I tried defending this item distribution, but it really is terrible.

#41super_luigi16(Moderator)Posted 6/10/2014 10:01:16 PM
Chagen46 posted...
See, this is the problem with the Wii item system. First place shouldn't be thwarted. It should be the most well-protected position in the game. You're not in the 4-10 maelstrom of items being flung around, you've raced well, and now are in the lead. It should be the most well protected position. You earned it. This is why I hate the Wii Blue Shell. It punishes you for being in first place. You're already being attacked by second and third, why should the blue come to screw you over?

First place is the cushiest place on the leaderboard? Good. It should be. Second and third should have to work to get there. But in Wii they don't.

It still is the safest position to be in. Like it or not, first place only has to deal with attacks from the back (in most cases). The rest of the places have to deal with crap in front of them and crap behind them. The blue shell does not even come close to making up for all of the crap in front of a racer toward the middle or back of the pack. Second and third place do have to work to get to first; they need to circumvent all of first's traps and hope for a blue because nothing else is going to break first's item hoarding. Being attacked by second and third in MKW is a rare occurrence because you can wall most red shells with ease, you are holding another item in reserve if you know what you're doing, and you rarely have to deal with them throwing anything forward in front of you (i.e. bananas) because they're going to be protecting their own spots.

First is still relatively protected in MKW, but they can actually lose their position sometimes--the same cannot be said about MK7 or MK8.
---
Luigi > Mario
http://www.facebook.com/SLFAQS | Current - MK8 FAQ/Walkthrough - MGWT FAQ/Walkthrough
#42A_MAZ_INGPosted 6/10/2014 10:14:52 PM
Chagen46 posted...
A_MAZ_ING posted...

Couldn't agree with the bolted anymore. It's not an issue every race (least not for me), but I'd say about once every 3 races on 150cc, I'll have a moment on the last lap when I'm in like 1st and get caught without a shell/banana for defense, because it was used earlier, and get popped from behind by a shell.
Than it's like "Ok cool, just one hi-" BAM! Another shell, then two seconds later a Bob-omb! Now I'm in like 4th or 5th place with the guy who originally passed me having like an 8 second lead and no way for me to catch up considering how little track left, especially when their aren't any or many item boxes left.

Dude that happens in every goddamn Mario Kart in existence. Wii, N64, DD, DS, 7...getting chained to death by items is so common I'm amazed you're complaining about it.

I've honestly never had it happen to me or my friends this much. I think it's a product of bunching, meaning in most races a lot of drivers will be very close together letting them all bomb me at once.

Even if it's not, I'm not delusional. Getting chained by items happens a lot more in this game, at least to me and my friends.
#43super_luigi16(Moderator)Posted 6/10/2014 10:18:33 PM
A_MAZ_ING posted...
I've honestly never had it happen to me or my friends this much. I think it's a product of bunching, meaning in most races a lot of drivers will be very close together letting them all bomb me at once.

Even if it's not, I'm not delusional. Getting chained by items happens a lot more in this game, at least to me and my friends.

The lack of invincibility frames doesn't help. :P
---
Luigi > Mario
http://www.facebook.com/SLFAQS | Current - MK8 FAQ/Walkthrough - MGWT FAQ/Walkthrough
#44Chagen46Posted 6/10/2014 10:19:46 PM
Yeah, people are crammed together in this game. They tend to seperate into groups like this:

1st

2-3rd

4-10th

11-12th

Sometimes first breaks away into their own little group. Generally second and third are battling each other, eleventh and twelfth are limping along or rushing like mad to catch up, but fourth through tenth are engaged in a completely insane maelstrom of a war where everyone's hitting each other so much that they really can never catch up to the top three because everyone's hitting everyone else.
---
Baby Rosalina and Baby Daisy fanboy for life. Respect our adorable princesses!
#45Too_many_namesPosted 6/10/2014 10:54:02 PM
Both games should have had better item distribution. You can argue all you want, but MKW had a lot of crappy moments as well. I am starting to think MK8's meta is worse, but I can't know for sure,
because it's too early yet, but that does not make MKW a game that requires strategy or has a very high skill cap. I managed to keep 9999 VR in pro rooms back when I was active, and this is a sign that luck didn't play such a major part in the game, but there were always those terrible moments where you couldn't do anything while you got blasted by items.

