SvM/Co-op connection issues? CLICK HERE!!!

#1darkjedilinkPosted 8/29/2013 5:09:16 AM
Ubisoft FINALLY responded to my support ticket, and gave me some new info on how to set up the Wii U internet connection to make matchmaking work better until the next patch. I've decided to make a thread that has ALL of the setup instructions put into one place.

There are two main things you need to do to the Wii U's internet connection in order to make everything work as best as it can - give it a static IP address, and put it in your wireless router's DMZ. I will cover both of those things in detail here.

HOW TO GIVE THE WII U A STATIC IP ADDRESS:
This is all done on the Wii U, but you will need some info from your router (login info, the IP address range for it, which is usually 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.254 but it could be something else, the Subnet Mask and the Default Gateway IP addresses [these last two things can also be gotten on Windows PC's via the command prompt (type cmd in the Search bar in the Start menu) by typing ipconfig).

1. Choose an IP address from your router's range that you KNOW will be free - if all of your devices are set to auto-obtain, the router will choose the lowest number and just increase it by one. Using the example above, my laptop's .1.2, my cellphone is .1.3, my Wii is .1.4, and so on. I only ever have a few items attached to my router, so choosing .1.99 is a safe bet.

2a. IF YOU ARE MODIFYING AN EXISTING CONNECTION - On the Wii U Gamepad, go System Settings > Internet > Connect to the Internet > Connections, then select the connection you wish to modify.

2b. IF YOU ARE MAKING A NEW CONNECTION - On the Wii U Gamepad, go System Settings > Internet > Connect to the Internet > Connection Types (top left corner of the Gamepad) > Manual Configuration. Click SSID and enter your connection name, and save it. Click Security and choose the security protocol for your router, then enter the password if applicable.

3. Click IP Address, then click Don't Auto-obtain. Click IP Address, and enter the IP address you chose. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT YOU ENTER THIS CORRECTLY. It's four fields with up to three numbers, each separated by a period. If one of the fields has less than three numbers, the Wii U will add zero's to the beginning of it to make it add up to three (going back to my example, it would change 192.168.1.99 to 192.168.001.099). THAT IS FINE, as long as the IP address you enter here is in the range your router supports. Once this is done, click OK.

4. Click Subnet Mask, then enter it. In a lot of cases, it's 255.255.255.0, but it may be something different. Click OK.

5. Click Gateway, then enter it. This will be the IP address of the router itself, and it will most likely be either 192.168.1.1, 192.168.100.1, 192.168.254.1 or 192.168.254.254. This can be found in your router's Owner's Manual or typing ipconfig in the command prompt. If you change settings on your router, you have to enter this to get at those settings. Click OK, then click Confirm.

6. Go back to Internet-Connection Setup (where you had to click IP address to get access to steps 3 thru 5) and click DNS. Click Don't Auto-obtain, then click Primary DNS. Set this to 8.8.8.8 (this is directly from Ubisoft). Click OK.

7. Click Secondary DNS, then enter 8.8.4.4. Click OK.

8. Leave Proxy Settings and MTU Value alone (unless you use proxy servers, in which case you should already know what to enter where, keeping in mind the use of proxy servers on this particular game is not recommended, with the connection issues we already face).

9. Do a connection test. If you entered the correct info according to these instructions, you should pass, and be ready to add the Wii U to your router's DMZ.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#2darkjedilink(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 5:31:22 AM(edited)
Now, on to adding your Wii U to your router's DMZ. This is router model-specific, so this post won't go into too much detail, but I will go into it a little bit. Between what I post and what's in your router's Owner's Manual, you should have no trouble adding it to the DMZ.

First, I want to talk about what the DMZ is and why you need to add the Wii U to it. The DMZ is basically an "area" of the router outside of its firewall. Any computing device connected to the router that you put in the DMZ is allowed unrestricted access to the internet - it can send info anywhere, and receive info from anywhere.

