Plot Analysis (spoilers thread)

#21Slngshot80Posted 4/6/2013 7:17:17 AM
There's also a secret "level" that has to do with with Charlie Matheson Jr., though I don't know if that has anything to do with the plot. I just thought it might be worth mentioning.
---
Funny, she doesn't look Druish.
#22Demonhacker1Posted 4/8/2013 1:47:36 AM
Id like to think that Kate's mentioned woodland adventure was the original eight pages...Also what if kate didnt chicken out, but actually remembered that lauren was coming...and recided into killing her to stop the info of slendy from spreading before ending it herself...

Although slendy proxy makes more sense I guess...
---
Currently playing: League of Legends, Resident Evil Remake, .hack//GU series, Prototype 2, Persona 4, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, Blacklight Retribution
#23Mario_BonesPosted 4/8/2013 2:05:47 AM
The secret level/s is/are whacked, I wonder if
a) They're canon
b) What they mean for the plot
---
Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3! http://i56.tinypic.com/2i67ix.png
I post game stuffs on my blog thingy: http://marioboneyard.blogspot.com.au
#24falcofanboy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 2:13:25 PM
@ChaosGuardian:

Feel free.
#25pikmintaroPosted 4/14/2013 1:06:30 AM
Is there a transcript of the note from Charles that is next to the entrance to the mine (behind the pipes.)? I've tried changing the resolution and everything, but I still can't make out what it says.
---
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
#26falcofanboy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 4:59:44 PM
pikmintaro posted...
One thing I should point out about Slenderman, and Kate is that sometimes Kate teleports, which I doubt she could do if she wasn't his proxy or being influenced by him

There is, however, the question as to whether or not there is Gameplay/Story Segregation taking place here (e.g. I saw an LP in which Slender got caught behind a car while in the walk animation, but he's not canonically moonwalking). Is the teleportation only a mechanic that's supposed to make us uncertain as to where Kate will appear? That's my take on it.

---

Secret Level:

When I initially saw the secret level, my first thought was that it was not canon. Having reread Charles's note, I'm having second thoughts. My new position is that the secret level is tentatively non-canon. I know, so open-minded!

There is a way in which it can be canon without interfering with the rest of my reconstruction, though: Marble Hornets Entry #65. Slendy teleports Tim to... somewhere. It's metaphysical, and Beardy's fresh corpse indicates a temporal disconnect as well, making it safe to say that it's not this dimension. At the same time, Tim's camera captures it, so it's real. Slendy appears to have a extradimensional repository, and the secret level is in it (speculative, but it fits). Charlie Matheson Jr. has been hanging out in there for years ("I'm alone."), and what the player encounters therein is the result. There are strong similarities here (the continuous camera glitching, seemingly random teleportations). This would make the canon of Charles's note unrelated to the canon of the secret level, which almost feels like a waste given the "game" motif, but the metanarrative aspect of it (e.g. "Imagine being trapped in a game where you don't understand the rules" immediately precedes being chased by Kate, and the game never explains the beam-focus trick) is compelling in its own right, so there's no need for the note and the secret level to be connected.

The truly scary thing here is the implication that Charlie reached out and pulled Lauren into this world.

---

pikmintaro, here's the transcript:

I see people everywhere, who remind me of the man I could have become. They understand the rules so well. It's like the rules of the great game of life were never taught to me. Everything I ever worked towards is gone. Everything I loved has been taken away from me. I'm an empty shell of a man, living in this world of constant noise. Failure after failure. No one left to love. No one left to love me back. This world is nothing but noise now! Any I can't understand any of it! I see everyone else wading through the noise like they are part of it, familiar with it. While I struggle and drown as some unwanted outsider. None of it makes sense. And I'm alone in it all. No more job. No more family. I can never rebuild it all. I'm a hopeless excuse for a man. I need to get out. Imagine being trapped in a game where you don't understand the rules, clumsily trying to understand how to make it through. But you can't. You can't progress. I thought I knew the rules, but it was a lie. You see everyone else wizzing by like it's so easy. And no one tells me! No one cares about my game. I'm alone in this forsaken nightmare! Because I don't belong in it! I need to log off, I need to get out of it. I need to rest. I need tranquility. I need to feel like I belong somewhere. I'm not sorry for this because I don't owe this damn world anything, and I can never forgive life. So goodbye, and good luck with your own game.

-Charles M.

---

ChaosDragon, I'm working on a more in-depth response to your post.
#27pikmintaroPosted 4/15/2013 5:09:10 PM
There is, however, the question as to whether or not there is Gameplay/Story Segregation taking place here (e.g. I saw an LP in which Slender got caught behind a car while in the walk animation, but he's not canonically moonwalking). Is the teleportation only a mechanic that's supposed to make us uncertain as to where Kate will appear? That's my take on it.

This is what I thought at first also, but the fact that almost everytime I play the level she always teleports when I shine the light on her after awhile, and sometimes it happens several times during the chase, so I'm not sure.
And thanks for the transcript I still can't read it in the scrapbook, so I had no idea what it said.
---
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
#28falcofanboy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 5:37:35 PM
No problem!

Is your computer at fault for your inability to read the note? I set my game to the lowest resolution so that I could type and see the note without having to repeatedly Alt+Tab, and I still had no problem, but I have a 27" monitor. Did you have trouble with any other notes/need any other transcripts?

---

I'd like to copy over some stuff I wrote in pikmintaro's review post regarding Kate's role, since I think it would fit in this thread:

The two [Kate being crazy and Kate being a Slender Man proxy] are not mutually exclusive; the Slender Man's influence over time leads to people breaking down, and once they're crazy, they become violent (cf. CR, who tried to kill himself and Kate). I'm assuming, then, that mental instability works as a conduit for Its will. Kate, who was already breaking down because of Slendy's stalking ("I haven't slept in a few weeks either", from letter #10; the language indicates that both Kate and CR were breaking down), was pushed over the edge by CR, and she was usable by the Slender Man as a result.

Alternatively, we know that CR believed that knowledge of the Slender Man was what triggered Its stalking you in the first place ("YOU KNOW ABOUT HIM HE KNOWS ABOUT YOU"). If Kate went crazy enough, then her disassociation from her environment could cause her to lose awareness (or whatever part of conscious awareness Slendy exploits) of the tall, pale and faceless hole in reality. If this is true, then in a way, CR succeeded after all.

---

pikmintaro posted...
I don't think Slender man would torment her, and then just stop when she lost her marbles

I personally believe that, as a consequence of having "lost her marbles", Kate has become a conduit for the Slender Man's will (i.e. a proxy), but I also enjoy the ambiguity afforded by the plot, whether she's Slendy's proxy being used to hunt Lauren down or was so traumatized by the attempted murder that she's trying to kill you independently and is invisible to It.

---

The amount of time I spent playing the game (excluding my research for this topic) was about 2 hours. The amount of time I spent putting together this topic (with replies) is about 7, and that number is growing. I'm having trouble putting together a coherent response to ChaosGuardian's post in part because of this burnout (I definitely scratched the write-an-essay itch), and also partially because his placement of the "Flashback" scenario reminded me of the weaknesses of my own placement thereof. This will be a major part of my reply, just as soon as I can get my sick brain working the issue. *stupid flashback harmonization grumble mumble*

---

Does anybody think that, with some rewriting, this topic could be made into a FAQ?