I don't get it. How does Sealed Mode work?

#1StoutGamerPosted 6/16/2013 3:04:17 PM
Hi. I read the Wikipedia article on Sealed Deck, but I don't quite get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_formats#Sealed_Deck

Is it supposed to work like the original MtG (Shandalar), where you Ante a random card, win cards from your opponent, and build your own deck?
#2ZanimusPosted 6/16/2013 3:31:19 PM
You are given 6 booster packs (14 cards each to my knowledge) with which to make a deck of 40 cards minimum. Not sure if there is going to be a limit to how many cards you can add, but I doubt it. You can use this deck to play through a Sealed Campaign which will unlock 3 additional booster packs (you now have 126 cards total to work with) to use in your deck.

There is no ante'ing of cards.

I'm pretty sure all of this information is correct, though I may be wrong on a few details like the number of cards.
---
Gamertag : Zanimus
#3CanadaGuy6Posted 6/16/2013 10:36:05 PM
Pretty much what he said. Each booster pack contains 14 semi-random cards out of a total pool of 151 cards, with 61 common cards, 51 uncommon cards, 29 rare cards, and 10 mythic rare cards. Each booster pack will contain 10 common cards, 3 uncommon cards, and 1 rare or (if you're lucky) mythic rare card. There might be an upper limit to how many cards you can put in a deck (otherwise you would have a max of 84 with your initial pool and 126 with the three additional packs you unlock along the way, not including lands), but you probably want to keep close to the 40-card minimum anyway, for consistency reasons. Usually, you want to go with a 23-17 split of spells and lands. There are a bunch of other tips to help you pick your actual cards, some of which I will include in my guide once it's up (I'll try to do the Sealed Campaign first and then put up a preliminary version). You can do up to 2 different Sealed Campaigns from the get-go, and Wizards has said that they will allow players to purchase up to 18 extra campaigns for $2 a pop, so you can make a max of 20 different sealed decks.
#4Neverwinter27Posted 6/18/2013 12:55:13 PM
2015 will make people buy booster packs for 2 dollars a pop
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJTdNA-Btig
#5CanadaGuy6Posted 6/19/2013 10:46:44 AM
Neverwinter27 posted...
2015 will make people buy booster packs for 2 dollars a pop

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? I'd rather spend money on practicing deck-building skills with a whole new pool of cards (like they're doing this year), not just buy more to make my existing deck better. I suppose, though, they want to cater to people who have been calling for true-to-life deck-building like Magic Online has, but I still think it's a rip-off. I dunno. Maybe I'm just biased since I only ever play Limited Formats now.
#6EinhandrPosted 6/19/2013 5:45:37 PM
I just want to add a point of clarification to a detail that might have some people, or newcomers, confused:

Each save slot does not limit you to one saved deck technically, but rather it should be thought of as each save slot saves your booster pulls / pool of cards. You're able to re-tune your deck as much as you want in each save file, but you'll only ever have access to the cards you pulled from the boosters initially. If you'd like try again and get a chance at a new pool of cards, you will have to use your other save slot(s).
---
http://www.alchemedium.com - currently developing "A Tofu Tail" for OUYA / PC / Mac / Linux
#7xraveneffectxPosted 6/19/2013 6:37:09 PM
17 lands seems a bit high for a 40 card deck. I would play more like 13.
---
Rated Unblockable
"Quoth the Raven, Nevermore" GT: Raven Pro
#8megamaster125Posted 6/19/2013 7:30:51 PM
xraveneffectx posted...

13 is insanely low. Draft/Sealed experts say 16-18 lands for a 40 card deck. Depending on the curve, you might get away with 15. From personal experience, I'll be playing 17 on average, maybe 16.
---
There are no contradictions in the Bible.
http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/
#9Sephin_X_12Posted 6/19/2013 8:56:23 PM
megamaster125 posted...
xraveneffectx posted...

13 is insanely low. Draft/Sealed experts say 16-18 lands for a 40 card deck. Depending on the curve, you might get away with 15. From personal experience, I'll be playing 17 on average, maybe 16.

Agreed. But I aim more towards 16 in a 40 card one. 22 (sometimes 20) in a 60.
---
GT: Nobody Worthy
Current Games: Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2, Defiance, and Magic 2013.
#10God_of_MagicPosted 6/24/2013 9:30:46 AM
xraveneffectx posted...

^ One of the most common mistakes in Magic. Not playing enough lands. 13 is guaranteed to mana screw you every time, unless your curve is like 0.8. Normally, 17 is the most common for limited and 23 for constructed with + or - based on your curve and needs.
---
Stress: Not strangling the life out of someone when they desperately need it.