What makes this game so "ambitious"?

#1Virus731Posted 8/22/2014 10:41:12 PM
I'm really out of the loop for this game... only impulse bought a console the other day, never had any intention to own one before. What makes this game different to other FPS's? I get that there are RPG elements and loot, but Borderlands has that. What's the big draw to this game?
---
I hope this ****in' world ****in' burns away
And I'd kill you all if I had my way
#2SterlingFoxPosted 8/22/2014 10:57:47 PM
Its less that its ambitious and new, and more that its just made really well so its fun.

Its basically like an improvement on Borderlands. Like if they took Borderlands, removed the unfunny Internet meme reddit humor, and actually improved and expanded their game instead of just rinsing it off and repeating it.
---
My GTA Online Deathmatch, "The Lost of Us"
http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/doctor-jack/games/gtav/jobs
#3CykliskPosted 8/23/2014 4:21:10 AM
Destiny IS ambitious. It's rare to see such a well acclaimed developer put all of its eggs in 1 basket for the next 10 years.

It may not be for you, or it may not be controversially new ideas for gameplay we have never seen before - but it is ambitious. :)
---
Happiness is a byproduct of function, purpose, and conflict; those who seek happiness for itself seek victory without war.
#4xmenPosted 8/23/2014 5:09:42 AM
Destiny is ambitious for calling this game ambitious and expect people to believe this game is ambitious.

Now that is ambitious.
#5KClubs23Posted 8/23/2014 5:16:49 AM
The game itself isn't that ambitious, as far as games go. At the end of the day, it's a sci-fi MMO FPS with RPG elements and a high production value.

Like Cyklisk said, the ambition lies in Bungie's plans for the franchise.
---
Sarcasm is sooo hard to convey in a written format.
#6CrysianiaPosted 8/23/2014 5:22:48 AM
Their targets are ambitious, read the bungie - activision contract.
---
PSN - Sacred_Darksoul
#7DepressedOtterPosted 8/23/2014 5:27:39 AM
It's goty all y's
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ThatRavage
http://i.imgur.com/8xkwd.png
#8VobeDarkElfPosted 8/23/2014 6:15:05 AM
The thing is, it doesn't really look that ambitious to the players. But on the developer side, it really is very ambitious.

For one thing, they have made a massive commitment to it. They are planning to support Destiny with Expansions and maybe Sequels for the next 10 years. A huge amount of money has already been invested for that purpose.

Although a lot of people will argue that this is not an MMO, under the hood the technology is. This is not a stand alone game like you typically see with an FPS or a Console game. Bungie has created a massive server and network structure to run this game. That's neither cheap nor easy to do. And even then, MMOs tend to use much more simple combat mechanics, so that the server system can handle the combat of countless players and NPCs all at once without choking. A FPS has much more complex combat mechanics. So a game like this, with FPS style gameplay, built upon an MMO style infrastructure is pretty darn ambitious and unusual.

Sure, there's Planetside and Planetside 2, but those games are 100% PvP. The servers don't need to manage AI for PvE content.
#9SterlingFoxPosted 8/23/2014 6:17:49 AM
VobeDarkElf posted...
The thing is, it doesn't really look that ambitious to the players. But on the developer side, it really is very ambitious.

For one thing, they have made a massive commitment to it. They are planning to support Destiny with Expansions and maybe Sequels for the next 10 years. A huge amount of money has already been invested for that purpose.

Although a lot of people will argue that this is not an MMO, under the hood the technology is. This is not a stand alone game like you typically see with an FPS or a Console game. Bungie has created a massive server and network structure to run this game. That's neither cheap nor easy to do. And even then, MMOs tend to use much more simple combat mechanics, so that the server system can handle the combat of countless players and NPCs all at once without choking. A FPS has much more complex combat mechanics. So a game like this, with FPS style gameplay, built upon an MMO style infrastructure is pretty darn ambitious and unusual.

Sure, there's Planetside and Planetside 2, but those games are 100% PvP. The servers don't need to manage AI for PvE content.

Warframe.
---
My GTA Online Deathmatch, "The Lost of Us"
http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/doctor-jack/games/gtav/jobs
#10CykliskPosted 8/23/2014 6:19:41 AM
SterlingFox posted...
VobeDarkElf posted...

Warframe.

Warframe and Destiny - potato/potato? lol
---
Happiness is a byproduct of function, purpose, and conflict; those who seek happiness for itself seek victory without war.