MK8 might be more flawed than MKW, but that does not mean the latter deserves the praise it is getting by all the people here. It is quite ridiculous use the word "strategy" and the phrase "Mario Kart Wii" in the same sentence. And getting rewarded for sandbagging (or whatever it was called) while first place got killed by blues is not much better than frontrunning being the prevalent method of victory.
---
An old man once told me: "No old man is to be trusted".
#46Foolish_Banana2Posted 6/10/2014 11:28:18 PM
SL, Chagen is a known troll on MKBoards. Don't even bother with him. Save yourself the time and effort by not replying to him. You know you won't believe me, but trust me. It's true.
---
Wii U NNID: Banana_Mew
3DS friend code: 3153-5426-5994
#47Chagen46Posted 6/10/2014 11:31:15 PM
Foolish_Banana2 posted...
SL, Chagen is a known troll on MKBoards. Don't even bother with him. Save yourself the time and effort by not replying to him. You know you won't believe me, but trust me. It's true.

I posted like three times there and you're already calling me a troll.

Solely for saying that Wii was a busted piece of broken nonsense...which it is. And that this game rewards knowing how drive. Which it does.

Wow you are something else.
---
Baby Rosalina and Baby Daisy fanboy for life. Respect our adorable princesses!
#48TheGreenLuigiPosted 6/10/2014 11:31:34 PM
MK8 is so close to perfect in terms of items it's sad that it's not quite there. lower places need to get better loot and triple red shells shouldn't be able to be obtained by second place

everything else is perfect
---
it's only as serious as you want it to be
"Nobody ever goes and lies on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
#49Foolish_Banana2Posted 6/11/2014 1:11:53 AM
Chagen46 posted...
Foolish_Banana2 posted...

I posted like three times there and you're already calling me a troll.

Solely for saying that Wii was a busted piece of broken nonsense...which it is. And that this game rewards knowing how drive. Which it does.

Wow you are something else.

Thing is, it was a FUN busted piece of broken nonsense. To me, MK8 is fun, but without the crazy factor. I miss that element. It's what made Wii fun to play. If you ask me, the rage and infuriating moments from Wii are what made that game special in my heart. It has that certain charm that is hard to beat. MK8 feels like it's taking a step toward Gran Turismo, which to me is bad.

The thing that makes Mario Kart fun is the items. It's hard to have fun when the items in MK8 feel like this "random number generator" that SL mentioned in his review. He's absolutely right. While Wii was random, at least you could normally expect help in low positions when you needed it (stars, bullets, mushrooms; those things are what I'm talking about). With MK8, there's no such luxury. You could get a star or a bullet in low spots, but.......what's this? A single green in 12th? Now a blooper?

See where I'm coming from? The item distribution in MK8 is so messed up it's laughable. While Wii was frantic with items, at least in certain spots you usually knew what to expect. Like a thundercloud in 4th-8th. You knew that terrible item was always possible in those places. Now with MK8, you can get a powerful bullet bill in 3rd in a full room (that happened to me a couple of times, and this wasn't even in frantic mode). That's just wrong.

Give me Wii's item distribution over MK8's any day of the week. If you feel differently, that's fine. However, don't go around saying "git gud" when the item system is garbage. The facts are right in front of you with the first post and everything that SL has said. Now, observer them.
---
Wii U NNID: Banana_Mew
3DS friend code: 3153-5426-5994
#50Too_many_namesPosted 6/11/2014 1:14:15 AM
MKW and MK8's item systems are both bad.

There, topic closed :P
---
An old man once told me: "No old man is to be trusted".