Savage labyrinth heart piece... wtf?

#1Nerreltron9000Posted 10/15/2013 6:15:46 PM
For those who don't know, the heart piece normally found at the bottom of the labyrinth is now gone. I don't consider this a spoiler as much as a warning, since the main incentive for completing the extra 35 levels of the labyrinth is removed.

I did the labyrinth on hero mode and figured I must have blown through so fast I missed the chest, so... I did it over again. After that, I panicked and rechecked every dungeon just to be sure I had all the charts.
All in all, I wasted probably 3 hours of time before finding out that the piece was arbitrarily moved to a treasure chart on pawprint isle.

Is it just me, or is moving the single hardest heart piece in the game to get to a random location (without giving any forewarning to veteran players) a bit of bad game design? Sure, the hero's charm is there at the bottom now, but I wouldn't consider that to be worth the trouble on its own. At least, not without some crazy new abilities added in.

Was I the only one bothered by this? I really don't know what Nintendo was trying to do here. There are so many things they didn't fix, yet they took time to screw up one of the things that actually worked fine.

Rage! Raaaggee!
#2TyphlaxPosted 10/15/2013 6:19:16 PM
I think a special unique item with specific function is more fitting of a reward than a heart piece, of which you can get from doing menial things like sorting letters.

It's also only 20 floors extra after the Triforce piece not 30.

And I also don't understand how it's bad game design that you thought you had to redo the entire dungeon and waste three hours when, that just sounds to me like its your own fault tbh.
---
TyphlosionEXplOsIOn
GT: Pyroskank
#3bladexdslPosted 10/15/2013 6:36:00 PM(edited)
i agree it's pretty worthless to get by that time you can get to it you have to have completed all the dungeons or at least get the mirror shield and hookshot you only have ganon left to fight and his health doesn't even show up with it so what's the point in it than?
#4Nerreltron9000(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 7:57:25 PM
Typhlax posted...
I think a special unique item with specific function is more fitting of a reward than a heart piece, of which you can get from doing menial things like sorting letters.

It's also only 20 floors extra after the Triforce piece not 30.

And I also don't understand how it's bad game design that you thought you had to redo the entire dungeon and waste three hours when, that just sounds to me like its your own fault tbh.

Unique or not, it's useless. There are very few enemies who even last long enough in a fight for a health meter to be helpful.

I said why I think it's bad game design, because Nintendo knew that many of the players would be returning from the original. Considering that so little has been changed with the other pieces, players will be expecting that heart piece to still be there. It's been the known reward for finishing the most difficult task in the game for a decade.

Even if I hadn't wasted that time, I still would have been disappointed to have gotten the hero's charm. The swift sail, on the other hand, absolutely would have been worth it, but it would have sucked getting it that late in the game.

If Nintendo really wanted the hero's charm to be more rewarding, bundling the heart piece and charm together in the labyrinth at different levels would have been better. No one would be missing the joy pendant trade for it anyway.
#5NFITC1Posted 10/16/2013 8:14:28 AM
bladexdsl posted...
i agree it's pretty worthless to get by that time you can get to it you have to have completed all the dungeons or at least get the mirror shield and hookshot you only have ganon left to fight and his health doesn't even show up with it so what's the point in it than?

You have four of the first six bosses to re-fight as well as Ganon. The Hero's Charm was stupid easy to get in the original and wasn't even that challenging to people who knew what how. It was so simple to get it might as well have been a setting in the options screen.
Putting it at the bottom of the Labyrinth makes sense to me, but it probably should be available at the beginning of Hero Mode or a second playthrough.
---
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3361/jokertotabx7.png
Happily married since May 31, 2003
#6quittaboi78Posted 10/17/2013 11:00:05 AM
Man, you would not like the original reward for beating the Savage Labyrinth in the Japanese GameCube version... Ten Rupees! Of course, the localizers understood that personal satisfaction was a dying concept when it was nearing release, so they switched a few chests around so that you get a Piece of Heart here. That's why the reward for the Cave of Trials in Twilight Princess was lacking - Japanese developers ignoring gaijin things.
---
Whoever started using the word "canon" in this context, anyway?
I hear it all the time now, and I'd like to slap him. - Green Gibbon!
#7Deku TreePosted 10/17/2013 11:08:42 AM
Sorry I don't feel bad for you:

(1) its a game. if your not having fun then stop playing.
(2) there are numerous lists of the changes between the games, including a sticky topic on this board that contains exactly the information that you didn't have. If you are going to brave 50 levels of punishing enemies for a specific reward then you should check what the reward is ahead of time.
(3) in the original japanese version of the game this reward was only a yellow (10) rupee. be grateful that you got more than they did. :)
---
"It seems deku is the smartest of us all..." - DARKxCRIMS0N