"Well, what about all that 'port forwarding' I heard about?" Similar premise, but a lot more focused - with Port Forwarding, you're telling your router to allow one-directional info travel to or from a particular IP address from or to a particular port. It's much more secure to the client than putting it in the DMZ, but requires a lot more info and can take a lot more time to set up. All you need for info to put the Wii U in the DMZ is the Wii U's IP address (which we know, and we know it will always be the same), whereas with Port Forwarding, you need the Wii U's IP address AND every TCP and UDP port to open for every game you play (there are usually two each, but I've seen a few games with five or six each, and you need ALL of them). For me, playing SvM and playing Black Ops 2, along with any other game I get in the future, having the Wii U in my DMZ is a hell of a lot easier than looking up the ports to forward (usually requiring a phone call or email to the developer).

For SvM, though, you actually NEED to put the Wii U into your router's DMZ because, at this point in time, Ubisoft has NOT released the ports for port forwarding for this game on ANY platform. As such, the only option is to use the DMZ.

Okay, enough sizzle, on to the steak - how to put the Wii U into the DMZ. As I said, step-by-step instructions are router-specific, so get a hold of your Owner's Manual, or google-search [router's brand and model number] dmz.

Basically, you log into your router by typing the Gateway you used in the first post into your internet browser's address bar on your computer, and press enter (ex. 192.168.1.1 [enter]). You'll likely be asked to type a user name and a password, and if you haven't changed it, the default is usually admin/admin or admin/password (again, see your router instructions if you need help). Look for a header for something along the lines of "WAN settings" or "Advanced settings." You're looking for a subheading that says "DMZ" somewhere in it. When you get access to the page that allows you to add something to the DMZ, just type the Wii U's IP address and click "Save" or "OK."

At this point, all should be good to go. I'd recommend restarting the router at this point, but that might just be me being superstitious. Even if you don't restart the router, you've now done everything Ubisoft recommends if you have connection issues in Splinter Cell: Blacklist. However, don't forget to submit report tickets at support.ubi.com if you're still having problems with it.

I hope this helps.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#3mubadudaPosted 8/29/2013 5:56:52 AM
already did this, spies vs mercs is very laggy and i still get the freeze. I will say this though, co op is working now, i usually have to wait for a while to find someone, but when i do it works like a charm. CONCLUSION: they need to patch the hell out of this game, its too awesome of a game to ignore.
#4darkjedilink(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 12:30:26 PM
mubaduda posted...
already did this, spies vs mercs is very laggy and i still get the freeze. I will say this though, co op is working now, i usually have to wait for a while to find someone, but when i do it works like a charm. CONCLUSION: they need to patch the hell out of this game, its too awesome of a game to ignore.

I knew it wouldn't solve the freeze, and a patch IS forthcoming.

However, one question - did you set the DNS servers to what I posted? That's the newest piece of info that Ubisoft gave me.
---
#5mubadudaPosted 8/29/2013 4:44:59 PM
yes, the same instructions can be found on the nintendo homepage, but my main source was an IGN atricle for wii u online. They definitely need to patch it, I think they already have on the pc and still no go, ps3 is good to go from what i undrstand, havent heard anything from xbox.
#6felony211662Posted 8/29/2013 5:38:14 PM
I just put my Wii u into dmz, but I also have problems connecting to svm at all but the Coop does work better
#70bitPosted 8/31/2013 12:36:14 PM
This solution made it much easier for me to connect to games online. Thanks!
---
Wii U: ether_breather 3DS: 3695-0032-0292 ether
XBL: ether breather Steam: _ether_breather_
#8darkjedilink(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 12:49:08 PM
0bit posted...
This solution made it much easier for me to connect to games online. Thanks!

It does help a bit (which is why I posted it), and I'm glad it helped you.

Now, if Ubisoft would just patch their broken game, I'd probably never see GameFAQs again.
---