Never played either series...

#1jillwarrenPosted 2/2/2013 10:09:05 PM
... please tell me which game from each series would be the best to give me a good idea about them.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I owe Jesus everything; I love you Lord
#2zeik56Posted 2/2/2013 10:43:49 PM
Fire Emblem 7 (Fire Emblem GBA) or Awakening seem to be common recommendations.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or Strange Journey are good starting points if you want to know how the core series plays.
---
~Mirror, mirror, on my floor, am I the prettiest at the store?
#3KneekickerPosted 2/4/2013 7:49:11 PM
Personally, I suggest playing Path of Radiance first, it isn't the best FE game but I started with that game too and it made for a pretty good introduction to the entire series because the tutorial was good and the difficulty was so-so.

As for SMT, play either Digital Saga 1 or Soul Hackers when it comes out since those are pretty similar to main SMT and the difficulty will give you a good feel of what the series is like without kicking your butt too hard.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6117-3933 PSN: ansonip2000
Official Take-Mikazuchi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#4DynamicJumpIuffPosted 2/4/2013 8:00:46 PM(edited)
I know I'm in the minority here but Digital Devil Saga was the hardest game in the entire metaseries. Nocturne or a translated version of one of the earlier SNES games would give you a great idea of what SMT is all about.

For FE, FE7 or Awakening are good starting points. Maybe Sacred Stones because of how easy it is.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#5tiosukePosted 2/16/2013 5:30:45 AM
^how was digital devil saga hard? your main character can die without getting a game over........so much easier than nocturne lol
#6DynamicJumpIuffPosted 2/16/2013 8:25:31 AM(edited)
^how was digital devil saga hard? your main character can die without getting a game over........so much easier than nocturne lol

It was incredibly easy to keep the Demi-Fiend alive in Nocturne. ESPECIALLY considering he tended to kick more ass than his demons. Nocturne also made it easy to cover up weaknesses. In DDS, you were stuck with your characters weakness until near the endgame.

Digital Devil Saga just made you weak and pathetic. Many random encounters were SET AMBUSHES and ambushes in this game started you off in your human form. There's a huge amount of grinding whereas Nocturne literally required none. The dungeons, while really cool, were absolutely annoying because of the random encounters and ambushes.

Bonus Bosses rocked though.

And then we get to the second game where it's possible to screw up so bad you need to start from the beginning. My party from the beginning was Serph, Argilla, and Roland. You can probably guess how badly that went.

At least the Bonus Bosses were still rockin'.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#7DaimaoTakahashiPosted 2/16/2013 9:02:33 AM
tiosuke posted...

Demi-Fiend. There was other Bonus Bosses too, but Demi-Fiend...just Demi-Fiend.
#8MelkacPosted 2/16/2013 11:53:06 AM
Fire emblem awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

IV hasn't been released yet...so...wait :)
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#9Lelouch71Posted 2/16/2013 4:08:44 PM
Personally I always recommend newbies to play Devil Survivor Overclocked. It's more character driven than the main titles, but it does give you a general idea of what megaten is about. From there you can try out Nocturne and SJ. If you can enjoy the dungeon crawling of those two games then you can get into the upcoming Soul Hackers and later SMT4.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#10Plasma EXEPosted 2/16/2013 11:36:16 PM
Strange Journey will give you an impression on what the main series is like. There's also Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 on the PS2.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is probably the best game to start the series with since the game caters to people new and old to the series with it's multiple difficulty settings.
---
The official Shiki-Ouji of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC - 2750-1413-5336