a blue shell.
---
"Yare yare daze" ~ Jotaro Kujo
"Children are pure, they know who's the strongest." ~ MaskDeSmith
#118Pink_a_DinkPosted 6/11/2014 11:04:11 PM
Metalgaiden posted...
Guys! Item Jesus is the reason Mario cart exists in the first place! So that each game is fun and different. If you want to follow the best lines, then get gran turismo and stop whining.

What the devil are you even saying?
---
Dark Souls II PvP in a nutshell - http://i.imgur.com/IGihDcP.gif
#119Dark_Link92Posted 6/11/2014 11:10:07 PM
You know what I hate? On a regular basis I'm given a single green shell in 5th. Like, yeah, thanks. That helps me possibly gain one position.
---
3DS FC: 4382-3271-9747
Friend Safari: Growlithe, Slugma, and Braixen.
#120esoterikaPosted 6/11/2014 11:18:54 PM
Mario Kart is not Nascar. It's its own game and if I wanted to play a more "true" racing game, I'd get Gran Turismo or Need For Speed.

Mario Kart's item system makes it a unique racing game. There are many items and some are much better than others. They needed to implement a system where it would be fair and 'balanced', where a good player could rely on skill and a little luck and players lagging behind could use a little extra luck to catch up. That is one of the main points of this game. If the item distribution was COMPLETELY random, then you can get any item at any place.

The way I personally think it should be is yes, you should have a HIGHER chance of getting better items at a lower place. Not always, but a higher chance. This is suppose to be a casual/family game, competitive yes, but there's definitely people who take it more seriously than just a casual game to play.

But the appeal of Mario Kart is that you can play with anyone and even if the odds are against you, as in you are not as good as the players you are playing against, you still MIGHT have a chance to win. Just maybe, you can get lucky and pull off some good plays and get ahead. You know how when you want to play a game with a friend but you are so much better at it than they are and beat them everytime? It's probably not that fun for either of you at some point. They don't have a chance because you are obviously more experienced and better, and as for you, you want some competition and don't want to have to "go easy". Maybe a little handicap isn't so bad, just so you guys can actually play the game together and have fun without feeling like its "unfair" or not matched well. Maybe your dumb 7 year old niece can beat grandpa one day .

Mario Kart isn't about being the best or pulling off every trick and line perfectly. It's about the thrill of the race and having that chance to maybe win, even if you aren't the best. That even if you are super awesome at this game, that you can still lose. It's random and there's always hope, and in the end, skilled players will still end up in a higher place. But everyone deserves to win sometimes and everyone should feel the frustration of losing every now and then. It's what makes this game unpredictable and fun.

That's how I feel about it anyways.This game needs to give the more "noobier" players a chance to win, otherwise it won't appeal to them and this is a CASUAL game, where people want to play for fun, and it's not fun if its imbalanced and you rarely win even if you do well.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter anyhow unless they patch it so I guess we'll just have to deal with it.