What was it about Goldberg that made people go crazy in WCW?

#21TheRobPosted 10/11/2013 7:55:15 PM(edited)
Zack_Attackv1 posted...
TheRob, just because a dirtsheet says it, doesn't mean it happened, dawg.

Like I said, it wasn't just dirt sheets saying it. Fans who went to the shows said as much.

A-Court posted...
TheRob posted...
A-Court posted...
TheRob posted...
A lot of it was BS anyway. I know he did get a following, but for a while it was blatantly obvious that they were playing a pre-recorded Goldberg chant in the arenas to make it sound like he was even more popular than he was.

how and where?

It wasn't a well kept secret. People who went to the events even said it, Goldberg chants were being piped out through the speakers around the arenas. It was another way to help with the push to the sky they were giving him.

So it wasn't "blatantly obvious" its a rumour? Possibly true Possibly not. Thanks for clearing it up.

It was blatantly obvious early on because a lot of the time they panned around the arenas during his entrance and you'd see a lot of people just standing around not chanting, yet the chants were some how deafening? This was before the Goldberg fan base actually kicked in. So how does that work? Later on it was more of the actual crowds doing the Goldberg chants, but early on it definitely wasn't all the crowds's doing.

You can believe it's a rumor, but actually sitting there week after week and seeing the quiet crowds somehow belting out "Goldberg!" chants makes me believe it as fact. I'm not saying that he didn't get a following at all and that it was all fictional, but early on this was one of their tactics to help push him onto the crowd.

It was also the reason why when WWF/WWE parodied him with "Gillberg" they had "Gillberg!" chants blasted through the speakers too when he entered the arenas.

---
The People's Heel
IF YA SMEELLLALALAO..WHAT THE ROB IS COOKING !!!
'B-|
#22Glover33448Posted 10/11/2013 10:21:33 PM
Foreman22 posted...
Hardcore WWE fans don't like because he is the biggest name that Vince never created.

Sting, Ric Flair, and countless others would like to speak to you.
---
"Vampire Penguins...Zombie Guinea Pigs...We're done for!"
Some British Dude's Random Sleep Talk
#23Edbean1977Posted 10/11/2013 10:26:18 PM
His physical intensity was in a league of it's own. Some of Goldberg's spears looked like legitimate life-enders. And the fact that he could jackhammer anyone - absolutely anyone - gave his finisher an edge that many didn't have.
#24Glover33448Posted 10/11/2013 10:30:27 PM
About the piped in chants, it was indeed a very well known fact at the time. WCW came here to Colorado and one of my friends said it was annoying as all hell. Not only that other, non-dirt sheet, books have pointed this out as well. Pretty sure Bischoff mentioned it in his own book and the book about the Death of WCW by an independent source also talks about piped in Goldberg chants. They also mention how Goldberg was winning more matches than he participated in.

I think he got over with WCW fans so much though because he was the first homegrown star they'd had in quite some time. For a company that built up a lot of big names like Sting, Vader, Flair, and others in the 80's and early 90's suddenly all we saw were guys from WWF. He gave true WCW fans something unique and their own to get behind.
---
#25enterthemadroxPosted 10/12/2013 1:51:50 AM
Devilanse333 posted...
I think hardcore fans didn't like him because he didn't really put in the time like others did. He just showed up and they pushed him. Plus his matches were only like 10 seconds long.

I was a hardcore wrestling fan but thought Goldberg was great.

It was a combination of his look, his raw power (hadn't seen anyone demolish opponents that quickly since Taz debuted the MMA gimmick in ECW back in 95/96) and loved the fact his matches ended quickly, not only to hide his lack of grappling ability but it just put the gimmick over even more.

It's funny because when Brock debuted, a lot of people thought of him as a Goldberg clone and "WWF's answer to Goldberg" and these days, fans are way more cynical so the whole "unstoppable beast" thing doesn't go over so well.
---
"If you don't like something, don't watch it again. Why whinge about it on a forum to a load of divs? Don't worry about it." - Karl Pilkington
#26KHWyvernPosted 10/12/2013 8:01:17 AM
TheRob posted...
A lot of it was BS anyway. I know he did get a following, but for a while it was blatantly obvious that they were playing a pre-recorded Goldberg chant in the arenas to make it sound like he was even more popular than he was.

When did WCW turn into the WWE?
---
You come out here with your bright ass purple shirt, your green shirt, before that your orange shirt, You look like A BIG FAT BOWL OF FRUITY PEBBLES!- The Rock
#27lighting_rock84Posted 10/12/2013 8:52:15 AM
KHWyvern posted...
TheRob posted...

---
Die Monster! You don't belong in this world!
Pokemon White FC:0132-4106-0107
#28Glover33448Posted 10/12/2013 11:18:44 AM
KHWyvern posted...
TheRob posted...

Pretty much when they hired Hall, Nash, and every other roster member Vince had at the time except Bret Hart.
---
#29SlymSkerrrrrtPosted 10/12/2013 11:57:52 AM
They still thought it was real, and he never lost. Also his entrance was over the top so they assumed he must be important.

Not hard to figure out really.
#30SirdeeboPosted 10/12/2013 4:13:39 PM
watch this lol

Regal was supposed to get squashed, but he actually broke the code and gave goldberg a good match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4IdelJfk2k