Anyone else think that going second is OP?

#1soggytoast11Posted 3/6/2014 4:26:59 PM(edited)
The fact that you get an extra card AND The Coin is just such a massive advantage.

The Coin basically negates any tempo disadvantage of the opponent going first. It also counts as a spell so it interacts with your other cards. And you can use it on any turn that you want the boost, so it gives you a wealth of options for playing out the game that your opponent doesn't have.

And starting the game with four cards instead of three means that you have more control over your starting hand

Maybe the game would be slightly more fair if you got to choose between The Coin or drawing an extra card for going second. Having both just seems like a win all the way around with the player going first at a strict disadvantage.

At the very least The Coin should not count as a spell.
#2RyuuHou25Posted 3/6/2014 4:25:15 PM
I do think they should do away with it counting as a spell, that just gives people far too much of an advantage there.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#3xtacbPosted 3/6/2014 4:25:50 PM
the coin shouldnt count as a spell

it comboes with too many stuff also
---
Do you really wanna live in a world without Coca-Cola?
#4taketheshoeoffPosted 3/6/2014 4:27:01 PM
people that go first win little over 50% of the time

so if anything going second needs a tiny bff
---
[This message was deleted at the request of a schizoid or closet case]
#5soggytoast11(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2014 4:27:51 PM
xtacb posted...
the coin shouldnt count as a spell

it comboes with too many stuff also

hah you guys beat me to it.
#6Saga3Posted 3/6/2014 4:32:09 PM
taketheshoeoff posted...
people that go first win little over 50% of the time

so if anything going second needs a tiny bff

The difference is minuscule.
#7JustAPoorBoyPosted 3/6/2014 4:41:48 PM
Coin counting as a spell and comboing can lead to quite few absurd starting turns (ohai 3/3 mana wyrm + mirror image....), but that's the only issue I have with it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/LrHhcm2.jpg
#8jole6113Posted 3/6/2014 7:21:34 PM
Coin is a massive advantage, but it's there to counteract the massive advantage you get from going first. So overall I'd say it's fairly balanced.

I think it shouldn't count as a spell/card, though. Maybe just a coin next to your mana pool that glows blue or something, that way you will hopefully remember you have it, but it won't combo with other cards or fill up your hand. Although I WILL mourn for Cho and the coin shenanigans that can go on with him.
#9soggytoast11(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2014 8:45:44 PM
jole6113 posted...
Coin is a massive advantage, but it's there to counteract the massive advantage you get from going first. So overall I'd say it's fairly balanced.

Yes, I understand the advantage of going first. And I think The Coin is an interesting idea to try to balance out the game.

But also I think having The Coin AND an extra card is overkill. Everything about going second seems to be better than going first. You get a better starting hand with more chances to ditch cards you don't want. And you get bailed out if you drew awkwardly costed cards to smooth out your gameplan.

What does the first player get? First crack at putting a Mana Wurm into play if he was lucky enough to draw one? His decisions are so much more limited than the second player's because he doesn't have The Coin and is down a card. He's basically at the mercy of his deck and has to hope that the cards he draws work out for him.
#10UnrivaledKoopaPosted 3/6/2014 9:45:00 PM
soggytoast11 posted...
jole6113 posted...

Yes, I understand the advantage of going first. And I think The Coin is an interesting idea to try to balance out the game.

But also I think having The Coin AND an extra card is overkill. Everything about going second seems to be better than going first. You get a better starting hand with more chances to ditch cards you don't want. And you get bailed out if you drew awkwardly costed cards to smooth out your gameplan.

What does the first player get? First crack at putting a Mana Wurm into play if he was lucky enough to draw one? His decisions are so much more limited than the second player's because he doesn't have The Coin and is down a card. He's basically at the mercy of his deck and has to hope that the cards he draws work out for him.

First player plays with one mana more than second player did on the previous turn, and the same amount of mana as second player's following turn. You have 5 mana to deal with his 4 mana play, while he has 5 mana to deal with your 5 mana play, and you have 6 mana to deal with his 5 mana play.

The coin negates that advantage for one turn, but allows second player to pick which turn. First player basically has coin for the other first 9 turns, except it doesn't count as a card/spell for combo purposes. Ultimately, the advantage of going first is quieter, but more significant, leading to its slight win advantage.
---
I never wanted to be a serial killer, anyway.
I wanted to be... a LUMBERJACK! - Dexter Morgan