Do you think big companies will learn from this game ?

#1lord_canadaPosted 3/25/2013 9:14:02 AM
I mean Capcom, Konami, EA and others should take notes. This is how horror games should be, I have a lot of hope that this game will turn out good.

There are more to come, Outlast and Amnesia looks promising. I think it will be a good year for this genre.

So does anyone think that Capcom and company should drop their lame ideas of having big guns and coop in their survival horror games ? I think they should...
#2pikmintaroPosted 3/25/2013 10:40:50 AM
I seriously doubt it since they want to make money, and it would tick me off also since I don't want every game to be a clone of this.

Give me a good variety of games like this, and AAA horror games with more action, as long as they are fun it doesn't matter, to say that big companies need to "learn from this" is just close minded, they probably won't "learn" from this game unless it makes more money than a big blockbuster horror game.
---
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
#3Fake_GustavePosted 3/25/2013 5:39:28 PM
I don't think games like this which legitimately horrify audiences works well for mass production big companies like Capcom, etc. I can only assume the average person would play this for ten minutes and never want to touch it again from anxiety.
---
"Come with me down the road to gain even greater power."
#4Sgt_FoleyPosted 3/25/2013 11:55:37 PM
....but Slender really isn't that scary. :I

Try Amnesia: The Dark Descent, System Shock 2 (and even BioShock to an extent), Silent Hill 2, and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth if you want something that's actually scary.
---
^The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of the poster in question.
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the best cartoon ever.
#5The_SchoolistPosted 3/26/2013 7:49:47 AM
Just because you don't find it scary doesn't speak for the masses.

And I think it may be true that a lot of people may be detered due to how scary it can be. I know a lot of people who refused to play Dead Space because they found it too scary which frustrated me.

I don't think any large companies will adopt any new takes like this. The specific case I can see changing is the Resident Evil franchise adopting games more similar to their old form, after the consumer backlash in regards to RE6. No one will take a risk.
---
Just pretend that there's something clever written here, because, right now, there isn't, and it boggles my mind why you are even reading this.
#6Fake_GustavePosted 3/26/2013 1:51:56 PM
Sgt_Foley posted...
....but Slender really isn't that scary. :I

Try Amnesia: The Dark Descent, System Shock 2 (and even BioShock to an extent), Silent Hill 2, and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth if you want something that's actually scary.

Slender and SCP-087b were both much more nerve-wracking to me than Amnesia ever was. I played through Amnesia, and although it was a little scary, the fact that there were basically zero repercussions for dying, and also very few legitimate jumpscares or monsters period, led to long periods of nothing happening where I became desensitized to being anxious at all. Then when something did happen, it wasn't that scary and if I died, who cares? Amnesia could've been done way better if there were actual drawbacks to dying and way more jumpscares (deadly or atmospheric) spread throughout the game.
---
"Come with me down the road to gain even greater power."
#7Bebo14Posted 3/28/2013 3:20:40 PM
Yah after a while in Amnesia I just started letting my dude die on purpose so I could progress further. Also any game where you have a gun isn't scary. That's just a fact.
---
Add me please so I have a reason to actually log in. PSN: Cubethulhu
#8KysafenPosted 3/30/2013 1:11:18 PM
Bebo14 posted...
Also any game where you have a gun isn't scary. That's just a fact.

^Opinion.
---
Awakening is deep, has a fast and efficient game engine,is fun to play, and actually manages to live up to fan hype, unlike that piece of crap, Seisen no Keifu.
#9Bebo14Posted 3/30/2013 5:51:51 PM
I honestly can't think of any game where you get a gun that's scary. Silent Hill is good up until you get over powered weapons like the Pyramid Knife and some of the later guns. The only good parts of Condemned are when you have to sneak around and melee enemies. Resident Evil, Dead Space and F.E.A.R. are all "scary" games that are not really scary due to your giant arsenal. A monsters just not scary when you can turn it into a pile of giblets with a squeeze of a trigger.

P.S. Does anyone else think that the Slender craze might help Clock Tower to come back?
---
Add me please so I have a reason to actually log in. PSN: Cubethulhu
#10KysafenPosted 3/31/2013 12:13:44 PM(edited)
Bebo14 posted...
Does anyone else think that the Slender craze might help Clock Tower to come back?

That's just as likely as Corpse Party's sales would be to convince Capcom to bring Sweet Home back.

All of which sound totally impossible for "How do I survival horror?" Crapcom (which last I checked, held the rights to both IPs) but I'd easily pay for if they realize what elements made the original games work as beautifully as they did. I really do need to play Clock Tower SNES sometime.
---
Really, I mean it's kind of pathetic how a game on the Famicom ages better than what was originally supposed to be a remake of it.