I was looking forward to this game, but...

#1NeoFinalFantasyPosted 7/14/2013 6:38:30 PM
...then I learned of its multiplayer plan. I was hoping that this would be the kind of game where you can play a single player game offline and when you feel like it, invite your friends to explore the world together online. I don't see why it has to be always online. I mean it's not an MMO where there are a lot of players to make it a different kind of experience. If it was an MMO, then it's inevitable to be always online. I have a feeling this an excuse for an always online DRM, especially now that it's published by c***vision. I don't know if there's a chance that Bungie might change their policy and include a single player mode. It would be great if there was a petition for an offline mode. Oh well...if this great game stays the way it is, then I guess I'll be one of the many players who won't be getting it.
#2dotsgalore218Posted 7/14/2013 9:15:17 PM
Well i hope your stay here was pleasant.
---
Not changing my sig until Sydney FC win the AFC Champions League (started 14-2-10)
#3NeoFinalFantasy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 10:31:01 PM
dotsgalore218 posted...
Well i hope your stay here was pleasant.

As well as all those who feel the same I do.
#4Darth_NnPosted 7/14/2013 11:10:27 PM
NeoFinalFantasy posted...
...then I learned of its multiplayer plan. I was hoping that this would be the kind of game where you can play a single player game offline and when you feel like it, invite your friends to explore the world together online. I don't see why it has to be always online. I mean it's not an MMO where there are a lot of players to make it a different kind of experience. If it was an MMO, then it's inevitable to be always online. I have a feeling this an excuse for an always online DRM, especially now that it's published by c***vision. I don't know if there's a chance that Bungie might change their policy and include a single player mode. It would be great if there was a petition for an offline mode. Oh well...if this great game stays the way it is, then I guess I'll be one of the many players who won't be getting it.

are you unaware that that specific feature is a major facet of this game?
---
ZenNn
PSN: Darth_Nn
#5Moose_Of_WoePosted 7/14/2013 11:17:10 PM(edited)
I don't mind online only games as they often have some to all player save data stored on servers.

If someone wants to cheat they'll have a difficult time depending on how much data is server side. The down side is you can't play single player games offline like that, but for MP only games there is no reason not to have all data server side if you're going to be online any way.
#6xHughJasxPosted 7/15/2013 10:31:49 AM
Do u have a problematic internet connection?
---
If there wasn't people who blindly defended themselves when proven full of s*** time and again, there'd be no religious people.Or republicans. -jowephocks
#7Fear_AwakensPosted 7/15/2013 2:25:49 PM
...But... it is an MMO. I mean, Bungie doesn't want to call it that, but that's what it is, an MMO. All I've got is Dial-Up, since nothing else is offered in my area (lazy-ass companies don't want to come out here to give me high-speed, so they just tell me they don't offer support for my area, stupid jerks) so I won't get to play this, and that really grinds my gears, but the simple truth is that it's an MMOFPS.

Why Bungie doesn't just come out and say that, I don't know. But this game is still going to get huge, because it's got too much potential to be deterred by unfortunate souls with bad or no internet. Am I bitter than there's no offline single player like Borderlands had? You bet your sweet ass I am. But I don't have any illusions that a bunch of names on a twitter or facebook page is going to force Bungie to add that in. Even if it did, it'd probably be a watered-down experience with a bad story that just functions as a tutorial for the online, and I had enough of that crap with Phantasy Star Universe.

My point is that I can see where you're coming from, but nothing we do will change it, and I'm going to hope Bungie actually makes a game with a single player option again some day using the tons of money they're going to get from this game.
---
"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness." - Masamune Date
#8NeoFinalFantasy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 9:11:45 PM
xHughJasx posted...
Do u have a problematic internet connection?

It's not problematic per se, but it's not that great. But the main problem I have with this game is that it could've easily implemented a single player mode. You'd think a game with very high production costs would try cater to a much larger user base to even make up for their production costs, but I can't see this game having a smooth success. A very large portion of the console user base would play games offline about 65%-70% of their time, and play online multiplayer features for some time after they're done with the single player campaign.

Normally, I wouldn't be making a fuss about an online only game, but this is a game that I've been looking very forward to, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. This isn't a game like say, Dust 514 if I remember the name correctly. That game would attract those looking for an online shooter, while those who aren't could overlook it. I'm sure a game like Destiny though, has a huge attention from the gaming community. Dust was also free to play, so you won't lose anything if you didn't spend much time on it, but that's probably a different topic.
#9NeoFinalFantasy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 9:30:39 PM
Darth_Nn posted...
NeoFinalFantasy posted...

are you unaware that that specific feature is a major facet of this game?

From what I've read, this isn't the kind of game where 30+ players participate on one side, which would've made a single player mode impossible. The game allows only a limited number of players on one group, which means the game was designed in a way that would still make a single player mode possible, with some AI from time to time if needs be. Playing the game with your friends is nice and all, but why force it on them if there's a possibility to play offline, especially for those without a reliable connection?
#10NeoFinalFantasy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 10:27:50 PM
Fear_Awakens posted...
...But... it is an MMO. I mean, Bungie doesn't want to call it that, but that's what it is, an MMO. All I've got is Dial-Up, since nothing else is offered in my area (lazy-ass companies don't want to come out here to give me high-speed, so they just tell me they don't offer support for my area, stupid jerks) so I won't get to play this, and that really grinds my gears, but the simple truth is that it's an MMOFPS.

Why Bungie doesn't just come out and say that, I don't know. But this game is still going to get huge, because it's got too much potential to be deterred by unfortunate souls with bad or no internet. Am I bitter than there's no offline single player like Borderlands had? You bet your sweet ass I am. But I don't have any illusions that a bunch of names on a twitter or facebook page is going to force Bungie to add that in. Even if it did, it'd probably be a watered-down experience with a bad story that just functions as a tutorial for the online, and I had enough of that crap with Phantasy Star Universe.

My point is that I can see where you're coming from, but nothing we do will change it, and I'm going to hope Bungie actually makes a game with a single player option again some day using the tons of money they're going to get from this game.

Of course, a game like Destiny has huge potential, but from what I've read about it, it needs to sell 10 million copies just to break even. I don't know if that's true or not, but I know for certain that it needs to sell way more than the typical high budget game to make any profits at all. I've already read a lot of comments on several websites, about 45% of them aren't willing to pay for "an online only game," and I'm not taking into account those who still don't know whether this game will play offline or not, there are still people who're not sure, and I don't think they'll be asking if they weren't concerned. I'm not saying it will fail, but it won't have a smooth success as if it would if it had a single player campaign.

It depends on what company, whether they'll listen to petitions or not. A company like activision don't give a c*** about its consumers, but I think a company like Bungie would listen to their fans. It would be interesting to see what will happen if there was such a petition, with these two being very different companies.

I don't think a single player campaign would compromise the story. Destiny is made with a great story in mind, some developers even stated that stories are much easier to implement for a single player game than a multiplayer one. The only way for a game to have a bad story is if it's developers weren't interested in creating one in the first place, and tacked on a single player campaign only because they were required to. I don't think that's the case with Destiny, in fact, it might be the other way around, they made the game an online only game because their deal with activision required them to. And since they're bound to them for ten years, it might take that long to see them make a single player game again, unless Destiny didn't become the huge success the way they were hoping for. if it does, then get ready for a generation full of DRM tacked on as features. I honestly don't know why the xbone's DRM policies were made out to be such a big deal if DRM will be abundant on next gen's games.