Tune Shop Upgrades

#1ZaruenKosaiPosted 12/11/2013 5:20:50 PM
Does it matter how you upgrade the car or in what order you upgrade the parts?

Just curious since there seems to be alot of upgradeable parts,

I am wondering where i should start upgrading once i get the money.Just looking for some tips though on where to start with the upgrades.

Yes I am extremely new to driving simulation/racing games that require skill.
---
You'd best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're in one!
#2MaxCHEATER64Posted 12/11/2013 5:37:26 PM
Yes, yes it does.
Some upgrades effect handling, others effect power, some effect both.

Generally speaking, everything in the "power" section will make your car faster but harder to handle.
Everything in the "suspension" section will give you more options to make your car easier to handle (you have to do the actual tuning yourself).
Everything in the "drivetrain" section will better the "metacar"; that is, things like decrease shifting times or altering the topspeed to accel. ratio.

---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#3NarcelesPosted 12/11/2013 5:38:45 PM
Tires are a good place to start. I like to get a race suspension for the track (soft for bumpy and uneven, hard for flat). The ECU or exhaust are good for adding some power without overdoing it.

There's not really a correct order though, and you can undo anything that you do. Of course, first you should see if the car even needs upgrades.
---
"Narceles, don't try to argue or reason with hippies and commies." -menalaos1971
Lazarus threw the party. Lazarus threw the fight.
#4ionenwksPosted 12/11/2013 5:42:03 PM
I'm no expert either, but depends on what you want to do... considering PP limitations power is often not a good place to start (you'll just end up with a car you need to put a power limiter on). Would notably leave stuff like turbo for last given they don't only have advantages, just get all the cheap exhaust, computer, etc.. upgrades if you want a small power boost, then engine upgrades. Nitro is fun if the car allows it (doesn't increase PP) but it's expensive (can be cheaper to buy a brand new car for the job).

Do get the best tires an event allow you to use (Racing: Soft would be best, but there's rarely a chance to use them in GT6.. by the time the game lets you, they enable tire degradation and they become useless rather fast -- so don't waste credits on them).

Personally I always get custom suspension+lsd but that's because I like customizing how the car handles, but if you don't know how.. probably won't help much. Usually hard suspension should do fine.. try soft on bumpier tracks.

And can't go wrong with any weight reduction options.. other small upgrades like carbon shaft, triple flywheel, etc.. seem to help too, get if you have the credits.

In custom parts shop, "some" cars allow for aero kits too, usually a good idea to get them.. especially if made the car more powerful.. will make it easier to control.

If want more details (notably for suspension/alignment/lsd/etc.. settings), check the tuning FAQs of GT4 and GT5, as far as I can tell, the tuning guides are still mostly relevant for use in GT6.
#5MaxCHEATER64Posted 12/11/2013 5:43:16 PM
Big hint: the turbos override each other, as do the exhausts. Buy one, can't use the others.
"Engine Tuning" (the one in three stages) can't be undone iirc.

---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#6NarcelesPosted 12/11/2013 5:44:45 PM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Big hint: the turbos override each other, as do the exhausts. Buy one, can't use the others.
"Engine Tuning" (the one in three stages) can't be undone iirc.

It couldn't in GT5, but it can in this one.
---
"Narceles, don't try to argue or reason with hippies and commies." -menalaos1971
Lazarus threw the party. Lazarus threw the fight.
#7ZaruenKosai(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 5:51:34 PM
ionenwks posted...
I'm no expert either, but depends on what you want to do... considering PP limitations power is often not a good place to start (you'll just end up with a car you need to put a power limiter on). Would notably leave stuff like turbo for last given they don't only have advantages, just get all the cheap exhaust, computer, etc.. upgrades if you want a small power boost, then engine upgrades. Nitro is fun if the car allows it (doesn't increase PP) but it's expensive (can be cheaper to buy a brand new car for the job).

Do get the best tires an event allow you to use (Racing: Soft would be best, but there's rarely a chance to use them in GT6.. by the time the game lets you, they enable tire degradation and they become useless rather fast -- so don't waste credits on them).

Personally I always get custom suspension+lsd but that's because I like customizing how the car handles, but if you don't know how.. probably won't help much. Usually hard suspension should do fine.. try soft on bumpier tracks.

And can't go wrong with any weight reduction options.. other small upgrades like carbon shaft, triple flywheel, etc.. seem to help too, get if you have the credits.

In custom parts shop, "some" cars allow for aero kits too, usually a good idea to get them.. especially if made the car more powerful.. will make it easier to control.

If want more details (notably for suspension/alignment/lsd/etc.. settings), check the tuning FAQs of GT4 and GT5, as far as I can tell, the tuning guides are still mostly relevant for use in GT6.

Great Info! Thank You Very Much!
---
You'd best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're in one!
#8ionenwksPosted 12/11/2013 6:14:34 PM(edited)
Oh yeah forgot to mention transmission, custom is very handy and with the top speed option it's easy to change even if you don't know what you're doing (like me).

Basic idea is to just lower the top speed on more technical tracks for better acceleration, and put it higher if it's mostly straights (not too high though, car's power needs to be enough and the straights also long enough).

Although it's a bit costly.

Edit: but all things put together, it's often good enough to just get the right tires and buy new cars as needed (all those options easily make the cars no longer feel like what it should be).. unless you want that one car to be the best around (personally I keep messing around with my pink pickup truck, like having something that's not supposed to be good win races)
#9pez2k_Posted 12/11/2013 6:45:50 PM
ionenwks posted...
... considering PP limitations power is often not a good place to start (you'll just end up with a car you need to put a power limiter on).

Actually, adding a restrictor is a really good thing if your car has quite a peaky powerband. It works realistically, so instead of scaling down your entire power curve, it just caps it off at your set limit.

For a practical example, the LCC Rocket. It makes 165hp at something like 11500rpm, and 12 kgm of torque. However, add a turbo and upgraded exhaust to take it to 225hp and 15 kgm, then restrict it back down to the stock PP. You now have 165hp across the whole wide range from 8500 to 12000rpm, and still 15 kgm of torque. Peak power remains the same, but the area under the curve is increased massively.

Restrict things enough and you get stupendous tractability - I have a Corvette ZR1 LM with around 600hp from 3600 to 8000rpm, and 850ft-lb of torque.
---
Fixing Turn10's omissions since 2007, and Playground Games' since 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/user/pez2k
#10ionenwksPosted 12/11/2013 7:06:43 PM
^ interesting, thanks for the info, I'll experiment a bit with it myself then

I was often just going with a car roughly around what was needed rather than power limit a better one