Wish this game had a proper main character

#11HolystarPosted 6/12/2014 9:01:10 AM
I dislike the avatar / silent protagonists too... all the way since Zelda on the N64. To me, it always feels as if something is missing and actually prevents me from fully immersing into the game's world for whatever reason.

But on the other hand, it's not a game breaker for me, so if the rest is similar to Xenoblade, I should be able to live with it. :)
---
Currently playing: Lightning Returns: FFXIII (X360, US)
Most wanted: Xenoblade Chronicles X (WU, JP), Star Ocean 5 (?^^)
#12EnaikeiPosted 6/12/2014 9:08:18 AM
Creating your own main character gets a huge plus from me. Making a new hero/heroine will make new game files feel fresh.
Can't wait for this game!!!
#13Sentinel07Posted 6/12/2014 9:15:06 AM
Breyant posted...
I like the idea of creating the main character but I hate silent protagonists. I will deal with it, it doesn't ruin the game for me, but I am so tired of Japanese devs thinking having a completely blank character just staring and nodding at other characters somehow makes me feel like I am the main character. It doesn't. It's just awkward and outdated.

Agreed 100% here.
#14VanilleHopenPosted 6/12/2014 9:54:07 AM
speaking of characters being silent have any of you played white knight chornicles??? I am trying to get into it and its just soo boring so far.. THe combat is mindless and you just click the button the enemy is weak too once or twice and they drop....

Seems so lame to me.
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#15Rikkus_dadPosted 6/12/2014 11:18:03 AM
I worry about it because of the chance it will be handled like how White Knight Chronicles did it.
---
It's "I couldn't care less" NOT "I could care less"!! Why do 90% of English speakers get this wrong?
#16MaouSadoPosted 6/12/2014 11:58:13 AM
Segascream posted...
I agree, proper main characters are more interesting.

This.

BUT, we have to see. The guys behind this aren't exactly scrubs.

Allow us to make a character, but make him STILL an actual character in the game excluding whatever name we chose.
#17VyseLegendairePosted 6/12/2014 12:02:08 PM
Silent protagonist doesn't jive with me either.
---
"Why the hell would the director decide to use the sounds of happy children if we were supposed to interpret that humanity had been destroyed?"
#18KOTRsssPosted 6/12/2014 12:14:03 PM
Customizable/silent main characters can work, but for a game like this it doesnt seem like it will fit well.

It's pretty much impossible to make the main character important to the plot when they are unable to talk outside of specific instances, and it makes it very hard to establish a meaningful relationship between characters.

Take persona, for example. The relationships you develop are entirely one-sided. It works because that's the way that the story is designed to unfold, but as far as actual friendships go, Persona 3 and 4 arent very believable.

Mass Effect got away with it because the chat wheel function actually allowed the player to constantly choose dialog at a rate that allowed Shepherd to have a normal amount of dialog even by non-"silent" protagonist standards.

The whole customizable "blank slate" concept doesnt work very well in the middle of a concretely defined, linear plot that uses cutscenes as a means of storytelling.
---
This post tried its hardest to be polite
#19VyseLegendairePosted 6/12/2014 12:16:07 PM
I totally agree KOTRsss, but maybe theres still a chance for this game to have dialogue trees or decision trees at points we haven't seen yet.
---
"Why the hell would the director decide to use the sounds of happy children if we were supposed to interpret that humanity had been destroyed?"
#20VanilleHopenPosted 6/12/2014 12:23:33 PM
ew it's so weird seeing kOTRs attempt to post something of value when all i usually see that he does is troll the ff boards..

I guess the status of troll/valued poster depends more on the game and board you are on rather than our own individual personalities..
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.