Just finished the game here is what I think (SPOILERS!!!)

#1pikmintaroPosted 4/2/2013 11:28:18 AM
So I downloaded the game on the day it came out (The email for it came pretty late though.) and I didn't get much chance to play it until yesterday, because I was busy with work, and Bioshock Infinite.

Anyways I really enjoyed the game, I was hoping it would be a bit longer, but I guess you could say it's short, but sweet? I'm glad that they stayed close to Slenderman's "original" appearance, what I mean is that they didn't turn him into a naked hulking beast like in "White noise" or give him crab claws or anything like that (I played this one game called "Haunt" where they basically turned him into some ghost with a ton of tentacles, the model looked great, but it just wasn't as creepy.), having him be a tall faceless white man in a suit sticks to his roots, and is the most creepy (to me anyways.)
Also I'm glad they didn't try to explain his origin or give him any silly weaknesses or something like that, when people do that it just ruins it for me, he doesn't need an origin (In the Haunt game he was basically just a ghost of some prisoner or test subject I think, and it ticked me off.)

My Computer is a bit crappy so I had most of the graphics on medium or low, but it still lagged a bit, the game still looked great though so I don't mind that much.

My one complaint is that in the Abyss level you are given no hint whatsoever that you can stun Kate (Whatever the name for her as a proxy is, if she even is a proxy, in the falcofanboy topic it seems like he says she just went nuts after getting burned and ran into the mine, I personally thought she was a proxy especially since Slenderman appears along with her, and I doubt he would let her live so long if he wasn't using her especially since she was apparently in the mine for awhile with him, but it doesn't really matter I guess.) by right clicking, I had no idea (It isn't even mentioned in the key bindings.), and I spent about an hour on that level trying over and over and over while she kept chasing me and killing me, sometimes I would get five generators, but it never really mattered she would still get me in the end anyways, out of desperation I checked online and found that you just needed to right click to activate the high beam, after that it was a cakewalk.

But other than that one small problem I really enjoyed the game, and I hope they make more, it was also a treat to see my name in the credits.
---
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
#2falcofanboyPosted 4/2/2013 2:02:27 PM
pikmintaro posted...
So I downloaded the game on the day it came out (The email for it came pretty late though.) and I didn't get much chance to play it until yesterday, because I was busy with work, and Bioshock Infinite.

Anyways I really enjoyed the game, I was hoping it would be a bit longer, but I guess you could say it's short, but sweet? I'm glad that they stayed close to Slenderman's "original" appearance, what I mean is that they didn't turn him into a naked hulking beast like in "White noise" or give him crab claws or anything like that (I played this one game called "Haunt" where they basically turned him into some ghost with a ton of tentacles, the model looked great, but it just wasn't as creepy.), having him be a tall faceless white man in a suit sticks to his roots, and is the most creepy (to me anyways.)
Also I'm glad they didn't try to explain his origin or give him any silly weaknesses or something like that, when people do that it just ruins it for me, he doesn't need an origin (In the Haunt game he was basically just a ghost of some prisoner or test subject I think, and it ticked me off.)

I agree with your thoughts here. Even in Marble Hornets, the whole "stretched out prisoner ghost" (Entry #38) story rubbed me the wrong way. Since it's never truly canonized, I like to assume that Alex is wrong (or lying).

My Computer is a bit crappy so I had most of the graphics on medium or low, but it still lagged a bit, the game still looked great though so I don't mind that much.

My one complaint is that in the Abyss level you are given no hint whatsoever that you can stun Kate (Whatever the name for her as a proxy is, if she even is a proxy, in the falcofanboy topic it seems like he says she just went nuts after getting burned and ran into the mine, I personally thought she was a proxy especially since Slenderman appears along with her, and I doubt he would let her live so long if he wasn't using her especially since she was apparently in the mine for awhile with him, but it doesn't really matter I guess.)

