What is the Captains true regret?

#1xWazManxPosted 5/16/2013 10:41:56 AM
And how do i resolve it?
---
Just call me Waz
Nintendo Network ID: xWazManx
#2IcewitchPosted 5/16/2013 11:50:52 AM
I'm not sure how to resolve it either. There's a journal on his bed where he says he lost a ring he wanted to give to Alex. I'm guessing you can find the lost ring somewhere on the ship.
---
Current GOTY: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Currently hyping: Dark Souls II
#3TheZuperHeroPosted 5/16/2013 12:45:59 PM(edited)
I've found the ring, it's in the vent near the body, accessible from the cold sleep chamber but I'm not sure what to do with it after obtaining it . . .

EDIT
His journal mentioned him wanting Alex to have it, and her cold storage chamber is one of the two being used but I'm still not sure how to proceed.

---
Currently Playing: Soul Hackers, Phoenix Wright 3, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
3DS Info: Jake - 4167-4549-4028 (Feel free to add me, message to be added back!)
#4AR-7Posted 5/16/2013 12:49:13 PM
Found the ring as well and I have some idea what to do with it, but it doesn't seem to be giving any results.

You can place the ring on any of the 6 desks in the Crew Quarters area. I think what you're supposed to do is work out which room belongs to each of the six crew members besides the Captain and Doctor, and then figure out which room to put the ring in. I assumed the right room would be Alex's which I think is either the one with the bear or the one with the journal. Putting the ring in either of these rooms doesn't seem to have an effect.

Maybe Alex's body is hidden away on the ship somewhere? Her fate is the only one left unknown at the end of the game and her portrait is the only one not filled in in the archives.
#5TheZuperHeroPosted 5/16/2013 12:59:41 PM
Maybe you could try putting it on the desk that belongs to the 2nd Lieutenant who has been impeding your progress throughout the game, since he's the one who survives? I'd try myself, but my 3DS died and I won't be home for a while.
---
3DS Info: Jake - 4167-4549-4028 (Feel free to add me, message to be added back!)
#6AR-7Posted 5/16/2013 1:05:19 PM
Huh... I somehow must have succeeded but I'm not sure what did it.

I tried placing the ring on various desks and removing it but nothing seemed to happen. Then after reading the edit to ZuperHero's previous post, I went back to the Cold Storage room to check the capsules and saw that Alex's and Nick's were in use. Then I went back to the main menu and noticed that the Alyssa option was now available to be selected.

But Alex's portrait is still greyed out in the archives so I don't even know.
#7xWazManx(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 1:15:06 PM
Yeh, seems all you have to do is place it on the desk.
Don't know which one exactly but I placed it on all and boom, you get it.
---
Just call me Waz
Nintendo Network ID: xWazManx
#8TheZuperHeroPosted 5/16/2013 1:17:02 PM
I think I figured it out! Just plugged in my 3DS and started experimenting! I activated the Alyssa icon on the title when I placed the ring on the desk in the room with the rugby ball. No profile for Alex on my end still, though, either. Also, sidenote: the Alyssa story was touching but also really sad seeing as how we know how her father ended up . . .
---
#9TheZuperHeroPosted 5/16/2013 1:19:01 PM
AR-7 posted...

But Alex's portrait is still greyed out in the archives so I don't even know.

Apologies for the double post, but I'm thinking that profile never gets filled. The others all had unlock criteria, this one doesn't. And we've run the gambit on solving this true regret nonsense, so I'm thinking that's the end of it.
---
#10DiaburoPosted 5/16/2013 3:12:32 PM(edited)
Well this is simply my deduction, *spoilers* by the way.

Crew quarters map layout looks like this:
[1]-[2]
[3]-[4]
[5]-[6]

Room 1 has the teddy bear on the table and by process of elimination, this is Nicolas's room.
Room 2 is unlocked using Bobby's card and has the whisky bottle under the table so it's obviously Bobby's room.
Room 3 has the journal about the AR vent system on the bed. Since Large is the only mechanic other than Bobby, this is speculated to be his room.
Room 4 is Abdul's room since he was found in the locker that can only be opened by the owner of the room.
Room 5 is Danny's room as the character is using his pod and there is a picture of Lucy on the locker in that room.
Room 6 has the rugby ball on the bed and is speculated to be Alex's room since the Captain's Journal wrote about Abdul's complaint of Alex having her music too loud. Since this is the only other room that is touching Abdul's, this should be her room.

EDIT: Corrected my mistakes.
---
Veni, vidi, vici.