Comprehensive notes on why this game is an affront to the Yoshi's Island series.

#31endergamer537Posted 3/17/2014 12:53:57 PM
You were wrong in the final paragraph. Before you get all flustered, this doesn't mean I don't think the game is subpar, but I'm just noting something wrong.

The Gustys only appear if you stand on the area with the flower- otherwise you can go on your merry way and never encounter them. Even after you've collected the flower, if you go into a previous pipe and come back and stand on the spot where the flower used to be, the Gustys will spawn again. That red coin gave me a decent amount of trouble when I played the level.
---
3DS FC: 1864-8493-9429
All hail Centaur Therapist Jesus!
#32RatheV(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2014 1:20:34 PM
endergamer537 posted...
The Gustys only appear if you stand on the area with the flower- otherwise you can go on your merry way and never encounter them. Even after you've collected the flower, if you go into a previous pipe and come back and stand on the spot where the flower used to be, the Gustys will spawn again. That red coin gave me a decent amount of trouble when I played the level.

I don't know what to tell you, other than I did both of these things, multiple times, and never got them to respawn. I believe you when you say that it worked for you, but I posted this topic on the 3DS boards, and somebody over there said that they had the same problem as me, and tried the same things to fix it, and eventually had to do the same thing I did to get the red coin.
#33endergamer537Posted 3/17/2014 1:24:48 PM
Wow... did you get a physical or digital copy? I don't think this should affect anything, but I got a digital copy. Anyways, that really sucks. Sorry, that would definitely ruin the game much more for me.
---
#34RatheV(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2014 1:27:28 PM
endergamer537 posted...
Wow... did you get a physical or digital copy? I don't think this should affect anything, but I got a digital copy. Anyways, that really sucks. Sorry, that would definitely ruin the game much more for me.

Physical. I honestly don't plan on keeping this game once I'm done with it.

Again, though, it was only those enemies that refused to respawn. I haven't had that problem anywhere else in the game
#35RatheV(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2014 1:31:41 PM
2-7

Lakitus, appearing in this level, are also changed to look like their NSMB versions.

Not much to say, really. You use a giant egg in the beginning to break a few blocks so you can backtrack to get a flower you couldn't have before. I guess that's a clever use of the idea?

Towards the end of the level, there's an area made of breakable blocks that Lakitus destroy by throwing spinies at you. That'd be cool, if there weren't giant donut blocks under them, completely negating any difficulty or challenge.
#36RatheV(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2014 4:19:19 PM
2-8

This level is all about using eggs to raise these spiked logs on a pulley system, so you can dash under it. The egg delay makes hitting those pulleys tedious - to be fair, it wasn't my favorite activity in YI, either.

The 'Blargwiches' are actually a fun and well-done concept. Remember the ghost platform from the original game? It was basically a moving platform, but it would rise up occasionally? That's basically a Blargwich. Ground pounds cause them to rise up, allowing you to nab coins and such. Neat.

The boss of this world is count fang, and... AHA HA HA HA HA. Any description of how pathetic this boss is would take longer than it did to actual defeat him, and probably longer than Arzest took in designing him.

That said, it might have worked better if they'd stuck to Yoshi's Island traditional 6 or so hits per boss, instead of 3. Then we'd be looking at maybe a minute-long boss fight, as opposed to a 30-second one.
#37RatheV(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2014 4:47:05 PM
2-S : All Aboard the Terrain Train!

Ugh. Just... Ugh.

This level was so close, you guys. So close to being a fun, interesting and unique concept.

Unfortunately, it isn't. Instead, we have the perfect storm of all the little problems and nitpicks with Yoshi's New Island coming together to create a thoroughly unenjoyable experience out what should have been a fantastic stage.

The titular 'Terrain Train' is a large moving platform that takes up the vast majority of the screen, shaped like large stairs. There are 3 'steps' on this mobile staircase - one in the lower right, one in the middle, and one on the upper left. During the course of the stage, this platform moves to the right, smashing through breakable blocks and forcing Yoshi to leap between steps to avoid getting crushed.

This is a really cool idea. And for a few minutes, it was fun. What's wrong with it?

Design - in order to 100% this level, you basically need to be a psychic. You want to run ahead of the terrain train, onto the breakable blocks, to collect red coins and stars before the train destroys the platforms you need to collect them. But this being Yoshi's New Island, sometimes standing in a certain area causes red coins to appear - but these coins appear behind you, meaning that unless you were way ahead of the train, the coins appear behind the train, making it impossible to get them. There's no way of knowing this beforehand.

There's also at least one flower during a vertical-moving section that you basically have to stand right under ahead of time to collect, as the camera doesn't show enough above Yoshi for you to see it until its too late.
Graphics - the breakable blocks in this level come in different shapes in sizes. Most of them are 1x1 'tiles' for lack of a better term. Others are 2x2, and then some are long vertical or horizontal pieces, and others are shaped like Tetriminos (Tetris blocks).

