Blood dragon as a smart business decision.

#1quickbeamPosted 5/6/2013 3:53:22 PM
So, take a franchise like far cry and use it to create something which recycles animations, textures, and gameplay mechanics from a game with wider mass appeal and use those assets to create something that appeals to a niche market, then make it available to everyone (including people who maybe weren't interested in the original game) at a substantially discounted rate.

There are just so many possibilities. What if Bethesda used their skyrim engine and mechanics to make a steampunk themed rpg? Or if dice used battlefield assets to create an homage to the mad max movies? Modders are already doing this via total conversion mods--I just feel like developers can probably do it better and cleaner AND offer a less expensive product that I'll want to buy as a result.
---
Holy **** a topic full of internet tough guys. Reality check, misanthropy stopped being cool, as well as idolizing Vegeta. - Vyyk
#2casedawgzPosted 5/6/2013 4:55:16 PM
I think Blood Dragon actually has MORE mass appeal than fc3.
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#3quickbeam(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 6:58:57 PM
casedawgz posted...
I think Blood Dragon actually has MORE mass appeal than fc3.

Not from what I've read online it doesn't. Just look in the comment section underneath gamespot's review and you'll see a bunch of people who absolutely hate the color palette and who just want to run around on a tropical island a second time.
---
Holy **** a topic full of internet tough guys. Reality check, misanthropy stopped being cool, as well as idolizing Vegeta. - Vyyk
#4quickbeam(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 6:59:54 PM
*a tropical island not covered in pink, that is
---
#5raymanfan1Posted 5/7/2013 2:18:26 AM
Yeah, I'd admit that it doesn't seem like a good business decision. Much of the target audience (teens with dem RAGIN HOREMONEZ that need to SHOOT ALL OF THE THINGS) of the original FarCry 3 will completely miss the point and hate it.
That doesn't stop it being AWESOME.
---
Meh.
#6PokeyBananaPosted 5/7/2013 3:01:01 PM
The average age of gamers is going up. So the 80s appeals to many gamers 28 plus of which there has never been more.
---
Day 1 DLC - Paying rent on what you already own
#7papayaPosted 5/7/2013 7:16:28 PM
Usually these are reserved for modders to do it.

It takes alot of resources for big companies to come up with a mod that they don't know whether it'll sell well or not.

See all the famous mods are done private and some sold to the company like Counter Strike.

Usually the Marketing cost a big chunk of the cost.
---
(D^_^)D
#8KalabamPosted 5/8/2013 12:22:58 PM
PokeyBanana posted...
The average age of gamers is going up. So the 80s appeals to many gamers 28 plus of which there has never been more.

Some of us are even in our 40's! :-)
#90megaDragonSworPosted 5/8/2013 11:00:22 PM
Well it worked for me, I dislike the tribal setting of the base Far Cry 3, but I saw gameplay and would have liked to play it. Then this came out with robots and stuff, and while I have been living under a rock forever so I haven't watched like any of the movies the game references, sci fi is awesome and I can appreciate the kinda style it is.

Waitin for Fallout 4, lol, would be fine if it played more like Far Cry 3
---
PSN- Mushinronja
Youtube - Mushinronja - Dark Souls Extended Themes & More :D
#10schlaufuchsMIKEPosted 5/10/2013 7:41:22 PM
It's missing that audience that prefers to own hard copies of their games. It's the only reason I don't have this yet (I'll probably break down and buy it sometime, though).
---
"This is America - none of us are supposed to be here." ~ Peter Hornberger, 30Rock