just a few things that I dislike about the early access

#1solidbones2003Posted 8/21/2013 11:30:31 AM
why did they decide to make it grid based?
I started playing MM since 6, the mandate of heaven, and played, finished and loved 6, 7, and 8.
I never tried 1-5, but as someone used to 6, 7, 8, walking around one step at a time just feels too clumsy. it felt alright in grimrock, for some reason, but when playing in large, open spaces, I feel like they could have gotten rid of the whole grid based thing

also, while I'm obviously not very far into the game, the way the narrator speaks makes me feel that the characters I'm playing are destined to become 'the good guys'. personally I like western RPGs more when they give me the freedom of choice, allowing me to join the bad guys instead. but I don't know if that's possible in MMX, so far it feels like I don't have that option.

another thing I don't like is how I can't immediately start killing all the villagers I come across. yes I know that's not how the previous MM games were designed to let you play. but they gave you the option to do so
#2lostnPosted 8/25/2013 11:36:10 AM
The grid does look very old school. But it was a decision made because they wanted the game to be truly turn based. If you have smooth movement instead of grid based movement, it's hard to determine how much movement counts as one turn. MM6-9 were only quasi-turn based.

This game is niche and was made with a specific audience in mind (old school fans of M&M). I do not think the game will sell well or review well, but those old school fans buying it for nostalgic value will be rewarded here. The game looking very low budget more or less confirms this. They didn't make the game in a way to maximise sales. So it's not going to threaten Skyrim any time soon.

It's certainly not for everyone.
#3solidbones2003(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 12:00:16 PM
yeah they were probably going for the MM345 feel instead of MM678. Can't say I'm disappointed, it's just that I was expecting something different. Will still buy and finish this game though I feel that you're right about the mass appeal and sales. I don't think many people will be interested in this. Kinda wish this was an AAA title though, it really has been awhile since a good MM game.
#4MarceloSampaioPosted 8/26/2013 5:06:38 AM
solidbones2003 posted...
another thing I don't like is how I can't immediately start killing all the villagers I come across. yes I know that's not how the previous MM games were designed to let you play. but they gave you the option to do so

Only MM6 onward allowed you to kill the villagers.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mAjXr0l.jpg
Evolution of the dungeons in the Elder Scrolls game (from Daggerfall onwards)... ES 6 dungeons will be strait lines, I guess...
#5Hi CPosted 8/26/2013 3:30:04 PM
It's a shamed the official forums and devs are getting trolled hard by idiots whining about grid movement.

"Grid based movement is archaic and out of date and obsolete because the prewolfenstein era 3d effects from 1989 they used in 6/7/8 is so cutting edge".
---
You'll be my John G.
#6lostnPosted 8/29/2013 7:57:45 AM
It is true that grid based movement is outdated. It hasn't been done in a long time. But they made it with a specific audience in mind, so they aren't going for mass market appeal. That is why they aren't spending a lot of money on it. They know it's not going to do Skyrim sales.

This one is service to the fans. And I'm A-OK with that. MM3-5 are some of the best RPGs I've played. So if they are trying to recreate that, I'll give them my money.

My hang up is that they're using Ubisoft's M&M world instead of NWC's. They've reimagined what a lot of units look like, removed a lot of old ones, created new ones, and I don't like the designs for most of these.
#7NucleartacsPosted 9/13/2013 7:18:25 AM
I just don't like how slow the grid movements are, there is a noticeable delay before you can move again. I also don't like not being able to repair and identify my items on the fly.
---
Get in the van, I am candy. - ZANG_BA