The training island....

#1Ninkyo893Posted 8/18/2014 1:51:13 PM
As a fan of Battlefield 3, I really enjoyed the game, but I was by no means an experienced player. However, I always played the objective and stuck to the roles of whichever kit I had chosen, as well as trying to work as a team as much as possible. Unfortunately, I never really became skilled at killing enemy players or using vehicles, properly. (usually avoided them)

I have yet to play BF4, but I've heard about the training area within the game.
Would it be a good resource for learning to handle weapons and vehicles better? Can you set up mock battles, or use a wide variety of weapons, or is it based on what you've unlocked in the game, so far?
---
"There's two types of people in this world. Pinball people and video game people."
PSN: Ninkyodo893
#2Marshall_LawPosted 8/18/2014 1:58:15 PM
It's basically a shooting range with targets and junk, some targets are stationary and some are moving. It's good for getting the range down on your rifles but that's about it, I only played it about 5 minutes so someone else may know more
---
Six up never switch up Love, Life, loyalty, knowledge,wisdom,understanding. PSN kenjamin69
#3Double991Posted 8/18/2014 2:11:32 PM
The Test Range allows you to use every vehicle type and battle pickup. However you are still limited to your unlocks so you can't use ECM Jammer on the Scout Helicopter if you haven't unlocked it yet.

What you see in the Test Range is what you get. You can't play in there with other players and there are no objectives to practice.

With that said, you can practice using all of the vehicles with various control schemes to get a good handle on them. I highly recommend this for all of the air vehicles.

You can also practice your recoil control by shooting at the walls of the building. In the heat of battle, you probably won't have the same degree of control but it is still helpful.

You can try out any of your unlocks there without having to use them in an actual game.
---
PSN : Double991
GameFAQs BF4 Leaderboard: http://bf4stats.com/lb/HfVBr3iEdn
#4Ninkyo893(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 3:57:40 PM
Thank you!
I always wished for something similar in BF3, as I felt that jumping in to the multiplayer matches with no prior experience (apart from the main campaign) was a bit jarring.
---
"There's two types of people in this world. Pinball people and video game people."
#5NuclearHendrixPosted 8/18/2014 10:43:34 PM
I always go into the test range before my first session of the day. It's a good way to warm up, practice flying/driving vehicles and try out weapons you unlocked. Just don't die or redeploy, cause it adds to your death total(dumb).

I use to do the same in Battlefield 1943.
#6Double991Posted 8/19/2014 6:58:23 AM
I think they fixed it. You shouldn't have a death added to your stats for redeploying in the test range.
---
PSN : Double991
GameFAQs BF4 Leaderboard: http://bf4stats.com/lb/HfVBr3iEdn
#7conduitPosted 8/19/2014 10:43:39 AM
in bf3 I just used empty servers to practice with jets and helis. the test range in bf4 does the same thing. still no substitute for match experience though.
---
~we are a part of the process, not instigators of its progress~
#8Ninkyo893(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 12:43:45 PM
conduit posted...
in bf3 I just used empty servers to practice with jets and helis. the test range in bf4 does the same thing. still no substitute for match experience though.

One of my problems was failing to constantly check the mini map for enemy icons. Most matches consisted of me getting shot in the back or running around a corner into oncoming fire.
Probably not something that the training island would fix, but still a nice feature. :-)
---
#9ecureuilPosted 8/20/2014 2:01:09 PM
I like that they added the test range but I mainly use it to set my loadouts up more than anything else. Personally I don't think it's much good for learning vehicles unless you're such a noob you can barely even take off in the helicopter. Anything other than that and you're better off learning on the battlefield, you won't improve much by flying around an empty map and it won't prepare you for 500 stinger missiles either.
#10Scarlet-RavenPosted 8/21/2014 4:55:56 AM
Be awesome if they made the training island a special TDM/ Domination map.
---
PSN: Scarlet-Raven GT: Th3Defiant0ne
If someone killed Czee, you wont find any good leads. There would be 1000 suspects.