Deadwalkers & Mind Maze Decklists

#1Fire_WraithPosted 6/7/2013 1:06:40 PM
Deadwalkers (Black)
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29959095/Magic_2014_Deadwalkers_Decklist_and_Strategies

Mind Maze (Blue)
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29959105/Magic_2014_Mind_Maze_Decklist_and_Strategies
#2nuke2099Posted 6/7/2013 1:55:35 PM
Basically Wizards was lazy this year and mainly copied 2012 :P Although I never played the zombie deck in 2012 so I guess it really is a new deck for me.
---
GT: Nuke2099
#3abyssPosted 6/7/2013 3:43:42 PM
Well, I'm pretty happy with Black. It's still got a bit too much removal, but making it Zombies was certainly a nice way to make it more interesting than the usual Mono Black deck, and it's got some big, fun cards. It's definitely looking top tier at this stage.

Blue is Illusions. Boo. Why are they so against making a proper counter deck? But like Illusions in 2012, it'll probably be a pretty good deck.
#4TheBeastWithinPosted 6/7/2013 5:55:10 PM
abyss posted...
Well, I'm pretty happy with Black. It's still got a bit too much removal, but making it Zombies was certainly a nice way to make it more interesting than the usual Mono Black deck, and it's got some big, fun cards. It's definitely looking top tier at this stage.

Blue is Illusions. Boo. Why are they so against making a proper counter deck? But like Illusions in 2012, it'll probably be a pretty good deck.

Because their goal is to make the game fun and a proper counter deck is not fun whatsoever for the person playing against it.
---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
#5nuke2099Posted 6/7/2013 6:07:35 PM
TheBeastWithin posted...
abyss posted...

Because their goal is to make the game fun and a proper counter deck is not fun whatsoever for the person playing against it.

Correction: New players don't like facing them and they often suck in using them.
---
GT: Nuke2099
#6TheBeastWithinPosted 6/7/2013 6:22:56 PM
nuke2099 posted...
TheBeastWithin posted...
abyss posted...

Correction: New players don't like facing them and they often suck in using them.

And who are DotP games designed for? Yeah, that's right, generally new and/or inexperienced players. And even for an experienced player, it isn't fun to face these kinds of decks (well, assuming the person knows what they are doing) because...you know...you might actually want to play the game. Also, as you have demonstrated, users of such decks tend to be elitist asses who aren't fun to play with either.
---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
#7Mewtwo_soulPosted 6/7/2013 6:34:58 PM
TheBeastWithin posted...
nuke2099 posted...
TheBeastWithin posted...
abyss posted...

And who are DotP games designed for? Yeah, that's right, generally new and/or inexperienced players. And even for an experienced player, it isn't fun to face these kinds of decks (well, assuming the person knows what they are doing) because...you know...you might actually want to play the game. Also, as you have demonstrated, users of such decks tend to be elitist asses who aren't fun to play with either.

Nice way to make a generalization, what are we still in third grade?

Fun is subjective to add onto todays lesson:

And new players sometimes have to learn to experience new things if they wish to improve: removing any such deck because new players may not like them halts anyone who is new who may enjoy them and or allow them to see how they are played. (Hence being new.)
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#8abyssPosted 6/7/2013 8:11:36 PM
See, the problem with the 'Counters isn't fun' thing is......People hate mill. People hate rush. People hate combo. I sure as hell hate decks having huge amounts of removal.

Yet these are all things that have been used in DOTP. Why haven't we seen a Blue deck that plays a decent amount of counters since the original? I don't want to see a deck that plays 20 counters or something, but it would be nice to be able to play a deck where counters are an actual part of your strategy, rather then a couple of cards that you have to hope to draw.

That, and over the entire history of Magic, have they truly never managed to have a 'fun' counter deck?
#9Sephin_X_12Posted 6/7/2013 9:14:12 PM
First of all, HECK YES ZOMBIES!!

Second of all, that's cool they made a BETTER illusion deck.

Thirdly, I would also like to see a counter-themed deck. Would be nice. Jus as long as they had a some sort of green deck that had plenty of creatures/spells with "can't be countered". They could actually make a green/blue counter/can't be countered deck. I don't know about the rest of you, but if you play paper-magic, heck, even in the past few games there has been some, pretty fair/balanced counter spells (though more costly than counterspell and/or cancel). But yeah, they do have the flash creatures that counter spells, and even spells that when they counter something, it makes a creature. --and I know green has a few (maybe more) creatures that can't be countered. I'll admit I don't know of any other of the colors that do that. But yeah, the blue aspect of the deck would focus around counter spells, while the green side would focus around the creatures who couldn't be countered.
---
GT: Nobody Worthy
Current Games: Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2, Defiance, and Magic 2013.
#10Sephin_X_12Posted 6/7/2013 9:19:28 PM
Also, you see what I did there?

I came up with an idea that works for both sides of you.

For the people that "don't like counter-spells" and for those of you that do... just make a deck that is legit. One that isn't OP'd and runs only 4 counter spells, and 4 cancels, and heck, maybe even 4 mana leaks. (one of each would seem reasonable, maybe two mana leaks as those are a bit more fair than the other two). The only slight problem I see with the deck is mirror match ups where the "cant be countered" creatures would be the only playable things. But oh well. Just gotta work around it, I guess.
---
GT: Nobody Worthy
Current Games: Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2, Defiance, and Magic 2013.