How to get good at ship battles?

#1godtofuPosted 11/12/2013 8:34:51 PM
When I hold Y to zoom in on their weakness, I press RT and nothing happens. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Any general tips?
---
As long as my copy of ESPN 2k5 operates, I will never purchase another football simulation.
#2FalazurePosted 11/12/2013 9:05:08 PM
Y is the swivel gun you hold Y till it locks on then release no need to use RT.
Plus once you get the best swivel upgrade you can hold Y and it rapid fires all the weak spots.
---
"Hope left with the saint, the savage brought salvation."
#3areeb319Posted 11/12/2013 9:05:57 PM
Hold Y and when it locks on, release

That's how you fire

Basic tip is to fight ships your level

You might be trying to fight Frigates and Brings early in the game, while they're not really hard, its better to go after Schooners if you're not good

Don't even go near a Man O War
---
Ezio=Altair>Connor
PSN-Addi97319
#4JackSolomonPosted 11/12/2013 9:09:37 PM(edited)
Just release Y when the reticle is red, RT not required. When you max out the swivel guns, you can just hold Y to hit all the weakpoints automatically.

As far as general tips...

You can sell cargo and upgrade your ship in your Captain's Cabin by going to the model ship.

Don't forget you can use the swivel guns when boarding, and the bullets have drop off.

Heavy Shot is invaluable, get it as soon as possible. Combined with an upgraded ram, you can quickly get in and do massive damage.

When boarding, try to get onto the enemy ship as soon as possible. Once your crew is onboard with you, it gets much more difficult.

Don't forget your fire barrels if a ship charges at you: get out of their way and drop 'em, or turn. They're not as useless as they seem.

In a storm, remember to always mind your surroundings. You'll take more damage from the storm than you ever will from a ship within it.
#5N7Spectre707Posted 11/12/2013 9:11:01 PM
Just hold Y and once it locks on, release.
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed"
-MiKe345675
#6bkwfPosted 11/13/2013 9:58:43 AM
Take a look at this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G6n5r23mqg
#7RubMyDuckyPosted 11/13/2013 6:33:50 PM
Falazure posted...
Plus once you get the best swivel upgrade you can hold Y and it rapid fires all the weak spots.

I didn't know this. Thanks mate.