The two are not mutually exclusive; the Slender Man's influence over time leads to people breaking down, and once they're crazy, they become violent (cf. CR, who tried to kill himself and Kate). I'm assuming, then, that mental instability works as a conduit for Its will. Kate, who was already breaking down because of Slendy's stalking ("I haven't slept in a few weeks either", from letter #10; the language indicates that both Kate and CR were breaking down), was pushed over the edge by CR, and she was usable by the Slender Man as a result.

Alternatively, we know that CR believed that knowledge of the Slender Man was what triggered Its stalking you in the first place ("YOU KNOW ABOUT HIM HE KNOWS ABOUT YOU"). If Kate went crazy enough, then her disassociation from her environment could cause her to lose awareness (or whatever part of conscious awareness Slendy exploits) of the tall, pale and faceless hole in reality. If this is true, then in a way, CR succeeded after all.

by right clicking, I had no idea (It isn't even mentioned in the key bindings.), and I spent about an hour on that level trying over and over and over while she kept chasing me and killing me, sometimes I would get five generators, but it never really mattered she would still get me in the end anyways, out of desperation I checked online and found that you just needed to right click to activate the high beam, after that it was a cakewalk.

But other than that one small problem I really enjoyed the game, and I hope they make more, it was also a treat to see my name in the credits.

Yeah, that's never made clear in-game. The only reason I knew was because I saw it in the trailer.

Anyway, thanks for posting the review (and for the shout-out!).
#3pikmintaro(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 2:56:28 PM
Yeah I had assumed that Kate was nuts, and that Slenderman breaks people down to where he can control him, but I wasn't sure if you were saying that she was just crazy and had nothing to do with Slenderman (besides being bothered by him in the past.).
The first time I played through the game I had no idea what was going on, I read all the notes I could find, and I thought that the proxy was probably Kate, but I'm glad you cleared up the confusions about the story for me.

And I've watched all the Marble Hornets videos (And every other Vlog, and Blog I could find when I got hooked on Slenderman back in 2011.) and I can't remember them saying he was a stretched out prisoner ghost, but let me go watch that one again...
Ok I just watched it, and you are right that is a kind of cheesy origin story for him, I prefer for him to be ageless and eternal (or close to it.) far beyond human comprehension, and not just some buffed up "super ghost" but it is their series and they can do whatever they want with it, it's just annoying to me.

If I had seen the trailer recently I might have figured it out, but I hadn't watched that trailer for several months, so I had completely forgotten them showing off the flashlight high beam in the trailer.
---
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
#4Nickq2007Posted 4/4/2013 3:08:18 AM
There's a lot I like about the game. The visuals and music are great and help create some truly terrifying atmosphere.

But. I don't like the pacing or overall gameplay design. I think they tried too hard to make it difficult in order to add some artificial length to the game.

I died on every level except the prologue and the flashback. Level 3 in particular was a brick wall. I died a few times before having to look up the blinding trick. But even after that I would get killed. Either getting stuck between slender man and the proxy. Or, after getting most or all of the generators, Slender Man would teleport directly in front of me, being an almost guaranteed death.

I made it, after a while. But after so many deaths it stopped being scary and started being annoying. And it's a shame, because it was truly terrifying at first. But pure difficulty does not equate to good horror.

I love the flashback chapter the most. It was no less scary than the preceding chapters but didn't go out of its way to get the player into a Game Over screen.
#5pikmintaro(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2013 10:40:23 AM(edited)
Well honestly for me the only time I died was on chapter three when I didn't know that you could use the high beam on the flashlight, after that the third level was a cakewalk, and the rest of the game was pretty easy, I let myself die to Slender man's tentacles on the last level just to see them, but that's it.

Also this is a quote from the website's game feedback faq.

"The game seems easier than The Eight Pages:
We intentionally designed the game to be easier than The Eight Pages. This is so a broader audience has a better chance at completion especially when we have further levels we want them to be able to progress to. But fear not, we have a 'Hardcore' difficulty mode for the ambitious."

So they weren't really intending it to be difficult.
---