Anyone played it yet?

#1SyrinPosted 8/20/2013 5:35:35 PM
It's for sale as an alpha product on Steam. Was hoping to get some early impressions.
---
Shouldn't spending be adjusted for tax revenue, not the other way around?
-Clutch
#2MarceloSampaioPosted 8/20/2013 5:57:57 PM
I did. Here's what I could gather:

-Its grid based. For me, thats a good thing, but some people hate this;

-You can't select all classes yet in this alpha. In fact, only one class per race;

-The game is, at the moment, quite resource-heavy. While my PC can run Skyrim at 60 FPS, I'm getting as low as 20 in MMX;

-Combat is great. While it feels similar to MM3 to MM5, they added a nifty skill bar where you can equip magic and skills, and easily select them with the numeric keys. While this is not really necessary, I feel that its a VERY welcome addition;

-Still on combat, while its turn-based, it feels very fast, just like the older MMs. After playing for a couple of hours, I feel that the enemies are dying too quickly, but this may be because its the start of the game. The game has a high challenge, much like the older MMs, though;

-Day and night cycle seems broken. It does get dark too fast, and night goes by too fast;

-Even though its an alpha version, I haven't seen any weird glitch or bug. The game is actually working great (albeit not smooth, as I said before). It has things missing, but the core of the game is working. Skills are working, stats are too, etc;

-Enemy animations are amazing! Some of the best I've seen;

This is what I could remember. But if you wanna ask something more specific, feel free to do so. I'll keep playing for a few more hours, so any questions you may have, I'll try to answer. ;)
---
:3
If you accept Gaben as your true lard and savior, put this on your sig. :)
#3GreenWildBeastPosted 8/21/2013 12:52:56 AM
I'v only played M&M VII so far but I enjoyed it a lot. From what a friend told after that the series was just not that great so I didn't care for the later titles.

Is the gameplay close to MM7?

Also, how is 7 considered by the MM community? I liked it but I might like other titles even more!
#4quanticdreamPosted 8/21/2013 1:48:49 AM(edited)
Every fan you ask will answer differently. Though I think most will call 7 best. For me though it's 8>7>6>>>>9.

As for this one... I really hate how buggy it is yet. Will see how it goes, but right now its somewhat unplayable for me.
#5MarceloSampaioPosted 8/21/2013 3:08:15 AM
My favorite in the series is World of Xeen (which is actually MM4 and MM5 installed together).

FF10 is more similar to MM3-MM5. MM6 onwards are real time, while MM10 is grid-based. :)

quanticdream posted...
Every fan you ask will answer differently. Though I think most will call 7 best. For me though it's 8>7>6>>>>9.

Er, so you like MM8 the best? The game is great and all, but its rare finding someone who likes 8 the best. :p

quanticdream posted...
As for this one... I really hate how buggy it is yet. Will see how it goes, but right now its somewhat unplayable for me.

The game wasn't released yet, its in the early access stage. Think of it as an Alpha version, so its not really enjoyable yet. :p

I'm playing mostly so I can point issues and bugs though, but the game IS quite unstable (and has a horrible framerate! :p).
---
:3
If you accept Gaben as your true lard and savior, put this on your sig. :)
#6FerennPosted 8/21/2013 8:14:39 AM
Well it doesn't run very well, but that's expected because it's early access. The combat is really snappy and satisfying. The difficulty level is nice and they certainly didn't dumb it down at all, something I'm very happy over. Map and monster design is pretty good and the dungeons look great... basically if you liked the good M&M games you'll like this one!
#7quanticdreamPosted 8/21/2013 11:28:17 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
Er, so you like MM8 the best? The game is great and all, but its rare finding someone who likes 8 the best. :p

Yeah, I know most people won't agree (and even call 8 worst), but I just can't help it. =) 7 isn't far behind, but 8 has just some special place in my heart. I just MUST install and play it again at least once every year or two. Can't live without it. It is, no doubt, in my top-5 games ever made.

The game wasn't released yet, its in the early access stage. Think of it as an Alpha version, so its not really enjoyable yet. :p

Well, that's why I said it's buggy and unplayable yet =)
I still have some hopes for it, and I'm at very least happy they remembered this title exists)
#8Syrin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 9:06:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. Even the few answers I've read thus far tells me this is a must buy for me when they have it pas the beta stage and ready for wide release.
---
Shouldn't spending be adjusted for tax revenue, not the other way around?
-Clutch
#9Bullshifty12Posted 8/24/2013 10:26:47 PM
Syrin posted...
It's for sale as an alpha product on Steam. Was hoping to get some early impressions.

I have. It's okay...but, honestly, Legend of Grimrock seemed a bit better in my opinion. Then again, not every option is available yet.
#10lostnPosted 8/25/2013 11:42:41 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
My favorite in the series is World of Xeen (which is actually MM4 and MM5 installed together).

FF10 is more similar to MM3-MM5. MM6 onwards are real time, while MM10 is grid-based. :)

quanticdream posted...

quanticdream posted...

I'm playing mostly so I can point issues and bugs though, but the game IS quite unstable (and has a horrible framerate! :p).

I'm with you. MM3-5 are among the best games I've ever played, so if MM10 is a throwback to 3-5, I'm all over this. My gripe is that it's on 4 in a party and not 6, and also I've never been a huge fan of Ubisoft's reimagining of the franchise. I liked the old units better, yes including the sci-fi stuff from MM5. I don't like the looks of sylvan and academy based units.

The grid turn based gameplay is exactly what I want, and what I missed most from MM6-9. I just don't know if it will sit well with today's generation of gamers. I don't think they will like it. They are too young to have seen anything like this, and will find it clunky and archaic, just like turn based gameplay in general. Their attention spans are too short. They want to kill things fast and in real time.
More topics from this board...
Advices neededPunkaiser228/18 7:03PM