A few newbie questions

#1hsiehsonPosted 3/4/2014 6:49:19 PM
Hi all,

I am just start playing this game and here is some questions that are bugging me, hope any of you can help me out here.

1. How is the Strength/Power of a unit affect the damage deal upon enemies? Say, an item that boost 10 Strength/Power, is better (or worse) than an item boost +50 weapon damage?

2. Should Defend from an ally (without a shield) be better (or worse) than Self defend with a shield?

Many thanks!
---
It's Game that makes TV much more interesting.
#2DavzzPosted 3/4/2014 7:58:05 PM
hsiehson posted...
1. How is the Strength/Power of a unit affect the damage deal upon enemies? Say, an item that boost 10 Strength/Power, is better (or worse) than an item boost +50 weapon damage?

No idea. I want to say the former, but mostly because a lot of the weapon damage boosting items have side effects that are too disadvantageous

2. Should Defend from an ally (without a shield) be better (or worse) than Self defend with a shield?

It really depends on who's involved. Assuming that both parties with equal stats, the latter should reduce more damage. On the other hand, using Support Defend allows you to spend your action counterattacking instead.
---
http://ontlogy.wordpress.com/
"Have withstood pain to read many words."
#3hsiehson(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2014 7:35:50 PM
Thanks for the reply! Didn't expect a reply so soon as this board seemed not very active.

I agree with you on both points. but regard to Q1, how the states of a unit work on damage output is beyond my understanding. -"-
---
It's Game that makes TV much more interesting.
#4DavzzPosted 3/5/2014 8:24:21 PM
hsiehson posted...
Thanks for the reply! Didn't expect a reply so soon as this board seemed not very active.

I have a lot of the less popular SRW games bookmarked in case anyone ever decided to play them and post.

I agree with you on both points. but regard to Q1, how the states of a unit work on damage output is beyond my understanding. -"-

Mathematically speaking, even if you don't know the formula, the numbers favor increasing attack I think.

Later in the game, attacks, especially finishers range from like 5000-8000 base damage. +50 is a really small amount to add to that.

On the other hand, attack stat usually goes from like 200-300. +50 (the biggest attack stat boost I've seen so far) is still a pretty good chunk of that, but a more reasonable +10/20 attack stat is still more significant percentage wise compared to adding to base damage.
---
http://ontlogy.wordpress.com/
"Have withstood pain to read many words."