Is there such a thing as a balanced game?

#1LG_RAVEPosted 6/21/2014 7:10:33 AM
Every time I visit this board it's has a lot of people whining and complaining about game balance and online having Rosalina and heavies being high tier. So I prompt these questions to YOU.

What is the most balanced video game you ever played?
Have you ever played a game that had no tiers and you could win with anyone? (Consider the opponent was as skilled as you)
Which Mario Kart has the most balance?

If the first 3 questions were no or none of them, then why are we asking Nintendo to do something that IMO is impossible. There is no such thing as balance. The only way to have balance is to have one character with the same traits. There is no such thing as balance in real life either. There are the gifted, the rich, the poor, the sick, the healthy, the beautiful people, the ugly ones with beauty within, the athletes, the band players, the nerds, the handicap. Sometimes in life we don't have a choice, unlike life we all have a choice at the character select screen.

A - We can pick a high tier, and load out combo that gives you the best combo to win.
B - We can pick a character we enjoy, or have loyalty to and try our best to win.

For some A and B is one in the same.

My answers.
1) Maybe UMvC3, Turtles Smash Up, or Street Fighter 4.
2) No, I haven't
3) None of them, if the game had no items then....

A Heavy would win in SMK
Toad in MK64
Not sure about MKSC, I assume Toad
Lightweight Train Combo in DD
Dry Bones, snaking and the tank in DS
Funky Kong, The Comet, in MKWii, if I'm not mistaken.
Metal Mario, not sure on the combo in 7
Rosalina or a Heavy, not sure on the combo either, in 8.

So the items are the game's answer to try to balance the game so people who don't pick the best combo have a chance to win. I just had a race where I made no mistakes but I couldn't pass the Rosalina in front of me, she just had a better speed combo than I did. She started in front and stayed in front,
---
PSN: Trap-Hole, don't get sucked in
#2gamestar3000Posted 6/21/2014 7:14:23 AM
Where is this conclusion that "rosalina = high tier" coming from? She's no different than the other cruiserweight characters, just overused.
---
"You have cities named french lick and south bend, we have stripclubs that offer the french lick and south bend" - Dan LeBatard
#3LG_RAVE(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 7:30:33 AM
That conclusion is coming from the results of the races I've participated in. A Rosalina 90% of the time finishes in 1st to 3rd. I also said heavy weights too.
---
#4gamestar3000Posted 6/21/2014 7:43:52 AM
I guess I hardly encounter many rosalinas/had a different experience, then. Because the ones I've been against don't do any better than anyone else.
---
"You have cities named french lick and south bend, we have stripclubs that offer the french lick and south bend" - Dan LeBatard
#5ThatKippPosted 6/21/2014 7:49:22 AM
LG_RAVE posted...
Metal Mario, not sure on the combo in 7 B-Dasher + Red Monster tires
Rosalina or a Heavy, not sure on the combo either, in 8. Circuit Special + Slick tires + Super Glider

---
http://i.imgur.com/Upcd7fL.png
#6Yamata_DemonPosted 6/21/2014 7:55:12 AM
I stopped reading at balance in real life.
---
http://i.imgur.com/jgYSN8l.gif
#7LG_RAVE(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 7:56:42 AM
Well there are other characters that have similar stats, and when items come into play, it opens the door for anyone. Would you say that MK8 is a balanced game?
---
#8lpkilla7Posted 6/21/2014 8:02:45 AM
1.I think there are too many chances for items in mariokart nowadays.
2.I also see turbo drifting as the only way now.
3. People sometimes get item spammed like crazy.
I would remove half the item chances on every map and remove drifting from the game completely. I would give 1.5 second immunity to anyone hit with an item. I believe these 3 things would add more balance to the game.
#9QualiTPosted 6/21/2014 8:03:44 AM
LG_RAVE posted...
Would you say that MK8 is a balanced game?

Not by a longshot.
---
All Things Require Sacrifice.
#10KiyohimePosted 6/21/2014 8:04:16 AM
Mario Kart 8 isn't balanced. Neither was 7, Wii, or any other game in the series. People are always going to gravitate towards "ideal" weight classes and part setups. Competitive play is rarely high up on Nintendo's priority list when designing game mechanics.