How do you beat Legendary ships?

#1morethanhappyPosted 12/28/2013 8:57:02 PM
I've got the Jackdaw at almost peak levels, and the most I've gotten them down is to 50%. Anyone have any strategies that work?
---
Insert profound quote here
#2Seifross2010Posted 12/28/2013 9:28:39 PM
Honestly not sure, but I can say that with a half-upgraded Jackdaw (though with the second best hull) I very nearly did the ghost ship (can't remember the name). I think it just comes down to dodging their fire, bracing if it's about to hit, dodging the mortars and firing back constantly. Use heavy shot as well - Fire button without aiming on the broadside cannons, and always hit the weak spots.

But if you're still having trouble, just get the Jackdaw maxed out and try again. They're just like any other ship, but bigger, so far as I can tell.
#3potlinePosted 12/28/2013 9:28:43 PM
Try to get every Jackdaw upgrades first. Depends on which ship are you trying to take down, you will need different strategies. HMS Prince would be your easiest. Wirh this guy, all I did was fight it like any othwr ships. La Dama Negra would probably your next. Do the same? The twins, I had to ram then heavy shot one after another. Also use mortars. Make sure they are both pretty much very low before sinking one of them for one will set itself on fire and ram the living ship out of you. El Impoluto would probably your hardest. That I just got lucky that a very strong wave came which I used for my advantage. I made it chase me and used the wave to hit El Impoluto on the side which sank the ship. Haha! Good luck.
---
PSN: Johnael
#4DetroitDJ(Moderator)Posted 12/28/2013 9:40:22 PM
I could be wrong about this, but when I beat them, my experience was that each of the four ships accentuated a different weapon. One had a mega-powerful ram, one had mega-powerful mortars, one had mega-powerful Heavy Shots, and the other one was two ships which kind of accentuates the regular cannons.

So, different strategy for each ship. For the ram-happy ship ("It's heading straight for us!"), my strategy was to get behind it and chain shot it to hell and back -- took forever, but worked well enough. For the heavy shot one, I just stayed far away and whittled it down with mortars, then tried the same get-behind-it strategy. For the mortar ship, same strategy in reverse: get close to it and don't let it get away. Then, for the twin ships, stay out from between them and focus on taking down one first.

At least, that's what I did. Not sure the names of the ships, but it sounds like from what most people say the Impoluto is the ramming one, the Prince is the mortaring one(?), and La Dama Negra is the heavy shot one.
---
www.DDJGames.com | Latest: Review: Resogun
twitter.com/ddjgames | www.GamingSymmetry.com
#5morethanhappy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2013 10:18:04 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'm just taking my time right now, taking out ships to try and get the metal for all the upgrades. But I'm sure the advice will come in handy pretty soon. Just wondering, can you add any of them to the fleet, or do you just sink them?
---
#6risktakerPosted 12/28/2013 11:31:49 PM
They automatically sink. Be sure to pick up the boxes they drop when they do, because they contain a lot of cash.

I used heavy shot straight at the ships' rears. From what I hear, they may not always make it easy to do that, but they didn't give me much trouble in that regard.
---
I survived a real life escape game!
(http://roomescapeadventures.com/) Chicago, IL
#7kosherPosted 12/31/2013 11:38:57 AM
be prepped to rage on el impoluto....it took me way to many tries to beat him...which zapped all fun out of it....and on top of that...the damn ship literally jumped out of the water and over my boat....it F'N flew over the side of my ship and to the other side....right over my sails....it was the dumbest thing I have seen in this game so far...

la dama negra.....I sat next to him and fired all my mortors, heavy and round shots at him and not once did health fall at all...he kept missing and I kept hitting but nothing would drop...that has got to be a glitch....cause I didn't miss once from that spot....then I got around behind him...hit it with a chain shot in the ass and all of a sudden it hurt it and then freakin raped me a new one and I died

these are pretty lame as they don't move around like actual ships...like all the others in the game....man o wars taking very sharp turns and at blazing speeds and jumping out of the water is not fun to me...

and for some reason my ships steering is so bad during these its sad....I can barely turn even when slowing down all the way...I can run down by MoWs and the wind clearly is set as an advantage for the opps. as the wind was always in favor of them....I literally noticed that when facing the twins the wind would turn with them and be at their back...it would take 180 degree turns for no reason out of no where...lame
---
stfu
~Kosher don't love no hoes~
#8maxxxximumPosted 12/31/2013 12:03:18 PM
The ram guy is the hardest. Even fully upgraded he's a pain. You can chain shot him to stun him, which helps. If you manage to dodge his ram and get parallel to him broadside the hell out of him with heavy cannons for massive damage.

I beat the ghost ship without any elite upgrades. It was a very difficult battle and took many tries but with elite upgrades probably wouldn't be too tough. Dodging his mortars is top priority. Hit him whenever you can, but don't get too close either because he has devastatingly powerful cannons too.

The twins are pretty easy if you're fully upgraded. Pepper them both with mortars. Try to get them both to critical HP before sinking one because once you do the other becomes ridiculous and will completely destroy you if you can't sink him fast.

The other guy is pathetic. You can't damage his sides with cannons, so hit his front and back and use mortars. He didn't even get me to half health and all I did was circle him while firing. I was fully upgraded.
---
Stop your ignorance of Final Fantasy XI's awesome story. See it here.
http://ffxicutscenes.blogspot.com/
#9morethanhappy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2013 12:29:35 PM
kosher posted...
be prepped to rage on el impoluto....it took me way to many tries to beat him...which zapped all fun out of it....and on top of that...the damn ship literally jumped out of the water and over my boat....it F'N flew over the side of my ship and to the other side....right over my sails....it was the dumbest thing I have seen in this game so far...

Cue Dukes of Hazzard theme song. :D
---