scouting and drafting

#1sharkshooter21Posted 8/27/2013 7:44:39 PM
any suggestions on what to look at when scouting the college players and who to draft. I feel like all line players do not do anything special on either side of the ball to have to draft them high.
#2IslandHopper38Posted 8/27/2013 8:21:49 PM
For me in Madden '13 it was all about the player's awareness level. If a player's awareness was less than C, then I stopped scouting them. This was very helpful in finding a "diamond in the rough" during the middle rounds in the draft.
---
"Even gold must go through fire, only to become brand new in the end."
- Soul Position
#3forrestzK08Posted 8/27/2013 9:43:23 PM
IslandHopper38 posted...
For me in Madden '13 it was all about the player's awareness level. If a player's awareness was less than C, then I stopped scouting them. This was very helpful in finding a "diamond in the rough" during the middle rounds in the draft.

Awful advice. Many players have crap awareness/BCV or play recognition but are amazing in every other aspect. Last game Dontari Poe had a 100 physical grade and high 90's in durability and size but low Intangibles which left him in upper 70's overall. You take a year or two and he could be 88 overall. Same with any low awareness guy
---
Sorry about any spelling mistakes. Most of my posts are from my phone when I'm bored at work.
#4vamosalaplayaPosted 8/27/2013 10:07:15 PM
It depends on what you want. If you want a guy you can plug in and he'll do fine for his whole career you look at awareness. If you want to maximize your positions over the very long term you look for athletes because things like awareness and positional skills are much cheaper than speed strength and the like. Ideally, you want players who fit your scheme, are athletic, and have quick or superstar development. But off course you don't have the points to figure all that out. My advice is key on what exactly you want and need along with the talent in the draft. Dont hesitate to trade back in the draft--accumulating picks is key to long term success and generally, the more picks you have the more opportunity you have to get good players and overcome bad picks. Sucks when you have a few picks and don't get anything good And it also sucks not having the trade bait to manuever around if you really want a player

Overall is very misleading as remember, overall is a matter of player type, attributes, and your scheme. A simple example is a guy like Richard Seymour is 90 overall if you want a 4-3 balanced DT. But if you want a nose tackle he is 74.
#5IslandHopper38Posted 8/27/2013 10:10:18 PM
forrestzK08 posted...
IslandHopper38 posted...

Awful advice. Many players have crap awareness/BCV or play recognition but are amazing in every other aspect. Last game Dontari Poe had a 100 physical grade and high 90's in durability and size but low Intangibles which left him in upper 70's overall. You take a year or two and he could be 88 overall. Same with any low awareness guy

I see your point. However, look at it this way. Awareness only cost you 100 to look at a person. You get at least 2000 points to spend each week. The first few weeks of the season you're just looking at potential draft picks and the cheapest way to spread those points are by spending it on an awareness letter grade.

It's an effective first step when trying to differentiate a future stud or the next JaMarcus Russell.
---
"Even gold must go through fire, only to become brand new in the end."
- Soul Position