Play ball trait

#1djdeejPosted 10/14/2013 11:35:15 PM
I created a free safety for a connected career (undrafted, signed to Cowboys for a 1st string spot), and in his rookie year, I simulated 14 of the 16 regular season games. That year he was a 73 overall, but had 6 interceptions (none of them user picks, and it was good for 2nd in the NFL that year), was voted to the Pro Bowl, and finished 2nd in DROY and DPOY. This was when his play ball trait was "aggressive".

Now he is in his 5th year, rated 93 overall. In his second, third and fourth year, he averaged about 2 interceptions per season, where I "upgraded" his play ball trait to conservative. He has not been voted to any more pro bowls, and never finished in the top ten for player of the year voting.

Was I better off keeping this trait aggressive? The only reason I upgraded this was because it would supposedly "improve the player's ability to play the ball in the air." It couldn't be because he is so good overall now that quarterbacks don't throw to his zone, could it? Does this trait only improve pass deflections?

Before you ask, I haven't checked most of his simulated games stats, mainly because of the tedious menu digging that must be done after each game.
---
But I play on PVP servers for the sole purpose of the STV levels. Damn place is like Vietnam. - Xilnold
#2DelDantePosted 10/15/2013 12:29:19 AM
Aggressive will mean that he will always try and play the ball, which sometimes will result in taking a bad angle for it and blowing his coverage.

The more you attempt to play the ball the more INTs you'll likely have. Conservative play will stay in coverage and try to disrupt the play via shadowing / pass break-ups.

That's what I reckon.
---
[R][A][V][E][N][S]
Yahoo Fantasy NFL 313 Legacy Champion 2012
#3djdeej(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 12:51:35 AM
I figured as much. I guess I shouldn't be so disappointed and leave the INTs to the cornerbacks. Safeties provide help over the top, so that 6 INT year was probably lucky.
---
But I play on PVP servers for the sole purpose of the STV levels. Damn place is like Vietnam. - Xilnold