My Batman: Arkham Origins theory

#1caboose84Posted 10/17/2013 11:50:32 AM
I'd just like to get my opinions out there about the game and I've never seen anyone else post this theory, so feel free to tell me I'm an idiot or whatever afterwards.

But WB Montreal is making Origins a sequel to take you back to Year 2 of Batman's career to show you how he used to be as a character when he was younger and less experienced, how he got to where he is as a character in Asylum, as well as all of the other characters and even Gotham itself. And while I don't doubt that, I can't help but feel like it's also just to have an excuse to bring The Joker back. Black Mask may be the main baddy of this game, but so was Strange in City, and if you played it, you'll probably remember Joker sort of stealing the show. I just feel like the same will happen here.

Now this is also a time when most of the police force is corrupted, Commissioner Gordon isn't even the commissioner yet, and Barbara Gordon is still a teenager I believe, and she's just starting to look up to Batman's way of fighting crime. I remember Eric Holmes vaguely kind of confirming Batgirl was going to be in this game, and Barbara herself has already been shown in footage. You'll also remember she's already Oracle in Asylum and City.

This is also the first time Batman meets The Joker. He's obviously not one of the 8 assassins, but I also don't believe he's just part of the side quests like Anarky or Mad Hatter are. There's no way the collector's edition would come with a statue of him, there's no way he'd be getting this much coverage in trailers, and there's no way Troy Baker would be getting this much press for voicing him if that were the case. He's already got more of the spotlight for voicing The Joker, than Roger Craig Smith does for voicing Batman, the main character. If you recall, Troy also recently read The Joker's monologue from The Killing Joke at ComiCon, and I don't believe it was just a coincidence.

Here's my theory. I think that something big needs to happen with The Joker in this game to sort of cement his and Batman's twisted relationship, and to bring them to where they are in Asylum. Now I don't remember what year of Batman's career The Killing Joke happened, so I could be entirely wrong, but the Arkhamverse doesn't necessarily follow the comic timeline, it's its own universe with its own canon. So I think that they could reenact their own version of The Killing Joke story where Joker paralyzes Barbara. Unless WB Montreal decides to keep making sequels to this prequel storyline, I think it's possible that's what's going to happen in Arkham Origins.

Please, discuss your opinions. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. I also just posted this over at ComicVine.

TL;DR - I think The Killing Joke story is going to happen in Arkham Origins because reasons.
---
GT:UrNeighborJimmy
Karma Keepers
#2ajerk1564Posted 10/17/2013 12:23:02 PM
I think it'd be a great idea for joker to do this only if robin was already in game. Batgirl before robin though doesn't sound right. But I can see this happening in sequels to origins because they have quite a large gap between this and asylum.
---
to be evil is to live
#3caboose84(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 12:32:04 PM
ajerk1564 posted...
I think it'd be a great idea for joker to do this only if robin was already in game. Batgirl before robin though doesn't sound right. But I can see this happening in sequels to origins because they have quite a large gap between this and asylum.

I feel ya, I'm just not sure I want them to keep making more prequel sequels, ya know? I fear that would lead into yearly releases and this series does not need that.
---
Karma Keepers
#4Tbar67Posted 10/17/2013 2:19:51 PM
This game all happens in one night, so it wouldn't make much sense for Barbara to get paralyzed, when she isn't even batgirl yet when we start the game. Why would they have her either just not be batgirl, or just have her be batgirl for half of a night? It just doesn't make much sense. I am glad to see Arkham's take on Joker and Batman's first meeting though. It's funny how initially people tend to underestimate him and think that he's just a crazy guy, dressed up as a clown, and then find out later on just how much of a threat that he can be later on.

Judging by the Trophies/Achievements, it seems that Batman will assume that he's just a small time petty criminal at best when they first meet. Not even realizing how he'll end up being one of the worst criminals in Gotham history. It's like in the Dark Knight movie, where both, the mob and Batman and GCPD were ignoring him at first and then he becomes the main threat by the end. I won't be surprised if this becomes the case in this game.
---
I'M GETTING SLEEPY!! ..................... I FEEL ASLEEP!!
#5LittleBigFan98Posted 10/17/2013 2:39:51 PM
What if Barbara becomes Batgirl for the end of the game and the DLC story is Killing Joke?
---
Official ''Spamstroke'' of Injustice: Gods Among Us board.
#6caboose84(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 3:16:51 PM
LittleBigFan98 posted...
What if Barbara becomes Batgirl for the end of the game and the DLC story is Killing Joke?

I wouldn't mind that at all. I guess there were some things I just didn't think about, like the game all happening in one night. I'm glad we're actually discussing it instead of everyone just throwing around insults lol.

But I wonder just what he might do to prove how terrible and dangerous he really can be in this game. I'm very excited to play it.
---
Karma Keepers
#7SSTrunks1138Posted 10/17/2013 3:31:59 PM
I've pieces together some of the plot I believe, at least according to the soundtrack.

Joker kidnaps Gordon at some point (I Have Left Enough Life in Him for Some Final Words, if You Hurry) you said him, and then you become (Allies).

Either that or Batman gets captured, and the he gets saved by Gordon.

Or I'm just wrong.
---
PSN: SSTrunks1138