Whenever the terrain train touches one of these blocks, the whole block crumbles. That's not the problem. The problem is that these blocks are often clustered together, and the edges of the blocks aren't clearly defined. You can tell if you look hard enough, but good luck doing that while trying to collect everything. If the blocks had thicker or more stylized lines around their edges, a la the original YI art style. this wouldn't be a problem.

Controls - So, remember how I said in the last special stage that Yoshi has a tendency to ground pound whenever he damn pleases? And remember a few stages back when I said that ground pounds tend to take you through several layers of breakable blocks? ... I don't think I need to explain further.

Stars, as usual, are frustrating to collect because Yoshi doesn't run at full speed for a few seconds. This, coupled with the fact that the stars are boucning around on platforms that are actively being destroyed by the terrain train, does not make for a pleasant time.

This level also has several fly guys carrying red coins, zipping through the air and giving you maybe 2 seconds to collect your coin or go f*** yourself. But as usual, Yoshi just loves taking his sweet time leisurely pulling out an egg to throw.

After a few dozen failed attempts, I'm giving up on 100%ing this level. In fact, from here on out, I'm just going to play the game normally. I don't know for sure that the rest of the secret unlockable levels will be as disappointing as these 2, but I know at least one of them features Poochy, so...

(Side note - beating all the secret levels with 100% unlocks nothing. Absolutely nothing. The verdict is still out on whether or not collecting 1,000,000 coins unlocks a golden Yoshi statue for the title screen.)
#38RatheV(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2014 5:22:42 PM
World 3:

So I was away from my computer while playing this world, and didn't really get to take proper notes on each level. I don't love you guys near enough to go through and replay the stages again, so this will just be a brief overview, and world 4 will be business as usual.

You really aren't missing much, believe me. A massive amount of the levels here rip from the original, and while some do it more competently than others, there's really very little of note added.

One of those things worth mentioning is that metal eggs let you sink under the water, where you can walk around on the sea floor, a lot like Super Mario 64. When you throw them, you'll rise back up to the surface. Cool!

On the other hand... vehicle sections.

I neglected to mention the helicopter in the last world, so let me explain it here - it moves forward, and you tilt the console to change your altitude. There are coins everywhere, some of them might be red ones, and if you miss a single one, you get to wonder if it was red or not, unless you feel like letting time run out intentionally so you can replay the section.

Turns out, there's a way to go backwards and collect missed coins - press literally any button on the system, and your helicopter turns on the air brakes and starts flying backwards. The problem is that the game refers to this as 'hover' which doesn't really indicate at all what it does.

And then the submarine. It controls basically like the helicopter, but worse, and with areas requiring 90% turns. Also it shoots missiles to break things. Have fun playing this in public.

There was actually a pretty decent variety of music in this world, with several new songs introduced. Nothing I found to be hummable, but I appreciate the variation if nothing else.

I also liked some of the backgrounds - a few stages featured a gray, pencil sketchy one that reminded me of World of Goo or something.

Unfortunately, I didn't get long to appreciate either of the above - now that I'm not going for full completion, it has come to my attention that these stages are short as hell. I mean, I think they're actually shorter than the SNES levels. I probably beat the whole of world 3 in 15 -20 minutes, max.

The bosses were also odd. Kamek's mid-world fight was inappropriately difficult. You have to hit him by popping the balloons floating above him with eggs, causing them to drop missiles on him. It sounds similar to the first bucket fight on paper, but its so much more frustrating. You have to line up 2 things to get a hit - Kamek's position in relation to the balloon, and the angle of your shot. That's assuming, of course, that Kamek decides to be anywhere near a balloon in the first place - and you can't just run to him to shoo him away like last time, because that will probably trigger the balloons to drop missiles on you instead, meaning you have to wait for another balloon.

In contrast, the end boss was pretty tame. Remember Cloud N Candy from Yoshi's Story? Same idea, but once you lick the bubbles away to expose the core, you just toss an egg. Still, he was at least harder to beat than the last 2 bosses.

Neither of them hold a candle to the frog or pirahna plant from the original, though.
#39endergamer537Posted 3/17/2014 5:34:22 PM(edited)
I have no idea what they were thinking with Kamek's fight in World 3. That honestly felt more like late game material, with the egg plants shooting spiky balls on the sides, balloons with missiles everywhere, and Kamek trying to hit you with his energy balls. It was a ton to keep track of, and I thought World 4 and 5 were infinitely easier to beat with 30 stars than 3-4.

Also, I like 3-S and think it's the best the special level out of the first 3, although I suppose that doesn't say much. In case you might want to play it or want to hear what it is, here it is: the level features a moving Blarggwich, but it's the kind from the original game, so you can't ground pound it, it goes up at predetermined intervals marked by an up arrow. The design of the stage is really reminiscent of something the original game would do, and the stage imo is good ol fashioned YI fun. Not any invisible ? cloud bs that I can remember from this level either.
---
#40ThatGuyZPosted 3/17/2014 5:53:21 PM(edited)
Keep it up, Rath. This is informative and entertaining.
---
3DS: 5370-0900-3336(Ground: Trapinch, Nincada, Palpitoad)/Wii-U: NewZen41